ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Map of the Pomarj
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Map of the Pomarj
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:40 pm  
    Map of the Pomarj

Hello all,

I am going to be starting up a humanoid/goblinoid campaign based in the Pomarj peninsula in a few weeks...I am having difficulty locating a legible, decent looking map for this area. Anyone with any suggestions or possibly a link to a suitable one would be most appreciated!

P.S. Also anyone with any known source materials or modules with useful information regarding this region would also be great! I am aware of Slavers! but other than that I haven't located much.

Thanks.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:02 pm  

If you ask me you can get no better map than Anna Meyer's maps. Unfortunately, she hasn't done a realm map of the Pomarj yet, so it's split in two pieces, but with Photoshop or similar programs you can work with it to get two pieces. the best part is she released them as layered PDFs so you can shut off borders and other features, depending on when your campaign is set.

Slavers has about the most info on the Pomarj. There's also See the Pomarj and Die in DRG # 167. There might be some good info in the Slave series individual modules.

Here's the download page for Anna's maps. You want 72 & 73. http://ghmaps.net/?page_id=129&paged=5
    GreySage

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 pm  

Smillan is 'dead on' with the Slavers module. If you have access to the supermodule or the individual A series, that could be of interest, too. I have also found various bits of information cobbled together from "From the Ashes" boxed set and "The Adventure Begins" to be helpful.

My player spent some great amount of time warring in that region (both his paladin of Heironeous and battlemage), and I, as a player, have as well, too. Along with the Wild Coast, it is an area ripe with adventure!

What specifically do you wish to know about the Pomarj?

-Lanthorn
    Paladin

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:55 pm  

I Second Lanthorn's assesment of Smillan on the Slavers Module and Anna's maps. There is no better place to start the Pomarj than there.
    I would also add Braggi's The Greyhawk Adventurer’s Atlas Part 5 - The Lands of the Wooly Bay located Here
    It provides several good starting off points in that area, and is a good reference for canon / semi-canon module settings.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:39 pm  

You picked a good time for a Pomarj campaign - A1-4 is about to be reprinted with an extra "A0" module as Against the Slavelords.

Artifact of Evil has some Pomarj action in the first few chapters.

The Wizards Three in Dr185 briefly mentions a former Pomarj wizard named Tsunroon the Traveler who blew his tower in the Drachensgrabs to bits. Maybe he left something in the ruins?

Be sure to make some decisions about what all does and does not sleep beneath the Drachensgrabs. Different authors have expanded on the old Folio reference in a number of ways:
    *The Twisted Forest (GH Adventures)
    *Temples of Tharizdun (Carl Sargent, Dr191)
    *Krovis (Joe Bloch, Dr167)
    *The Oerth Dragon (Scourge of the Slavelords)
    *The Tarrasque (online fan works)
    All inspired by Gygax's nod to RJK's unpublished Lair of the Pit Fiend adventure.
    GreySage

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:26 pm  

In addition to all the excellent suggestions above, I'll list the following resources for your perusal:

1) Eric Anondson's maps of the Flanaess are pretty awesome, too. And, he has a complete map of the pomarj that you can find here: http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=Pomarj#/art/The-Pomarj-Empire-Letter-sized-270921538?_sid=75767f6c.

2) Sanctigaard is the stronghold of Sir Xaris on the border of the Pomarj and the Principality of Ulek: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1013.

3) Volkag's background and stats (12th level male orc Cleric of Nerull) may be found in Dungeon Magazine #106 on page 80, Critical Threats. He seems a wonderful recurring foil for a group of PCs adventuring in or near the Pomarj.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:47 pm  

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! I will try and look into the ones I have or can locate...

I am having my players play as the humanoid/goblinoid characters under the rule of Turrosh Mak himself. I thought it would be something different and allow for some interesting roleplaying and viewpoints compared to the usual. I have an idea of where this campaign will go eventually but I hesitate to post it here as I know at least one of the players in the campaign is a frequent Canonfire! member. That being said, any useful advice on running a campaign of this nature with non-human or demihuman pc's would be appreciated.

vestcoat noted something about a Wizards Three in Dr185 that greatly intrigues me and is something that I definitely would like to look into further...I have been looking for something similar to this in the lore.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:28 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 pm  

I too am fond of that map BlueWitch, however, I wish it was slightly larger...
    GreySage

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 pm  

moloko wrote:
    I am having my players play as the humanoid/goblinoid characters under the rule of Turrosh Mak himself. I thought it would be something different and allow for some interesting roleplaying and viewpoints compared to the usual. I have an idea of where this campaign will go eventually but I hesitate to post it here as I know at least one of the players in the campaign is a frequent Canonfire! member. That being said, any useful advice on running a campaign of this nature with non-human or demihuman pc's would be appreciated.

Sounds like a great opportunity for intrigue within Eastfair, Sanctigaard, and the surrounding lands. Wink

I think it would be lots of fun to run or game in a campaign as humanoids waging covert, or overt, war against the goodly lands. Not sure how much murder, pillaging, and rape you want to include in such a campaign, but it can be lots of fun.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:35 am  

Another few good sourceguides for you would include The Complete Book of Humanoids and Monster Mythology. The former has good information about specific races, their attribute ranges, benefits and flaws, culture, new proficiencies, kits, etc. The latter is indispensable for the information of the humanoid pantheons, especially running clerics, priests, and shamans (complete listings for weapons, armor, and spells for the various Powers).

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:44 pm  

A good place to start for Greyhawk information is the Great Library of Greyhawk wiki. Though not every subject is covered, 1500 are, including the Pomarj: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pomarj

While information may be sparse on some pages, we've tried to include a meaty bibliography with each article so the user can explore further.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:42 pm  

Thanks again for the recommendations. We just finished up a 2nd Edition Greyhawk campaign in the Great Kingdom and the DM was itching to be on the opposite side of the table so I volunteered to run this campaign as its something that I have had brewing in the back of my mind for sometime. The players also wanted to try a new ruleset so I think I've decided to give Pathfinder a shot as I have read and heard positive things about it. I am still going to be utilizing nearly all the source material from the old days as obviously there isn't much out there in regards to what I am doing for the current generation of tabletop RPG's. I have played 3rd and 3.5 editions of D&D in the past and from what it sounds like Pathfinder is very similar to those so I hope it isnt too challenging to learn and instruct the players on...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:54 pm  

Also, how difficult do you think it would be to reverse the viewpoint of certain modules to be from the 'bad guys' perspective? Or do you think it would it be easier to start from scratch and make my own?
    GreySage

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:22 pm  

It all depends on your creativity, time, and determination. Nearly anything is possible, given human ingenuity and resourcefulness. It's all up to you, moloko.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:14 pm  

Since you're going to give Pathfinder a go (I heartily support that choice, by the way Wink ), you might consider checking out We Be Goblins. It is a Pathfinder adventure wherein the party plays a group of goblins, though I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt it for use with an eclectic collection of various humanoid PCs.

Note, I have never played or read through this adventure. I only know it by reputation and I have heard positive things about it.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:20 pm  

Yeah I have also heard of that Pathfinder adventure and was considering giving it a read through and seeing if it would be something that would work for my agenda.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:54 pm  

I was going to recommend We Be Goblins. Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:27 am  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:06 am  

The WOTC website had an article online called "Highport: City of Chains" which gave specific information about the largest urban area of the Pomarj.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:54 am  

Some very insightful comments and ideas! I think I have more than enough to keep me busy preparing for this campaign. I just need to decide how I would like to begin now Smile
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: