JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Tabletop emulator
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Tabletop emulator
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:35 pm  
    Tabletop emulator

This is something i been playtesting with for a fellow/friend. He is bout to put the final critical build into function. To show a bit im postin a pic here. Now yes its a map of greyhawk...BUT its just a pic i grabbed to show you can import your own pictures into the system. Tokens..anything...and its free.

Theres no charge for using it which is nice and allows tabletop play over the web.

Heres a pic(i hope im not violating anything)

GreySage

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 pm  

That is totally awesome! Thanks for sharing! Cool

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:08 pm  

It does look very cool. Keep us posted as the project progresses.

SirXaris
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:15 am  

That's all good Kefrem. Nice little tool! Now, to just get that turned into a table top display/battle board (gotta order a glass top and table-carriage made for that old 80" LCD TV Cool). We have the technology. It only takes time for it to become more affordable, or be better made use of. Greater things continue to lie ahead of us. Unveiling encounters one area at a time with click of a mouse. Or, miniatures with chips in their bases that keep record of all sorts of things that interact with the map table top, such as light source/view distance, such that portions of maps (and possible enemies) become visible, chances to notice concealed/secret doors, such that minis moved by them might revel them on the table top screen (all chances auto-calculated by the computer, of course), and so many other possible things. And these are all simple interface programming things too. Nothing really all that complex. It just hasn't been applied yet to the full extent that it could be.

But it will be. Eventually. Cool

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 am  

Well if you got suggestions....do post em!

http://www.epicalonline.com/info.html

We are tryin to keep the complexity down as that seems to be the norm for these things...8 billion functions makes it hard for the younger players to grasp.

Just to point out a few more features...i mentioned youcan import tiles or pictures from anywhere. But you can also resize the tokens or any picture to any shape. There is a character sheet function with blank pages so players can type whatever they want and organize thier sheet how they like.

you can raise and lower maps...tiles for different level 3d mapping....its a lovely little TT system. Go give it a try.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:38 pm  

Just to whet your appetite a bit more...heres some tokens i whipped up and a tiny dungeon with a few odds and ends to add some flavor.

Paladin

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:55 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Nice little tool! ........ We have the technology. ...... Greater things continue to lie ahead of us. Unveiling encounters one area at a time with click of a mouse. Or, miniatures with chips in their bases that keep record of all sorts of things that interact with the map table top, such as light source/view distance, such that portions of maps (and possible enemies) become visible, chances to notice concealed/secret doors, such that minis moved by them might revel them on the table top screen (all chances auto-calculated by the computer, of course), and so many other possible things. And these are all simple interface programming things too. Nothing really all that complex. It just hasn't been applied yet to the full extent that it could be.
    But it will be. Eventually. Cool

Big C ... it is to things like this I was refering in our other discussion...
    and
    as discussed would be better viewed by all here http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=39
    than to be just within the 3.x subforum....
    just my 2cp and adhearing to my own Needfest Resolution to help all better catigorize topics... Wink

Kefrem>
    Good find.. keep 'em coming!
    Though must say as an old schooler... the whole Icloud thing leaves me distrustful..... I grew up in an age where bulletin boards were "similar" and were there one day and gone to the abyss the next... your info with them.... I realize this is the "new" trend... but even now, I still see lots of 404 not found errors in the net archives......
    It is for that reason I have my own 20T server...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm  
    yow!

Holy cats!

I am both impressed and amazed!
    When I started gaming we had no minis, even. Character sheets were years in the future. We had...graph paper!
    How gaming has grown!
    Paladin

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:51 am  
    Re: yow!

bugsy wrote:
    Holy cats!
    When I started gaming we had no minis, even. Character sheets were years in the future. We had...graph paper!
    How gaming has grown!

LOL Welcome to the grognard's lists Bugsy!!!
    I also remember the days of Chits!
    Before there were "funny" shaped dice and you would have to conduct raids on mom's yatzee game for dice. Wink Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:04 pm  

Oh yes! And my 1st d20...I still had it until the late 90s...it had no corners, it was worn entirely smooth....I wonder if they still make that kind of plastic? Or maybe it was made of mercury, lead, and asbestos?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:16 am  

In ma group we were't so poor we 'ad tut use t' dartboard an't one of muvver's knitting needles t' roll t' hit......................................

That joke may not travel well as it requires a Yorkshire accent. If you can do it.......do it.
    Paladin

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:37 am  

Ragr wrote:
    In ma group we were't so poor we 'ad tut use t' dartboard an't one of muvver's knitting needles t' roll t' hit......................................

That joke may not travel well as it requires a Yorkshire accent. If you can do it.......do it.

DUH I thought there was a uplink text problem with the thread there for a minute... until I got to the end and realized it was intentional Embarassed

Too Funny.. or as they say in your part of the world.... "Cheeky" arent ya Cool
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 28, 2013 7:49 pm  

That is very cool, but it is a little slow on my computer. Another virtual table top that I have frequently used, both in personal games and living greyhawk games is Open rpg.

http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=orpg&m=getorpg

It's a free program, a little tricky to get the hang of at first, but it works. Not to detract from the original topic but if your computer also has trouble handling the one posted this one might be a viable solution. (I need to upgrade my pc :P )
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:08 am  

So I found another virtual tabletop

roll20.net

Browser based, fast, fun, free.

Our campaign will probably be switching over to it.

It also has built in video/mic chatting as well.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:20 pm  

Surprised it's not been mentioned, but Fantasy Grounds is an excellent virtual table top program.

Edit: Nothing like inadvertently engaging in thread necromancy, but my comment about FG stands.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: