Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - Broken search function?
Broken search function?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Help and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vestcoat
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Broken search function? Reply with quote

The search function isn't working like it used to - it's turning up almost no results. I type in "Nyrond" and I get three results from the last week. Most queries, even keywords I know that I've posted, get zero results. What happened?
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Search function keywords needed to be removed, as it was impacting various site functions. It should slowly come back. If a word doesn't work the first time, try it again. Nyrond now comes up; probably because you put it in. Wink
vestcoat
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, "Nyrond" generates results, but nothing older than last week, which is useless. "Iuz" brings two pitiful hits. Most words generate nothing: lendor, xaene, knurl, vecna, etc. Multiple attempts don't change anything.
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you are right. That is not so good. I'll ask Gary about it.
vestcoat
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I hope something can be done. This forum's search function has been in invaluable resource over the years.
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding, but try searching Nyrond again. I just did, and I stopped looking after dozens of hits going back years, so the Search function is (thankfully) rebuilding.
vestcoat
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not getting any search results earlier than Feb 10th, 2013.
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got 133 matches for "Nyrond", going all the way back to 2001. Obviously that term has been resurrected. Try it again.
vestcoat
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I'm at a loss. I've doublechecked my spelling and the option boxes, I've tried different browsers, I've searched while signed in and out, and I'm still getting the same limited results and nonexistent queries.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help and continued responses.
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried searching for Nyrond and received 134 matches from 2013 to as far back as 2001.

Perpahs you are limiting your search to a small section of the website. Check the boxes at the top of the search page to be sure that 'everything' is selected.

Also, I note that the search function won't search the Forums. That option is not available. Am I missing it somewhere?

SirXaris
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the difference is that vestcoat is searching the Forums, not searching the site, in which case he is right. Certainly the term "Nyrond" comes up in forums posts much more than five or six times. I'll ask Gary about that.
Wolfling
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has their been any luck finding out what's going on with the Forum Search engine? I've been experiencing problems with no search results being found too.
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the issue was that the search function keyword bank was so full that it was impeding being able to post at all, so the bank needed to be purged a bit, which has led to the current situation. Searching more may slowly rebuild the word bank. I am not sure on the specifics of things though, so some of what I just said may be slightly off. This is definitely affecting the Forum search more than the Site search though.
Wolfling
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cebrion, I'll just keep trying every now and then. The forums have so much great information available they're a great research tool.
vestcoat
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, but this is really frustrating. I use the forum search on a regular basis for posts, research, and campaign reference. I can't count how many times I've logged in to Canonfire to dig up an old thread, remember some post I researched, or refresh my memory on a Rasgon essay. I'm active on forums much busier than Canonfire and they've never had any search problems. Also, the the forum search is definitely not regenerating. Nothing prior to 2/10/13 has been revealed for weeks. Do you guys need donations for better phpBB service or something?
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a donation format has not been discussed much yet, doing an upgrade has been being discussed for a while now. Nothing has been decided as of yet though.
rasgon
GreySage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having trouble with this too, and yeah - it's frustrating having to search for old posts manually.
Wolfling
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update - I'm still having no luck with the forum search function - has anyone else had any luck?
vestcoat
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It's totally broken.
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not specifically broken. The keywords had to be wiped in order to restore basic posting. Basically, PHP-Nuke has limitations, we found out what they are, and we have to work within them (for now). The FORUM search function will rebuild, but it will take time and use to do so. It took, what, nine years to break it? I doubt it will break again before Gary upgrades things. In the mean time, I'll see if it is possible if some keywords can be added back in.

Just to be clear, it is the FORUM search function that is impacted. The SITE search function has not been impacted at all.

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
vestcoat
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cebrion wrote:
The FORUM search function will rebuild, but it will take time and use to do so.

This is what you said when you thought I was talking about the site search. So both the site and the forum searches were purged? Or which is it?

As far as I can tell, the site search never experienced a hiccup, while the forum search has been totally screwed for two months and hasn't regenerated one iota. The only new results that have appeared are from recent discussions. Absolutely nothing prior to Feb 2013 is appearing. This problem won't fix itself.
grodog
CF Admin
CF Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I noticed this problem when trying to search for the old maps thread that Issak had put together: searching for "maps" didn't return any search results in the forums from prior to 2013.

My hunch is that the forums search index needs to be rebuilt or restored, if rebuilding isn't possible. If that file's too big, selectively pruning it based on keyword search usage would be better than nuking the whole thing. I'll try to come to GT this week or next to talk with Gary about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vestcoat
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHHHH!!! I can't even look at my old posts! Going to my profile and clicking on "see all posts by vestcoat" takes me to what should be the first of seven pages, but my posts stop at 2/20/13 and the links to the other six pages of my posts fail. I'm trying to reference a discussion I participated in some time ago. This totally sucks. Trying to view the post history of other members also fails.
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vestcoat wrote:
Cebrion wrote:
The FORUM search function will rebuild, but it will take time and use to do so.

This is what you said when you thought I was talking about the site search. So both the site and the forum searches were purged? Or which is it?

It is just the forum Search function. Initially I thought the site Search function had been impacted, but it hasn't.

vestcoat wrote:
AHHHH!!! I can't even look at my old posts! Going to my profile and clicking on "see all posts by vestcoat" takes me to what should be the first of seven pages, but my posts stop at 2/20/13 and the links to the other six pages of my posts fail. I'm trying to reference a discussion I participated in some time ago. This totally sucks. Trying to view the post history of other members also fails.

All of your post page links work for me, going all the way back to your first post HERE. Not sure what to tell you, other than to keep trying.
PSmedger
Overlord of Canonfire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: ***UPDATE*** Search Restored? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I may have restored the full index for searching the forums again, but I'll need you to test it to be sure its right.

I manipulated the table and storage variables to make them more robust (we have over 2.1 million search entries and growing), so let's give this a try. Look for extreme slowness on the site in general as a symptom it has failed.

-Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Help and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire phpBB2 theme by Jakob Persson (http://www.eddingschronicles.com).