Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New to CF & Oerth but not AD&D 1st edition.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    New to CF & Oerth but not AD&D 1st edition.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:21 pm  
    New to CF & Oerth but not AD&D 1st edition.

Hi all,
    Been reading the forums here and think they are great so have signed up.
    I've been away from pen and paper RPGs for a loooong time but as I now work in computer games design have decided to return to the fold - digital games are just not as much fun.
    I still have most of my 1st edition AD&D books and have decided to go back to the origins of Gygax adventures and set my campaign in the Greyhawk world.
    Wow - I've got a lot to catch up on, I've just got hold of the original Greyhawk boxed set and all my old gaming buddies are up for the challenge of my first DM session in 20 years.
    I've also picked up some 2nd edition rules, but not sure whether to use them yet.
    Any advice on what to read next warmly received.
    Great site you have here.
    Steve
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:35 pm  
    Re: New to CF & Oerth but not AD&D 1st edition.

Pubzombie wrote:
    Hi all,
    ...Wow - I've got a lot to catch up on, I've just got hold of the original Greyhawk boxed set and all my old gaming buddies are up for the challenge of my first DM session in 20 years.
    I've also picked up some 2nd edition rules, but not sure whether to use them yet...

-Welcome!

Everyone's advice will be different (paging Lanthorn!), but for the setting, the 1983 boxed set will do for a while.

If you have the time and money, I'd say get the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Greyhawk_Gazetteer

and From the Ashes:

http://www.amazon.com/Greyhawk-Adventures-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/1560763418

..to give you an idea of the "history" of the Flaneass from CY 576 to CY 591.

Anyway, since there's so much material (books, articles, modules), my first suggestion is figure out when and where in the Flaneass to start your campaign. Then you can start by just buying additional material related to that place.

Await the deluge of advice! Wink

EDIT: See The "Introduce Yourself" Thread (the "Sticky", above).
    GreySage

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 pm  

Welcom, Pubzombie! We're glad you have decided to join us by posting in Canonfire!

DeepShadow asked a similar question about Greyhawk published material in his thread in this forum, so give it a quick read-through.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:26 pm  
    Re: New to CF & Oerth but not AD&D 1st edition.

jamesdglick wrote:

Everyone's advice will be different (paging Lanthorn!), but for the setting, the 1983 boxed set will do for a while.

Evil Grin YES?!

Welcome to our little club, Pubzombie. I will FULLY endorse any use of 2e materials, with 1e influences. There are still a few of us old diehards out there who prefer the 'fossilized' rules. Happy We are not fully extinct. Wink

Feel free, as James noted, to visit the growing "Introduce Yourself" thread and leave your response therein.

You will find 'my kind' stalking the 1e and 2e forums. JOIN US. Cool

welcome aboard,

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:30 am  

Welcome! Make sure to get the free a Ivid the Undying PDF for a taste of the 2e Sargent-hawk products.

And check out deepshadow's thread for some nice links..

This is a nice thread about Which Modules(accessories) make for the best Canon and here's another thread about Essential 2E Greyhawk products

City of Greyhawk is a great boxed set imho...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:44 pm  

Thanks guys for the welcome and the info.
    I'm reading the 1e boxed set to GH and starting to form some ideas - I work in digital games design now and reckon these p&p RPGs are still far superior to digital games.
    Will post my design soon.
    Paladin

Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:20 pm  

Welcome Pubzombie... the latest vict...er ah.... member of our catacombs... hehehe

Don't be afraid to cast in your two CP into a discussion..... NoOne could ask more questions than Lanthorn the Inquisitor Laughing
    So all are welcome, be mindful which addition you are in when replying in order to avoid the dread Purple Lightning.. and don't lurk in the shadows ... leave that to the dark creatures of the night.....
    GreySage

Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:19 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Don't be afraid to cast in your two CP into a discussion..... NoOne could ask more questions than Lanthorn the Inquisitor Laughing

I'll take that as a compliment, my dear Texan. Cool However, I like to think that Nerdcav, and most recently, both Mcneilk and Wolfling, were picking up the proverbial torches as 'lights in training.' Happy

Pubzombie, I look forward to hearing from you on the posts.

-Lanthorn of the Countless Queries
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:42 am  

Welcome Pubzombie!

Can you share with us what computer games you've worked on? I'm intrigued to know!

I started with 2nd edition but I had played 3rd edition onwards for years. However, recently I went back to my roleplaying roots by DMing a 1st & 2nd ed hybrid campaign.

I've found I've used 1st edition rules generally but drawn from the wisdom of 2nd edition when things have been unclear. I've also not been shy about homebrew rules which I feel both 1st and 2nd eds almost encourage.
    GreySage

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:47 am  

Wolfling wrote:
    I started with 2nd edition but I had played 3rd edition onwards for years. However, recently I went back to my roleplaying roots by DMing a 1st & 2nd ed hybrid campaign.

Good, Wolfie, good boy! Happy

Quote:
    I've found I've used 1st edition rules generally but drawn from the wisdom of 2nd edition when things have been unclear. I've also not been shy about homebrew rules which I feel both 1st and 2nd eds almost encourage.

I primarily use 2e rules, but find myself falling back on the 1e DMG for experience calculations (I hate the 2e system for it) along with various other things. I guess I classify myself as a 1.5 kinda guy (leaning more towards 2e, though, especially with regards to character classes and spell descriptions).

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:06 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Wolfling wrote:

Good, Wolfie, good boy! Happy

Quote:

I primarily use 2e rules, but find myself falling back on the 1e DMG for experience calculations (I hate the 2e system for it) along with various other things. I guess I classify myself as a 1.5 kinda guy (leaning more towards 2e, though, especially with regards to character classes and spell descriptions).

-Lanthorn

I would deem you a .5 guy for 1st and 2nd edition. you like to intermingle 2 e rules with 1 e rules and technically that would be the Greyhawk hardcover book by James Ward. Then you refer to the rules and options of 2nd edition, as you like those sets of rules. Which in all honesty was the future brain child of 3rd edition which was converted to a 3.5 edition. You and I know little to nothing about 4th edition. Though I surmise you will at least read over D&D next. Which would make you the quintessential .5 guy! Wink

Pubzombie great nick and Welcome to Greyhawk!

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: