http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2013/02/wizards-art-contest-submission.html
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:37 pm  
    Re: Wizards Art Contest Submission

mortellan wrote:
    Help a brother out!

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2013/02/wizards-art-contest-submission.html

Mort,

Unfortunately I don't have and never will have a facebook account. So It won't let me vote. Though I wish you the best of luck.

Later

Argon
    Paladin

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:47 am  
    Re: Wizards Art Contest Submission

Argon wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have and never will have a facebook account. So It won't let me vote. Though I wish you the best of luck.

Ditto that on both accounts
    GreySage

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:18 am  

Damn! That makes three of us, Mort. Sad

Terribly sorry, Mort, as I love your work! Cool Happy

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:45 pm  

Mort,

Is there an advertisement on the Wotc website for the contest? Because if there is I could start a post on the Wotc website in hopes that we could vote from the website. Since it a few of us Greyhawk fans do like like the social aka anti-social media. Hopefully we can get the vote to expand outside facebook. I hate company's that rely on facebook too much.

Later

Argon
    Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:15 pm  

You stodgy old men! That's okay... Laughing

I'm not sure if they're having voting on the main site. It does kinda show where Wizards places their emphasis still, on the younger social media crowd. Pfft!

No worries, if I see anything new I'll clue yall in.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:37 pm  

Great minds think alike Mortellan - I just enterred my own rendition of Markessa, scowling away in her lab! She was one of my favourite NPCs in those adventures too.

Best of luck!
    GreySage

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:13 pm  

Well, now that there are at least two of you (and probably Icarus, too), I can't commit to voting for anyone. I'm still trying to get my son to make a submission himself. If he does, I'll vote for his. If he doesn't, I'll vote for whichever impresses me most. Smile

SirXaris
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:42 am  

Whoa so a new entry that went up sometime last night has wracked up over 200 votes already! It pays to have friends I guess!

Have any other of you Canoneers enterred? Would be great to see some of us represented in the final publication!
    Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 pm  

Wolfling, yours is amazing. I hope it gets in to tell you the truth, just as long as someone from CF is represented.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:42 am  

Thanks Mortellan! I'm hoping to get through via the panel of judge votes. I just don't know enough people with facebook to get the friend/fan votes and I'm pretty sure I won't get 300 before Sunday hehe!

To be honest I hope all of the submissions get published, they all have things about them I like and I think if this contest is more than just a publicity stunt but a chance for fans to get involved in something they love like I hope it is then it would great to see all the entrants rewarded for their effort!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!
    GreySage

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:48 am  

I'm curious about a few things. Looking through the submissions I notice that there are only about a dozen and the numbers of votes they are getting is completely off with respect to the quality of the art.

I expected there to be hundreds of submissions. Have I missed something?

I saw that some of the best pieces of very few votes while one or two that aren't nearly as interesting have hundreds. This tells me that it is likely a popularity contest so far. I'm sure that's why they reserved the right for the publisher to vote as well and their votes count for much more than the popular vote.

Anyway, I agree with Wolfling in that all of the pictures are worthy of publication in the new printing as they all remind us of that iconic style and feel of those old school modules.

SirXaris
    Paladin

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 pm  

Ditto to SX assessments. I, for curiousity sake, took a look as well. I also see a "sway" in the voting related to popularity versus talents... of course I have no room at all to be a critic.... if it were not for rulers, I would be destine to draw curvy lines. Wink
    Was further suprised in what I didnt see... submissions by Icarus, Cebrion, Grodog and Anna just to name some.... Now I realize the latter are more "cartographers" but is that not also an art form? Would not a local map be in order? The criteria did allow for the digital drawing....
    Any way best of Luck to all.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm  

Some map entries would be great! Although I can't remember off hand if they fall within the submission guidelines.

Hmm yeah I have to admit something odd going on with the voting. I am wondering if the app they use for the competition allows a person to vote more than once?

There are still a few more days left for other CF artists to submit an entry! Get scribbling everyone! If some of you guys who want to enter don't have FB I'm sure we can find someone on here to submit an entry on your behalf.

Actually I was, like you SX, surprised by the lack of submissions. Maybe there will be a lot of new ones being enterred before the closing date on Sunday.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:22 pm  

Wolfling wrote:
    Actually I was, like you SX, surprised by the lack of submissions. Maybe there will be a lot of new ones being enterred before the closing date on Sunday.

I read through the rules and see that select employees of WotC will judge the submissions and make all decisions regarding which pieces get published with two very interesting caveats:
    1) The one picture that gets the most fan votes is in for sure as the 'Fan Pic';
    2) Those select WotC employee judges will select up to 60 submissions for inclusion in the publication. Shocked There are only 18 submissions so far. Looks like they've all got a good chance of being included. Razz

My son's still working on his. He chose to do a subject not covered by anyone else yet, nor was there a picture of it in the original.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:20 am  

I posted my entry yesterday for the contest. While I think WotC dropped the ball on the way they did the "fan votes," out of curiosity, I decided to vote on my own twice just to see if it would allow multiple votes by the person that actually drew a particular piece and sure enough, it did. (I only voted twice for myself for test purposes to see if the fan voting could be swayed due to some of the large numbers some entries had, so the other 3 of the whoppin' 5 votes that I have are by others, I assure you. Laughing ) Once I realized that could happen, then the "fan voting" was pretty much an invalid form of voting in my eyes.

Fortunately it looks like the actual WotC panel will do the actual choosing of the winning piece. Good luck to all of those from here that entered. There are some fabulous pieces already on display.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:17 pm  

Yeah, the way they did fan voting is BS, although I voted for all you guys anyway. Glad, I spotted yours just from knowing your style. I was like, "Dang! That looks like... oh yeah!" I also cast a vote for the unknown who did the aspis fight. That dude has a really nice style.
    GreySage

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:55 pm  

My son just submitted his own piece for the contest. It is titled, "Half-orc doppleganger."

I'm sure happy to see so many entries from our very own Canonfire! members. Happy Hope they're all selected for use in the new prints.

SirXaris
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 am  

Yeah I have to admit this fan vote has been ruined by a) a system that allows multiple votes and b) a couple of entrants or voters who seem to have abused the system. It's a real shame to be honest because there are some really great pieces.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that we all do well with the judging panel and all make it into the book!
    GreySage

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 am  

46 total submissions the day after the cut off. Looks like they all have a good chance of being selected for use. Happy

SirXaris
    GreySage

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:51 pm  

Wait! What? Your son is a "half-orc doppleganger?" Shocked Laughing

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 pm  

Wolfling wrote:
    Yeah I have to admit this fan vote has been ruined by a) a system that allows multiple votes and b) a couple of entrants or voters who seem to have abused the system. It's a real shame to be honest because there are some really great pieces.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that we all do well with the judging panel and all make it into the book!

Is ANYONE here surprised????? WOC seems to have a longstanding trend to release things out to market before thought or testing comes to the surface.... just another example....
    Hopefully it will not impact those deserving artists willing to put forth their time and effort. WOC couldnt seem to manage neither. rolleyes
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 am  

Just got an email saying that I've been selected as one of the contest winners. Pretty excited, getting some art published in a Greyhawk publication is like a dream come true!

I'm hoping I'm not the only one of us to be selected though because I didn't see a single entry that didn't deserve to be included. Well maybe apart from the folks that abused the voting system Shocked

I have a query though and I'm hoping someone who is more legally minded than me can help. Both waiver forms I have to sign include this clause;

"Author hereby grants permission irrevocably and in perpetuity to Wizards to, without additional consideration to Author, use, adapt, reproduce, distribute, display and publicly perform Author’s name, visual likeness and biographical data, in whole or in part, throughout the universe, in connection with the promotional the promotional or marketing activities of Wizards."

Should I be worried about this? Or is it pretty standard? I don't like the idea that they can use a picture of me or my name and bio whenever they like... or 'adapt' it!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:07 am  

Congrats, Wolfling!

I was fortunate enough to get an email from WotC, as well, stating that I was one of the A-Series art contest winners.

But, yeah, I'm wary of giving up what feels like my whole being to just be able to have my piece presented in a D&D module, as well. I'm surprised they don't have "ownership of your first born" covered in the waiver forms too.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:47 am  

That's great news Glad!

I've just had to email them as well as one of the forms requires me to sign to say I'm a US citizen which I'm not so I hope that won't be a problem. I'm pretty sure that the competition rules did not exclude non-US citizens anywhere so hopefully it's a clerical error.

I think they've just sent waiver forms out and havent checked or edited them. One of the forms seems to have the wrong competition on!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:08 am  

Yeah I'm in too, though I'm not 100% happy with the piece I submitted. Didn't find out about the contest until almost too late and had to rush. Still, gonna be cool to see my work in print.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:11 am  

I just noticed that too, Wolfling. What the heck is the "Dungeons & Dragons Fan Film Contest?" Doesn't sound anything like "D&D A-Series Art Contest" to me. Crazy.

Hope everything goes alright for you as far as the U.S. Citizenship thing is concerned.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 am  

Thanks Glad and congratulations Mempter!

Mempter - which was your entry?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:46 am  

Congratulations, Mempter!

And, yeah, which entry was yours?
    Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 am  

Yep, I'm in as well guys! It was fun. I can't wait to see the finished product. Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 am  

Big congrats, mortellan!

Yeah, I'm curious to see how WotC presents the art work within the module.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:29 pm  

Mine is "City of the Slavelords".
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:59 am  

Congratulations mortellan!

I remember that piece Glad, it looked cool, I was pleased that someone had done a picture of Suderham too.
    GreySage

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm  

Well, I'm extremely pleased that my son also received an email accepting his submission for inclusion in the A-Series Collection. Congratulations to all of our other talented Canonfire! artists on their success as well. Happy
    Before signing those two forms, however, I sent an email back to WotC asking several questions about them.

As an editor, I found several glaring mistakes (repeated words, etc.) that were just irritating in a legal document. However, I had to point out that one form states that the signer swears he's over 21 years old while the online rules state that the entrants must be over 18. My son is only 18, so that's a big deal. Shocked

I also take umbrage at WotC expecting him to give them the right to 'adapt' his personal information (name, visual image, and biographical information, specifically) in any manner and for whatever purpose they wish simply because they are generous enough to include one of his pieces of art in their publication.

I requested that they send a more detailed explanation of exactly how they plan to 'adapt' such information and that they promise to grant him veto power over any attempt to do so.

Finally, why do they need his full social security number? Really? Am I just paranoid?

Anyway, I'm psyched at this opportunity for my son, but don't want to fail in my protective, fatherly role due to my excitement. Razz

Oh, and sections 4 and 7 and portions of section 6 in the Affidavit of Eligibility, Publicity Release and Liability Waiver are completely bogus and are almost never upheld in court. Companies include those sections in order to try to fool people ignorant of the truth of the matter into believing that they have little to no recourse if they do find themselves cheated in some manner. I laughed when I read through them, but figured it wasn't worth bringing those facts up in my email. rolleyes

SirXaris
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:53 am  

Pass my congratulations along to your son SirXaris. I emailed a few queries to them as well.

I got sent a couple of new forms, one with the right competition name on and the other removing the part about signing to say I'm a US Citizen and over 21 so hopefully you're son will get the same form.

I was also concerned about the clause saying that they could use my likeness, name and bio details so queried that. This was the response I got;

"As for your 3rd question, that means we will publish your name alongside your work in the book. Additionally we may do a write up on the website about the winners. Sometimes we do interviews with contest winners as well. For our purposes, this just additional promotions that might involve you and/or your name"

At the end of the day I either sign the forms or miss out on getting my artwork in the book so I just signed the forms. As I'm not American I didn't include a social security number though!
    GreySage

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:11 pm  

Thanks, Wolfling. :)

My son hasn't gotten a response yet, but I'm hopeful since you received one. I was concerned that they might not even read emails returned to that address.

And, I agree, he'll sign the form, but since I had to save the document in a editable pdf format, I can always change the age on the form that he signs. Wink

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:26 am  

Big congrats to all you winners! (I can't draw anything but flies myself) I did vote, and the person I voted for won, so I feel ever so validated for having a facespace account.
    Isn't it wonderful how amazingly legalistic and lawsuit-ready everything has to be in our society?
    Anyhoo, glad to see Greyhawkers are once again in the forefront of...stuff!
    Paladin

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:43 pm  

bugsy wrote:
    Big congrats to all you winners! (I can't draw anything but flies myself).......Anyhoo, glad to see Greyhawkers are once again in the forefront of...stuff!

Ditto that!!!
    bugsy wrote:

Isn't it wonderful how amazingly legalistic and lawsuit-ready everything has to be in our society?

Easily explained... Lawyers are the new "cult/ priesthood" in the "new age".... Why else would they have their fingers in EVERYTHING..... They are the only ones who profit regardless of outcome. Why else are they compelled to work in grey when the rest of us can understand black and white?
    Don't miss read my pen... The Law as a whole serves a purpose, but most lawyers are seldom compeled by the intent of the law as to instead how they can bend it.... It is akin to the difference between public service and politics.....
    And, as others have said elsewhere... My orifice and I will step down from the soapbox.... Evil Grin
    GreySage

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 pm  

Resurrecting this thread to say Congratulations! to all the winners, including my own son (S. Michael T.) who's PC is better known as Blump elsewhere on this forum. Happy

The winner's list is down the page a bit:
    https://www.wizards.com/dnd/promotions.aspx

SirXaris

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 pm  

Congratulations to Blump!

And to all the other winners as well, such as my friends; Mortellan and Glad27! Way to go guys! Happy Cool

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 am  

Agreed Great representation for the CF "guild" Wink
    and thanks SX for resurecting the thread, I didn't want it to enter oblivion with my "lawyering" tirade being the last echo Shocked to a thread that should be remembered for the artistic talents and efforts of those in participation. Cool
    GreySage

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I didn't want it to enter oblivion with my "lawyering" tirade being the last echo . . .

Ahh! But that's the risk you run every time you "go off" on one of you "lawyering" tirades! Evil Grin

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:47 pm  

It really is great to see a healthy number of CF members on that list!

Now also seems the perfect opportunity to plug our two zines, The Oerth Journal and The Canonfire! Crier.

If any of our talented artists would like to get involved with contributing their artwork that would be great.

Check out the posts in the relevant zine forums!
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:00 am  

With the release of Against the Slave Lords I emailed the WotC promo team to see if the competition winners of the A-Series Art Contest could get a discount on the book or even a single image of their work in the context of the page it appeared in.

I guess I knew what the answer would be but also hoped that just maybe the contest wouldn't end up feeling like a bit of a swizz where WotC got free art for a product.

Here was the response;

"Unfortunately we don't have a discount for purchasing the book nor do I have a jpeg. I'm really sorry to not be of more help."

I suppose I had better dig deep into my wallet!
    Paladin

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:12 am  

Wolfling wrote:
    With the release of Against the Slave Lords I emailed the WotC promo team to see if the competition winners of the A-Series Art Contest could get a discount on the book or even a single image of their work in the context of the page it appeared in.

I guess I knew what the answer would be but also hoped that just maybe the contest wouldn't end up feeling like a bit of a swizz where WotC got free art for a product.

Here was the response;

"Unfortunately we don't have a discount for purchasing the book nor do I have a jpeg. I'm really sorry to not be of more help."

I suppose I had better dig deep into my wallet!

Sad to see that.... and just furthers my distain for WOC..... I'll still be a buyin ,,, more so to support those with more talent with a pen than I.... keep up the good work CF members.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:59 pm  

Got my copy. Great job everyone.

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2013/07/darkshelf-quarry-and-more-greyhawk-maps.html
    GreySage

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:36 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Got my copy. Great job everyone.

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2013/07/darkshelf-quarry-and-more-greyhawk-maps.html

Thanks for the shout-out for my son, SMT! Happy

SirXaris

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 am  

Just got my copy too - it is a nice looking book for sure and although I thought the fan artwork was going to be interspersed in the adventure itself it's actually cool to see the original artwork still there that inspired everyone and it's still lovely to see all our own artwork at the back.

Thanks for the shout-out as well Mort!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:13 pm  

GREAT JOB MORT!!!! CONGRATZ!!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: