Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - D&D Next and Greyhawk!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
    D&D Next and Greyhawk!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:21 am  
    D&D Next and Greyhawk!

The D&D Next team revives old Greyhawk materials for new edition! Wink

Quote:
    The Shelf of Infinite Books

Back at Gen Con last year, we announced that we were once again going to make certain titles of classic D&D material available for purchase as PDF files. I'm happy to announce that our friends over at DrivethruRPG.com are offering the first of many waves of classic content through our new PDF store DnDClassics.com!

Initially, you'll see classics such as the B-series of modules, the entirety of the first mega-campaign, spanning the G, D, and Q series of adventures, Greyhawk sourcebooks, and more showing up on DrivethruRPG's virtual shelves. Personally, I'm running a D&D Next playtest of Steading of the Hill Giant Chieftain every Friday afternoon at the office from a PDF loaded on to my iPad.

More info here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20130122
    Paladin

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm  

Mixed feelings on all of this.. on one hand its nice to see that new adventurers can enjoy the classics that made the game what it is today, still popular..
    On the other hand,
    it sickens me to see WOC doing a "hollywood" for generating a cash run.... Regurgitating the originals in a new "graphic" is akin to Hollywood re-re-making / re-booting re-whatever because there is no one left "in town" with a creative NEW idea..... How about WOC recognizing GH as a still viable campaign setting with a loyal fan base? How about build on the MANY areas still left largely unfinished instead of continuing past sins??......
    If not to any of this ..
    Then how about RELEASING it from its "Imprisoned Shelf" to open GL and let those that love it, care for it...
    I reliquish the soapbox to the forum.....
    hehehe
    GreySage

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:11 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    On the other hand, it sickens me to see WOC doing a "hollywood" for generating a cash run.... Regurgitating the originals in a new "graphic" is akin to Hollywood re-re-making / re-booting re-whatever because there is no one left "in town" with a creative NEW idea..... How about WOC recognizing GH as a still viable campaign setting with a loyal fan base?

Here! Here! Here! and HOOOZZZAAHH!

(Had to return the favor Wink )

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 am  

Well, PDFs coming back will make a lot of people happy. Hopefully the PDFs will be fully OCR'd (and therefor searchable), edited as need, and re-formatted, rather than just crappy scans like previously in most cases. If they are re-vamped, I may even be convinced to get a few things that I didn't get before, or re-buy favorites that I did get, but that were just simple scans. This would be a particularly good thing for the bigger source books and super modules.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 am  

I'm a 3ed Greyhawk fan so I don't know what things were real cool from 1ed. Maybe you could make some good modules list for "newbies"? Cool

And I agree with Hollywood thing, but it's better that old adventures coming back, that no adventures whatsover. Sad
    GreySage

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Hopefully the PDFs will be fully OCR'd (and therefor searchable), edited as need, and re-formatted, rather than just crappy scans like previously in most cases.

Those actions would make them worth collecting, but not a simple scan. I have access to all those old modules already. A simple scan does me no good whatsoever, so why would I bother? Razz

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:31 pm  

I agree, I'm not for sure if they are OCR'd, but from what I have read that the scan jobs are much better of what they had out before. So they must be redoing them, not just throwing up old pdf scans. I haven't bought one yet so don't take my word for it.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:17 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Mixed feelings on all of this.. on one hand its nice to see that new adventurers can enjoy the classics that made the game what it is today, still popular...

-Not just new adventurers. There's still a lot of stuff I never got around to getting. I could get UK3 The Final Enemy to complete the Saltmarsh/Seaton trilogy at a nice price (I just haven't done it yet since I won't be doing anything in that neck of the swamp for a while). But I would like to get Deep Dwarven Delve (L3) to add to Restenford, Garrotten, and the Shark Hunter which links Lendore and Seaton, but good luck getting it for less than $40; same with WSG1 Five Shall Be One ($25). And then there's the UK/NB stuff set in the Sea Princes. It'll be tough on sellers, but good for me.

Hee hee hee! Razz Laughing
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:15 pm  

Regarding the new PDFs at www.dndclassics.com, go download B1 In Search of Adventure, and see for yourselves. (It's free for the first week.) It's a clean, fully OCRd, bookmarked PDF. I've heard similar feedback from those who've purchased some of the other releases.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:11 pm  

Newest update to D&D Next adds bestiary for Against the the Slave Lords module collection. As my players are in Sterich now, I think about proposing this classic for them to play next. Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:05 pm  

wyrdhamster wrote:
    Newest update to D&D Next adds bestiary for Against the the Slave Lords module collection. As my players are in Sterich now, I think about proposing this classic for them to play next. Wink
    I saw this in the store yesterday, so naturally I picked it up. This is the first of the hardcover reprints I've bought and was pleasantly surprised, especially by the inclusion of an introductory "fifth" module A0 Danger at Darkshelf Quarry. Back in the day I only got a chance to run a little of this series, now I'm looking forward to the whole thing.
    GreySage

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:50 pm  

wyrdhamster wrote:

Is this the reprint with the artwork commissioned from fans, including many of our own Canonfire! members?

SirXaris

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:59 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Is this the reprint with the artwork commissioned from fans, including many of our own Canonfire! members?

SirXaris

Yes it is, although I didn't realize some of it had been submitted by CF! members. The artwork ranges from amateur to very good. Regardless, its a nice extra to include in the book. Some great nostalgia.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:06 pm  

Also on the topic of the slavelords, some may be interested to know that Dungeon #215 (I think..?) will have a sequel to the series called "The Last Slavelord", written for 1st edition and conversion notes for 4th and 5th as well. So including the new module written in the hardcover reprint, that's two 1st edition adventures added to the Slavelords series.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:16 pm  

Going through the free download of the 5e Basic Rules I'm seeing a few GH references, although most references are to Faerun. I've heard that will be the "core" setting, as much as there is one, and if true, I really can't blame them. From a marketing angle Faerun won the setting wars long ago; us 'Hawkers are just too stubborn to admit it. Almost all settings get a mention, but still, it's nice to see Greyhawk mentioned in the context of elven subraces as well as a couple of other things.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:28 am  

Will there be Greyhawk book setting for D&D 5th edition? If not - what would be needed to make fan setting materials? Because I think I will prepare long term game. Or at least return to our started Spider Queen. Wink
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 am  

Probably depends on how the core books and other products sell. One thing I think we have a better chance of getting is revisions of some iconic GH, old school modules, like White Plume Mountain, etc ... Beyond that, for me, I've already got about everything I need to DM a 5e game in GH if that turns out the direction I want to go in ... even though I swore I would NEVER buy another edition. Embarassed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:01 pm  

I've not seen anything from WotC indicating that they plan on releasing any new Greyhawk content and the Forgotten Realms is still their default and flagship setting. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They do state that they want to support all settings tho and reference Greyhawk in Basic D&D.

You know there's something I don't quite get. So I think I'll frame it as a question.

What strategy do folks think WotC should use to remain a viable company?

There's been plenty of criticism on the net about them churning out new books. About them not supporting older editions. About them making new versions of the game.

So they start doing quality reprints and releasing professional quality OEM PDFs of old material. The make a unifying edition with one objective it being "the One edition". They give Basic D&D away free. They go out of their way to get huge community input and feedback.

This seems a good balance to me but... still folks criticize. People are funny, aren't they?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:48 am  

I guess people are so used to leveling criticism at WotC that the level has yet to subside. WotC is moving in the right direction I think. The open testing surely garnered them a ton of feedback and goodwill; I thought it all went off very well at least. But I think the open testing was done with an understanding of "We are going to do things in D&D 5E using this method. What about this method, if anything, would you change to help this method work better?" If somebody isn't open to this method, well, they really are not going to be in WotC's market any longer. That will end up losing some people, but not many, as most of those folks already left the building.

One way to perhaps lure them back, or at least appeal to a broader base, is with the campaign setting material. The rules are really not the "thing" that keeps peoples' interest. But if a book is all fluff fewer people have a "need" to buy it. You slap some rules content in there for various things, and now you have a book that more people will buy whether they play in that particular setting or not. Some people will want just the rules, some people will want just thee setting material, and some people will want both. I know plenty of people who use/have used Forgotten Realms (and other campaign settings) rules re-branded for Greyhawk, myself included, and that just covers one of those groups of folks.

So that's what they need to do- marry the new rules with campaign setting material so as to appeal to the broader base. And adventures. Lots of people simply don't like to write adventures. They need to write adventures, and they seem to be doing so; at least at the outset. They need to maintain the output of adventures, and if they are not going to do it then they need to continue to license it. Overall, they need to insure support for the full array of products required for their game, and they they been woefully neglectful of the two things that really spark people's interest- the settings and adventures set in those settings. The game isn't about the core rulebooks and expansions to them. It is about the adventures and the settings. The core rules are just a facilitator. If they concentrate on the right things I think they will sell a lot of product to a broader base.

Putting out the free download of the core rules is a good way for them to get information out there, and to get people acclimatized to D&D 5E before the core rulebooks are released. I am very much NOT a fan of the planned staggered release of the core rulebooks though. It is like releasing Monopoly...but releasing the game board one month, the dice and game pieces the next month, and the rules and money the next month. This doesn't build hype, merely serves to annoy the hell out of people (could be that there are legitimate logistics/security reasons for it though).

That's just my opinion though, and any of the views in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Canonfire!, canonfire.com, or any of its affiliates blah, blah, blah... Laughing

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:44 am  

It is clear the WotC moved 5E closer to its roots. It feels more like a streamlined 3E, than 4E. 5E has obviously put more emphasis on roleplaying, out of combat abilities, variation in classes, etc.

One critical thing which 5E has done is make itself far more setting neutral and far more combatable with previous settings. 4E went for the FR setting with extremely weird changes (dragonborn, elandrin, etc.) which even the FR folks didn't buy. 4E not only split the community between editions, it also split the community via settings. If you wanted to play Greyhawk, you had to fix classes, Gods, add core races, etc. All just to play in one of the core generic settings. IMO, that was the truly unforgivable failing of 4E since it was absolutely unnecessary.

Now with 5E, it is clear that the core books have been moved such that you can play in the standard settings. Half-orcs, gnomes, druids, standard spells, etc. check... check... check. I can pull out my 3E Greyhawk Gazetteer (or my 1E Gazetteer) and make a Greyhawk campaign again.

If WotC wants to make classic adventures... set in Greyhawk... fine. Is it a money grab and shows a lack of imagination? Sure. But what do I care? If it gets more people back into D&D, win back their players, and introduces more folks to Greyhawk... it is still a win for the community. Do I wish they would spend time on new Greyhawk materials... sure, but WotC is likely not in a good position with 5E... they need to win back customers. If classic adventures do that... great. I don't begrudge them for making money or trying to solidify their player base. If they aren't successful, I'll be stuck with the Pathfinder setting or trying to convince folks to play 3.x.
    Novice

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:43 pm  

I only possess the original Greyhawk setting, and I have become enamored with the 5E rules. I am currently engaged in tabletop as well as PbP games using 5E. However, I am really interested in using the Greyhawk setting, but which version for which edition works best for 5E until WoTC decides to publish an update to the setting? Is Living Greyhawk Gazetteer from 2000 the best option?
    Master Greytalker

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:09 am  

Filios wrote:
    I only possess the original Greyhawk setting, and I have become enamored with the 5E rules. I am currently engaged in tabletop as well as PbP games using 5E. However, I am really interested in using the Greyhawk setting, but which version for which edition works best for 5E until WoTC decides to publish an update to the setting? Is Living Greyhawk Gazetteer from 2000 the best option?

Welcome to Canonfire!, Filios. The answer to your question depends on what kind of DM you are. The '83 boxed set (and to an even greater extent the '80 folio) were painted in broad strokes. Gary's intention was that the DM would fill in the details to suit his own campaign style. If that suits your taste, the boxed set would be the best place to start. If, on the other hand, you want a setting more fully developed, with details aplenty, then the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is an excellent resource.
    Novice

Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:32 pm  

Thanks DMPrata! I will likely try the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. Very much appreciated.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:03 pm  

One of the great things about the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is that, while published under a previous edition, it contains virtually no game mechanics. Thus, there is no need to convert anything to the new edition.

I will say, though, that after you've had time playing and familiarizing yourself with the setting, it's worthwhile (but not necessary) to eventually pick up the old box set. But, like I said, it's not necessary so don't feel pressured or be in a rush to do so.

There's a lot of great source material out there, but the LGG has everything you need to get started. And there's more Greyhawk material on this site, as well as members of the community that can help you out.[/i]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:24 pm  

FWIW I am running a campaign using the 1e/2e Greyhawk material with the 5e rules. I've not yet bothered to port anything to 5e, I simply use the equivalent monsters. It's gone very well so far and the players love it.

As we get to more pivotal parts of the campaign I'll port stuff. But if you read my blog you'll know that's pretty trivially done :-)
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: