Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - House Rules
House Rules
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cawdmorris
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: House Rules Reply with quote

Howdy!

Haven't been here for a while as real life got crazy, but getting ready to starting up a "new" 1e game with my buds.

Anyway, we have our menu of some house rules that we play with, but just wondering about what house rules others play with.

Post away!

Chris
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

OMG Shocked if I listed all the "House Rules" I employ in my campaign, it would be a mighty lengthy document!!! I'm sure some of the 'regulars' on this site would agree, given what they've read about my games, perspectives, infinite queries, etc., already. Embarassed

I DO have a document typed some many years ago that my main player/DM and I jointly fashioned, more to keep consistency and remind us what we agreed upon, more than planning on adding more people to our gaming circle (I play 2e mainly, and most folks these days are 3e, 4e, or Pathfinder, anyhow).

Your topic DOES interest me, and I have LONG intended to scribe such a thread myself, but glad you beat me to the proverbial punch, so to speak, as I am curious what others do, as well.

-Lanthorn, "Old School" Gamer

p.s. for the record, this thread may be better served by placing it in the General Forums column, UNLESS you only want 1e input. Ask Cebrion his thoughts on that...or perhaps he can create multiple threads, one for each different edition?
cawdmorris
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I will check with him to check on the multi-thread.

I totally know what you mean on "solo" many, and I will toss some of the ones we use in here, mostly 1e.

And anything is great, listing the top one or two anyone uses or whatever.

Chris
cawdmorris
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way, I am up to at least 3 pages typed of some house rules already Happy

Will share the list soon.

Chris
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to reading what you have, but if it's that long, be sure to bullet, or enumerate, it for easier reading! Shocked I am interested to see what overlap may ensue between readers.

-Lanthorn
cawdmorris
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely!
DeanP
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to employ saving throws versues Energy Drain. The idea of a character losing two levels to a vampire's touch; man that's way too rough without a saving throw.
BlueWitch
Adept Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeanP wrote:
I've decided to employ saving throws versues Energy Drain. The idea of a character losing two levels to a vampire's touch; man that's way too rough without a saving throw.

I did that too, after reading some magic item description that gave a bonus to a save vs energy drain. It stood to reason that if some magic item(s) gave a BONUS, there had to be a saving throw to give the bonus to.
However, to not depower the undead too much, I changed it so the level is drained, and on the day after fighting the undead, the saving throw is made to gain the level back. This is repeated each day as needed, until either a saving throw is failed, at which point no more levels can be regained, or when the character is back to "original" level.
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeanP wrote:

Ditto. Though if failed, you are screwed and you must regain them through experience.

This is but one of many changes I've made...

-Lanthorn
DeanP
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, to not depower the undead too much, I changed it so the level is drained, and on the day after fighting the undead, the saving throw is made to gain the level back. This is repeated each day as needed, until either a saving throw is failed, at which point no more levels can be regained, or when the character is back to "original" level.

I like that modification.
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also turned all my spell-casters (priests and mages alike) basically into Channelers by creating a Mana Pool system from which they draw their magical (arcane or divine) magic use.

I explain this system in more detail (and my rationale) in the following thread, on page 2:
http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5559

-Lanthorn
cawdmorris
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool change on the save -vs- Energy Drain, can I ask what category you lump that with in 1e? I am going to add that one change in.

Lanthorn, gonna check that out right now, but that change for spell casters is exactly one of the things I am working on in regards to some house rules, look forward to reading it. Than maybe I can get to finalizing up my list of 1e house rules. Confused
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cawdmorris wrote:
Cool change on the save -vs- Energy Drain, can I ask what category you lump that with in 1e? I am going to add that one change in.

vs Death Magic, in my game, given its deadly effect.

Quote:
Lanthorn, gonna check that out right now, but that change for spell casters is exactly one of the things I am working on in regards to some house rules, look forward to reading it. Than maybe I can get to finalizing up my list of 1e house rules. Confused

Happy reading. Hope it works for you.

-Lanthorn
cawdmorris
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanthorn wrote:
I've also turned all my spell-casters (priests and mages alike) basically into Channelers by creating a Mana Pool system from which they draw their magical (arcane or divine) magic use.

I explain this system in more detail (and my rationale) in the following thread, on page 2:
http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5559

-Lanthorn

Love it! Gonna give it a try.
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy

Glad you approve. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

much obliged,

Lanthorn
DeanP
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Lanthorn, save vs. Death Magic.

I have to check out your Mana system.
thedanered
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a great article on Dragonsfoot.org that is a 54 page PDF file entitled "House Rules & Clarifications for First Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons". It was written by Ken Marin and is a free PDF you can download.

There are some great rules and insights in this article. Check it out, then pick and choose what works for your game. If you have trouble finding it, PM me and I'll send it to your e-mail.

Dane
cawdmorris
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nice, gonna check it out now, ty so much.
thedanered
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its been updated since I last downloaded it. Its up to a 63 page document now.

Dane
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add onto this thread,

I allow any race to multi or dual-class, permitted of course they can choose that class of interest (dwarves cannot be mage-priests, for instance).

I don't divide the XP right down the middle between classes (or thirds, if triple classed) but rather allocate XP based on which class (or classes) was/were used to 'defeat' the enemy. For instance, casting priest or mage spells give XP only to those respective classes. Thiefly skill use garners XP only to the thief class. And so on and so forth.

-Lanthorn
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you asked for it. More Lanthorn 'House Rules"

- I no longer roll for damage! (gasp!) Instead, I let the die roll determine the damage. How, you may ask. The hit roll or saving throw determines it. Basically, in short, if you need a 12 to hit your foe, and you roll it, you do minimum damage. If you roll a 19, on the other hand, you do maximum damage. I still use crit hits.
To find how much damage is done within the continuum, use algebra (a ratio) between the maximum damage and minimum damage.
This is indeed a slower method and likely won't work for large groups, but I wanted to 'reward' higher die rolls 'to hit'. By the same token, a '19' save grants the recipient minimum damage from damaging spells while a '1' imposes maximum damage (and a crit hit).

Yeah, I am a meticulous number-cruncher. Wink

-Lanthorn
cawdmorris
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanthorn wrote:
OK, you asked for it. More Lanthorn 'House Rules"

- I no longer roll for damage! (gasp!) Instead, I let the die roll determine the damage. How, you may ask. The hit roll or saving throw determines it. Basically, in short, if you need a 12 to hit your foe, and you roll it, you do minimum damage. If you roll a 19, on the other hand, you do maximum damage. I still use crit hits.
To find how much damage is done within the continuum, use algebra (a ratio) between the maximum damage and minimum damage.
This is indeed a slower method and likely won't work for large groups, but I wanted to 'reward' higher die rolls 'to hit'. By the same token, a '19' save grants the recipient minimum damage from damaging spells while a '1' imposes maximum damage (and a crit hit).

Yeah, I am a meticulous number-cruncher. Wink

-Lanthorn

Lol, wow, yeah you are sir. But I love it, maybe not to use, but the fact of the thought that goes into getting something right for you.

Still working on my list gonna throw some stuff up soon I hope, as soon as work gives me the time.

Found the two 1e "House Rules" that are on Dragonsfoot, yeah both are huge, but again, cool to see what people come up with.
cawdmorris
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two main things I am working on right now are making a Bard a class of it's own for 1e and tweaking the Monk some at lower levels.

Got the non-weapon proficiencies done, with a lot of help from 2e.

Also had a blast revising the old "Good Hits, Bad Misses" table.
Lanthorn
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cawdmorris wrote:
Two main things I am working on right now are making a Bard a class of it's own for 1e and tweaking the Monk some at lower levels.

What do you have in mind for them?

You do know that the 2e bard is much more streamlined, and for the better in my opinion, than the 1e version.

Quote:
Also had a blast revising the old "Good Hits, Bad Misses" table.

Yeah, I have that Xeroxed for use, but use the crit tables from Combat & Tactics book.

Awaiting more from you when you have time and plan to offer more of my own 'house rules,'

-Lanthorn
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cawdmorris wrote:

#56 (December 1981) of Dragon Magazine had an article called, Singing a New Tune. That streamlined the Bard and was for AD&D. The Best of the Dragon, Vol. III included that article and another called, He's Got a Lot to Kick About, which improved the Monk for AD&D. I grew up using those two re-writes for the Bard and Monk class as they were vast improvements on the originals from the Player's Handbook.

SirXaris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: