JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Recovery after Unconsciousness
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    Recovery after Unconsciousness
    GreySage

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 pm  

mcneilk wrote:
    Anger and irrationality started to take over my feelings.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I said this in another thread post, but I'll say it again here:

As DMs and Players we are all simply actors. Most times, we aren't even worthy of starring in "C" flicks, much less "B" flicks.

What do you think actors do? They Role Play . . . and that's what we are supposed to be doing. We can't take things personally. When two PCs back-stab each other in the game, what on earth does that have to do with the two real life people sitting at the table? Confused

You are Role Playing . . . you are Acting . . . stop taking it personally. Admittedly, this is hard to do when even one person fails to behave in that manner during game play. But if such behavior continues, perhaps it's time to rethink whether or not that person belongs in your game. Question

As always, just have fun with it, it's a game, not real life. "You're" an actor . . . stop "taking your work home with you." Wink

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:00 pm  

trust me oh mighty mystic one i can act. I have the mad act down just about perfect. i am only joking... sort of. Its been 5 and a half months since i had a cigarette and i am zero to ripping someones head off in ten seconds. WTF happened to natural selection?

To be honest i was concerned but have since talked to the problem pc. I hope we have it figured. Will find out within the next three or so weeks as that will be the next time we play. Until then i will keep calm...
    GreySage

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 pm  

mcneilk wrote:
    Its been 5 and a half months since i had a cigarette

I just want to say that I am proud of you for this. I know from speaking with a few people (my now-deceased grandma among them) that kicking the habit of tobacco use is one of the toughest acts of willpower. GOOD FOR YOU. Stay the course. Your lungs and family will thank you for the sacrifice.

Quote:
    WTF happened to natural selection?

Don't worry. I still teach about it in class. Happy

Best of luck, and continued successful willpower ability checks to you!!!

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:55 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    mcneilk wrote:
    Its been 5 and a half months since i had a cigarette

I just want to say that I am proud of you for this . . . GOOD FOR YOU . . . Stay the course.

Ditto, Mcneilk! Well done! Cool

Lanthorn wrote:
    mcneilk wrote:
    WTF happened to natural selection?

Don't worry. I still teach about it in class.

You realize, of course, that Police were created for the specific purpose of doing away with "natural selection," a.k.a. "survival of the fittest" . . . aren't you? It's true!

Natural Selection = The weak get eaten. Shocked Evil Grin

Police = Weak get protection! Razz Evil Grin

Explain that to your students!

Mwahahahahahahaha!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    You realize, of course, that Police were created for the specific purpose of doing away with "natural selection," a.k.a. "survival of the fittest" . . . aren't you? It's true!

Natural Selection = The weak get eaten. Shocked Evil Grin

Police = Weak get protection! Razz Evil Grin

Explain that to your students!

Unless they are only protecting the rich and famous and neglecting the rest of us... Shocked

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Unless they are only protecting the rich and famous . . .

And just who told you the "rich and famous" were . . . strong? Confused

Evil Grin

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 am  

If the glove don't fit... you must aquit...
    Mawahaaaaahaaa

sorry just had to go there.... back to the shadows I go.... Evil Grin
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 pm  
    Game Versus Reality

It's a game so sometimes it doesn't make it fun to play too realistically. Reality can be a good starting point. I broke two ribs in judo last week when someone fell on me. I gotta say, I won't be able to laugh or cough without the pain of a broken bone for weeks. So I can go to work and sit at my computer but I can't play drums. The game rule/guidline that says, it'll take a month of rest before adventuring makes sense. I don't know how playable it is but it's a logical rule. I only fractured two ribs. If a character is supposed to have armor and equipment to carry with a broken leg, there's no way that character would be ready to hike and fight without magic without significant healing time.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 pm  
    Re: Game Versus Reality

Raymond wrote:
    It's a game so sometimes it doesn't make it fun to play too realistically. Reality can be a good starting point. I broke two ribs in judo last week when someone fell on me. I gotta say, I won't be able to laugh or cough without the pain of a broken bone for weeks. So I can go to work and sit at my computer but I can't play drums. The game rule/guidline that says, it'll take a month of rest before adventuring makes sense. I don't know how playable it is but it's a logical rule. I only fractured two ribs. If a character is supposed to have armor and equipment to carry with a broken leg, there's no way that character would be ready to hike and fight without magic without significant healing time.

Ouch!!!

Wish you a safe and speedy recovery. Well at least your player character could get a heal spell-you'll have to rely on science for now! Wink

Later

Argon
    Paladin

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 pm  

As I often point out to my players, "just because you have more HP than a Rhino, do you really believe... In REALITY, there's anyone that can take more abuse or damage? Wink
    Hit Points are a culmination of many things, not just the amount of physical abuse you can take...

@ Raymond...
    Feel for you there... it even makes things you thought simple "fun", rolling over in bed, pulling a tee shirt over your head, etc...
    As the Rizian say,,, that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger.... Get better dude...
    Paladin

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:03 pm  

To get the thread back on track.. another thought would be in the handling of damages that cannot be healed magically... Wink
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:25 am  
    Nonmagical Healing

Thanks, I'll be fine in a few weeks.

As Dark_Lord_Galen explicitly pointed out, the concept behind getting more hp with experience to also take into account how a character is better able to defend which doesn't really apply to falling off a ledge.
    GreySage

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:30 am  
    Re: Nonmagical Healing

Raymond wrote:
    As Dark_Lord_Galen explicitly pointed out, the concept behind getting more hp with experience to also take into account how a character is better able to defend which doesn't really apply to falling off a ledge.

Sure it does. Imagine me being knocked off a ledge. Now, imagine an experienced parkour expert being knocked off the same ledge. Which of us is likely to suffer more damage?

(If you answered, SirXaris, you get a cookie! Razz )

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:11 pm  
    Re: Nonmagical Healing

SirXaris wrote:
    Raymond wrote:

Sure it does. Imagine me being knocked off a ledge. Now, imagine a experienced parkour expert being knocked off the same ledge. Which of us is likely to suffer more damage?

(If you answered, SirXaris, you get a cookie! Razz )

SirXaris

Or anyone who can do a Parachute Landing Fall...
    Paladin

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:58 pm  

Sorry James
    No Skill checks nor Feats in 1e .
    Wink
    hehe Razz
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:02 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Sorry James
    Wink
    hehe Razz

Thats because the Dark Lord pushes them off the ledge. Surprised

Though you could make a dexterity check if that fails then an oppossed constitution check to determine how severe the damage is. Success straight damage no broken bones, failure by 1-2 points sprained area neck wrist ankle recovery time is 7 days minus a day for each bonus the players con score gives him or her to hit points. Failure by 3-4 points severe sprain or slight ligament damage. Recovery time is 14 days minus a day for each bonus the players con score gives them to bonus hit points. Failure by 5-6 points Broken digit or jaw slight fracture. Recovery time 28 days minus one day for every point of bonus hit points the character gets from their constitution score. Failure by 7-8 points Limb splinted, fractured rib, hip or shoulder. Recovery time is 90 days minus one day for every point of bonus hit points the character gets from their constitution score. Failure by 9-10 points crushed, shattered limb(s) broken rib(s), broken collarbone, ankle, hip or spine. Recovery time is 180 days minus one day for every point of bonus hit points the character gets from their constitution score. Failure by more then 10 points is left to the DM's discretion, though permanent paralysis or death is likely to occur.

Later

Argon
    Paladin

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:45 am  

Laughing Laughing ROFL
    I like how you think Argon.
    Ah the good ole days when the players only had a Dex check to hide behind.
    Back to the shadows of 3.5 for me
    MWAAAAHHAAAAHHH
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:53 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Sorry James
    Wink
    hehe Razz

There are proficiencies. I don't remember them now, but some of them might be applicable.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:53 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Laughing Laughing ROFL
    I like how you think Argon.
    Ah the good ole days when the players only had a Dex check to hide behind.
    Back to the shadows of 3.5 for me
    MWAAAAHHAAAAHHH

I've been told, that I work well with Texans. Laughing

Quote:
    There are proficiencies. I don't remember them now, but some of them might be applicable.

Your probably thinking of the tumble proficiency which would help someone in that scenario. Also certain 1st edition classes would be better equiped to deal with a fall then other classes hence the thief-Acrobat or the 1st edition monk or ninja.

Later

Argon
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:13 am  

Perhaps a wizard in billowing robes could get slightly reduced falling damage as he parachutes down ...

I think Raymond highlighted a good distinction earlier - reality vs unreality but also how rigidly do you stick to the rules? For me the rules are just a guide - if I'm in the middle of an exciting moment rather than break the flow I just make a rule up on the spot using common sense. I explain the the players that's what I'm doing and if they want I can check the book but they rarely do.

Also this whole recovery after injury topic raises the good question about how realistic (obvious fantasy occurences excluded) do you try and make your game? If you had to choose - which is more important to you - story or realism? Maybe this is topic for another thread?!
    GreySage

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:45 pm  

Wolfling wrote:

Also this whole recovery after injury topic raises the good question about how realistic (obvious fantasy occurences excluded) do you try and make your game? If you had to choose - which is more important to you - story or realism? Maybe this is topic for another thread?!

Yes, make it so! I, for one, will definitely chime in.

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:59 pm  

There was a thread about this i believe. Though i looked throughout the message board i could not find it.

I am sure it was there. In response to a post i made about water i thought. Anyone else remember this thread? anyone? Something about realism in the game? anyone?

(crickets chirping)
    GreySage

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:16 pm  

mcneilk wrote:
    There was a thread about this i believe. Though i looked throughout the message board i could not find it.

I am sure it was there. In response to a post i made about water i thought. Anyone else remember this thread? anyone? Something about realism in the game? anyone?

(crickets chirping)

Ha! I looked for that thread a couple of days ago, but couldn't find it. I was sure realism had been discussed. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's Canonfire search fu has failed him. Razz

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 pm  

mcneilk wrote:

(crickets chirping)

Funny. Last night I had considered posting about remembering a recent thread about realism vs storyline.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:38 am  

It must be a sign to either find and resurrect the old one or start one a-new!
    Paladin

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:33 am  

A month or so agao I had a thread dealing with realism and damage but as it related to Dragons ....HERE
    And I too recall somewhere this being kicked around with the discussion on critical hits for 3.5, but can't seem to find that thread...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: