Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Postfest ???- The Draft ***NOW OPEN TO EVERYONE!!!***
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Postfest Forum & Archive
    Postfest ???- The Draft ***NOW OPEN TO EVERYONE!!!***
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:12 am  
    Postfest ???- The Draft ***NOW OPEN TO EVERYONE!!!***

So, it is finally DRAFT TIME! WOOT!!!

And the number between 1 and 100 was...

Apparently Sweetness approved (close enough at least)! Laughing

***Please do not post your own choice, or discuss choices here, until those listed before you have all posted their choices.***

The draft order is as follows:

1. Argon (#34) DONE!

2. Baronzemo (#43) DONE!

3. SirXaris (#50) DONE!

4. Dark_Lord_Galen (#13) DONE!

5. Sutemi (#70) DONE!

6. Mempter (#73) DONE!

7. jamesdglick (#100) DONE!

8. Mystic-Scholar DONE!

Once all of these folks have posted their choices, anyone else may then choose from what choices are left - first come, first served - if they wish to participate.

I have created a preliminary map wit the village's general layout. Note that not all of the details are present, such as trees, shrubs, and such ( I will add such details at a later date). Here is the preliminary map (for the best view, download it):

VILLAGE MAP

The Draft Rules

The rules of the draft are simple, and comprises two parts. First, choose one of the more notable village locations (i.e. those in BOLD DARK RED PRINT) from the list below (locations in GREEN have already been chosen):

Quote:
    Main Village Locations

1. Inn: very large building (1,200-1,500 sq. ft.; wattle & beam upper, stone lower construction; slate roof; basement, attic); separate horse stable (200-300 sq. feet; same construction as inn); small garden (cooking herbs/spices mostly); 8-10 villagers + possible guests (if you want to mention any).
    2. Town Watch Station/Jail: large building (600 sq. ft.; stone building, slate roof, stone inner walls dividing 4 cells; living space for watch captain + 2 deputies; small windows; very secure); no garden; 0 villagers (i.e. nobody *permanently* lives here).
    3. Residence
    4. Carpenter/cooper/wainwright: large building (800-1000 sq. ft.; small home + large attached workshop; beam & plank construction, slate roof); small garden; 2-6 villagers.
    5. Merchant/trader: large building (600-900 sq. ft., stone building, slate roof; shop area + storage area for wagon/product; very well secured); small/no garden; 2-6 villagers.
    6. Tanner/furrier: medium building (400-500 sq. ft.; wattle & beam home + work area); small garden; 2-4 villagers.
    7. Residence
    8. Residence
    9. Residence
    10. Weaponsmith/Armorer: large building (600-800 sq. ft.; stone building, slate roof; total area includes home + attached work area); no garden; can also make metal armors of chainmail and less protective value, and repair same; 1-4 villagers.
    11. Residence
    12. Residence
    13. Miller: medium building (400-500 sq. ft.; stone building, slate roof +attached wooden barn); small garden; round dirt area out back is for oxen powered mill; 3-5 villagers.
    13. Residence
    14. Butcher: medium building (300-500 sq. ft.; stone building, thatched roof + smoke house), small garden; 2-4 villagers.
    15. Thatcher: medium building (400-500 sq. ft.; stone lower, wattle & beam upper, thatched roof; total area includes small home + attached storage area for thatching); small garden; 2-4 villagers.
    16. Residence
    17. Tavern/brewery: large building (600-800 sq. ft.; stone lower, wattle & beam upper, slate roof; basement; total area includes tap room and attached brewery areas); 4-7 villagers.
    18. Residence
    19. Residence
    20. Residence
    21. Chapel of Velnius/Valaeri: large building (600-800 sq. ft.; beam & plank + slate roof); garden; 3-6 villagers.
    22. Residence
    23. Residence
    24. Alchemist/Herbalist/Sage/Mid-wife/Wise Woman: medium building (200-300 sq. ft., stone + thatched roof + attached workshop/drying shed of plank construction); large garden (mostly herbs); 1-3 villagers.
    25. Residence
    26. Potter: medium building (400-500 sq. ft.; wattle & beam, slate roof; small home plus attached work space); small garden; 2-5 villagers.
    27. Residence
    28. Chapel of Pelor: large building (600-800 sq. ft.; stone building; inner beam supports/floors, slate roof), small garden, 2-4 villagers.
    29. Residence
    30. Residence
    31. Cobbler/leather worker: medium building (400-500 sq. ft.; wattle & beam, slate roof; area includes home above workshop); small garden; 2-5 villagers.
    32. Residence
    33. Bowyer/Fletcher: medium building (200-400 sq. ft.; stone building, slate roof; home + small workshop); small garden; 1-3 villagers.
    34. Chapel of Beory: large building (600-700 sq. ft.; wooden structure, slate roof; area comprises chapel + living quarters); *extensive* garden, 2-4 villagers.
    35. Weaver/dyer/tailor?: largish building (500-600 sq. ft.; stone building, slate roof; area includes home + attached work area); small or no garden; 3-6 villagers.
    36. Village Elder's Home: largish building (500-600 sq. ft.; two-story; wattle & beam upper, stone lower, slate roof); operates large farm outside village (off-map); small garden; 5-8 villagers.
    37. Residence
    38. Blacksmith: large building (800-1000 sq. ft.; stone building, slate roof; total area includes home + attached work area); 2-5 villagers.
    39. Mason/stoneworker: large building (600-800 sq. ft.; stone building, slate roof; area comprises home + large work area); small garden; 3-6 villagers.
    40. Residence
    A. Shrine of Obad Hai: medium structure (400-500 sq. ft.); off-map, out in the woods; 2-5 villagers.
    B. Shrine of Phyton: medium structure (200-300 sq. ft.); off-map, out in the woods; 2-4 villagers.
    C. Shrine of Berei: small structure (50-100 sq. ft.).
    D. Shrine of the Seldarine: small structure (50-100 sq. ft.).
    E. Shrine of the Gnomish Gods: small structure (25-50 sq. ft.).
    F. Shrine of the Halfling Gods: small structure (25-50 sq. ft.); recently built.

Secondary Locations Chosen

42. Residence
    71. Residence
    79. Residence

The locations of the above places appear on the included map (see the link above), though the outlines of the buildings may be altered a bit by you as you see fit, though not the amount of property they take up. In fact, you should endeavor to make sure that your location's property area has a little bit of space around it, if possible. You are encouraged to draw a very basic map of your entries on graph paper, and submit them along with your articles (instructions for doing so will be posted later), and this may lead to an updated version of the village map being done at a later date. There is a FREE mapping program called Auto-REALM which may make life easier for some of you (and learn ya somethin' too! Happy).

Second, choose one other location to write up that is anywhere on the map and that is also NOT in BOLD DARK RED PRINT, or choose a secondary location that you will denote as not being on the map at all (i.e. it is "out in the woods"). You are allowed to make this one up completely, but with some limitations: no additional businesses, no huge homes in the woods, no other oddball things that would blatantly be out of place. This second choice is meant to offer up some (usually) brief descriptions of the more general village locations, which will predominantly be farmsteads (that includes the occasional bee keeper and similar side professions, but not "the honey master", who has a staff of a dozen workers, and then some! Laughing), but the homes of hunters/trappers would also be suitable (most of the latter would be located just off the village map, or deeper in the forest). Once you have decided on what your secondary location will be, either choose any numbered location on the map that is NOT in bold print, or state that your location is "outside of the village" (meaning it is not on the map), and state about how far away it is from the village and in what direction. This basic information will tell us if any locations outside the village are near to one another, or not.

One final note: Once the draft is complete, it will be a free-for-all on any remaining locations. So, if you want to write about more than just your two locations, then it would be perfectly fine to choose *two* more locations, chosen in the same manner as your first two (i.e. one main location, one secondary location), but this time on a "first come, first served" basis.

***ONE FINAL NOTE***

By entering this particular Postfest, you not only agree to the usual posting regulations, and Canonfire!'s usage thereof, but also give permission to Canonfire! to, perhaps at a later date, compile all of the entries into a single gazetteer-style offering.

And that is it. Let loose the hounds!!! Happy

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:27 am; edited 26 times in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:35 pm  

All questions and comments not pertaining to the completion of the actual draft have been moved to HERE (see page 2). Please post any further questions there, and I will answer them there.

I will be deleting any further questions from this thread, as it takes way too much of my time to cut-n-paste them from here, move them, delete them from here, and type in all of the html codes because none of the above buttons for bold, url, etc. work for me (don't ask, and yes, it drives me nuts at times).

Argon has been sent a PM as well, so hopefully he will be poking his head in there soon to get the ball rolling.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:57 am  

With the first pick Argon stay's with his lucky number 34. I see 37 was a draft number so I can take that one. Though I'm Tempted to take number 54. So do we need maps only of the dark red area or will this post-fest require maps of every area we write up? I like those three so 34 and 37 are the center and 54 is on the map on the outskirts.

If this is fine then Baronzemo would be next in the draft order.

Later

Argon
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:19 pm  

[Channels the Peace and Serenity of Rao] Laughing

Look, folks. It's real easy.

Just post this:

Main Location: #XX

Secondary Location: #XX OR "off the map", plus direction and distance away (it should be within a couple miles of the village proper)

That's it.

Yes, that is TWO locations in total, and yes, you will need to provide a map for each of them. That includes where any interior walls are, and where all doors and windows are located. However, your map does NOT need to include where the furnishings are or anything (but you may do so if you wish). Your maps may be simple line drawings, or can be made with one of any number of mapping programs.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:28 pm  

Main Location 34

Secondary Location 37

Ok, Big C Baronzemo is on the clock.

Later

Argon
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:19 pm  

Main location - 6
    Secondary Location - 7
    GreySage

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:40 pm  

Main location: 39 Mason/stoneworker

Secondary location: 3 Residence

SirXaris

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:42 am  

Main location: 33. Bowyer/Fletcher
    Secondary location: Shrine of Fharlanghn Out of town along road side (hence is why I was curious as to where each road goes)
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:33 pm  

I thought I had made it clear enough what the Secondary Locations are meant to accomplish:

Quote:
    This second choice is meant to offer up some (usually) brief descriptions of the more general village locations, which will predominantly be farmsteads (that includes the occasional bee keeper and similar side professions, but not "the honey master", who has a staff of a dozen workers, and then some! Laughing), but the homes of hunters/trappers would also be suitable (most of the latter would be located just off the village map, or deeper in the forest).

I guess I need to be even more specific, because if something is not listed as being forbidden, somebody will obviously assume that it if fine to choose such a location.

Quote:
    Second, choose one other location to write up that is anywhere on the map and that is also NOT in BOLD DARK RED PRINT, or choose a secondary location that you will denote as not being on the map at all (i.e. it is "out in the woods"). You are allowed to make this one up completely, but with some limitations: no additional businesses, no huge homes in the woods, no other oddball things that would blatantly be out of place. Also, *NO* additional main locations!!! That would include locations like temples, shrines, even more shrines, Shriners Conventions, chapels, cathedrals, hamlets, giant portals to HELL or other places, guild houses, griffon hatcheries, castles, ski lodges, gladiator arenas, crashed space ships, owlbear breeding farms, keeps, pegasus flight schools, magic emporiums, firearm factories, lakes or other oddball geographical features, forts, treant kick-boxing dojos, and (because I better include a catch-all phrase anyways) any other sort of site that would obviously be a *MAIN LOCATION*, which the *SECONDARY LOCATIONS* are very obviously *NOT* meant to represent. That ought to do it.

Bold, enlarged, bright red text added for more clarity. Hopefully everything is crystal clear now. Wink

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
    Paladin

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:53 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Hopefully everything is crystal clear now.

Humm... well maybe "shrine" was a poor choice of wording on my part. Was thinking more of a reliquary..... which I don't see as a "main locale", but so be it.....
    Main location: 33. Bowyer/Fletcher
    Secondary location: 13

My apology for the delay Sutemi.....
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:52 pm  

Haha, I was just joking DLG, no harm done Happy

Primary location: E
    Secondary location: 79
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:04 pm  

Main location: #28 Pelor chapel
    Secondary location: #8 Residence
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:21 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Humm... well maybe "shrine" was a poor choice of wording on my part. Was thinking more of a reliquary..... which I don't see as a "main locale", but so be it

See HERE for additional explanation on the shrines.

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:56 pm  

jamesdglick has chosen:

Main Location: B

Secondary Location: 42

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:20 pm  

Well, I want Mempter to feel "wanted," so I'll take:

Main Entry: #21
    Secondary: #22

Laughing

Wait a minute! I have to do maps!? Shocked

Damn"slave driver!" Evil Grin Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:45 am  

The initial Draft is done with, and so the Draft is now open to anyone who wishes to participate. Read this thread THOROUGHLY for instructions/clarification as to what you need to do, and post your choices here.

Thanks.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:57 pm  

Cebrion, might want to reproof the list to current selections (green)before more selections are made....
    Mempter picked #28 &#8
    James picked #42 but no 42 0n list
    #E is selected but not sure if you picked it Wink
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:30 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Cebrion, might want to reproof the list to current selections (green)before more selections are made....
    Mempter picked #28 &#8
    James picked #42 but no 42 0n list
    #E is selected but not sure if you picked it Wink

Sutemi picked E, James #42. Mempter's choice colors are updated (good catch on that). #42 is not on the list because it is a Secondary Location, but has a number because it is on the Village Map. Secondary Locations not on the Village Map have no assigned number or letter, the only exceptions being "A. Shrine of Obad Hai" and "B. Shrine of Phyton". See the instructions for how to handle off-map locations.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:37 pm  

Harro;

Primary: 1
    At this point, I've got the outline of the primary structure done and if we go by each square being 5 ft, I'm about 60 over, not including the attic or basement... is that ok? :D

Secondary: 71

Let's do this!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:15 am  

Yay! Another victi...er..volunteer! Happy

The locations are yours, but the extra space is not. You must stay within the parameters given for the area, which does include the stables and a small garden. The inn can have a second story, an attic, and a partial basement. that is tone of space.

Just in case this might be an issue area-wise, rooms shouldn't be very large at all- 5' x 10' is rather normal. These are not so much living spaces as sleeping spaces. A 10' x 10-15' room would be rather large; maybe the inn owner would have a room this size, plus maybe have one for rent. Other family might sleep one or two to a 5'x10' room. The village isn't a place that sees many travelers all of the time, but it does have visitors from other communities and some merchants do pass through (from both outside and inside the Gamboge).

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:53 pm  

So that 1500max square feet, that is for the main building and the outbuildings, but does that include the basement and upper floor/attic?

Also, is it ok if my building is 1500sqft, but I have a path made going around it?

Here's a preview of my inn: http://imgur.com/jcAd5A7 (all built from scratch except for the beds, the tables with the wavy lines and the stairs, haha.)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:39 pm  

Well, I've got two maps made, and once I get the word on whether those are approved or not, I'll be able to finalize them, haha.

As far as the accompanying write-ups are concerned, what all information is to be included? I would think the names of the people who live/work/are present in the location, possibly little tidbits about their past and demeanor... a description doesn't really seem needed, at least with how detailed my map is, but heck, I guess it can't include wall colors, the state of the rooms, air quality, and some other little details like that. Am I missing anything major here?

Thanks!
    Llurendt/LtGreeneyes
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:18 pm  

What is the scale on those maps? "One hex = 5 feet"? If yes, you are way, way over on size, and with 22 rooms the place isn't a country inn, but a massive inn that would be out of place in all but the largest of cities. You should probably cut down the number of rooms down to a third of what you have, or close to it. As to the 1,200 to 1,500 square feet of allowable space, which is just for the inn itself, that amounts to a building that is roughly 30 feet by 40-50 feet in dimension. And it is a two-story structure, with a basement and small attic space. That is a large building. There will be enough floor space for a bar, kitchen, storeroom, and eight or so smaller ground floor guest rooms. The second story could have rooms for the innkeeper and their family, some smaller rooms for staff members, and a couple larger rooms for wealthier guests. That is really about all there should be in such an out-of-the-way place. Having enough guests to fill even 10 rooms all at once would be exceedingly rare, and if there were more guest than that, well, that is when the staff temporarily get kicked out of their own rooms and have to sleep in the attic, basement, or the loft in the stables until the guests leave. Even the innkeeper and their family might give up their rooms if a large enough (and wealthy enough) group of guests were to show up and need all of the rooms.

Not being along any main route of travel, the inn does not get lots of travelers, so the inn, while having rooms available, will hugely favor its food and drink business, because that is what their livelihood will be. While there is also a tavern in the village, the inn is really the only place that would serve decent meals. And the tavern is a bit more rough, the inn not so much. I wouldn't exactly call it a family place, but families might eat there on occasion (families will be rather self-sufficient though, as usual), and some locals that don't really cook much (or all that well) would certainly be drawn to a decent meal. Seasonal signature meals on certain days of the week would be a good idea.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:13 pm  

put me down for
    24. Herbalist-sage
    25. Residence

as discussed on Graytalk
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:34 pm  

Done and done.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:46 am  

Big C>Sorry for the abrupt disconnect last evening... thunderstorms in the area.... You were saying you hoped something on the herbalist.. and then I lost power and near as I can tell there is no means to "recall" what transpired via Greytalk.

My appologies to all last evening at my unannounced departure.
    GreySage

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:28 pm  

Sure DLG, we believe you. No, no, no, really, we do! Evil Grin

Okay, Cebrion, I'm taking #2 (Guard House/Jail) and #25 (Residence) as my secondary projects. Put them in "Green", please.

Thank you very much! Cool

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:10 am  

with the loss of power I did learn something... one can have a battery on the laptop, and a UPS on the server, BUT if the modem is not on the UPS, for some reason one loses connection with the world..... its a conspiracy. I am investigating who is responsible.... Evil Grin
    I WILL NOT BE SILENCED.... MWAHHAAHHAHAHHHHH Evil Grin
    GreySage

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:54 pm  

Thou hast forgotten . . . I don't speak Greek, err, Geek! I don't speak computer Geek. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:49 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

Okay, Cebrion, I'm taking #2 (Guard House/Jail) and #25 (Residence) as my secondary projects. Put them in "Green", please.

#2 (Guard House/Jail) is yours, but #25 (Residence) is already taken. Choose another Secondary Location.

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Big C>Sorry for the abrupt disconnect last evening... thunderstorms in the area.... You were saying you hoped something on the herbalist.. and then I lost power and near as I can tell there is no means to "recall" what transpired via Greytalk.

My apologies to all last evening at my unannounced departure.

As there are many nature-oriented priests in the area who will no doubt have herbalism skills, try sticking to the more "arcane" principles of herbalism/alchemy. For some reason I left out "Alchemist" from the entry, but it should be there (with more emphasis even). The individual could even be a sage (i.e. the only real local sage; overall a sort of "wise" man...er..."intelligent" man, but NOT a priest; a guy who knows stuff the priests don't, perhaps).

No doubt some people will step on other people's toes in a group project like this, but one should keep in mind that, while an ability like herbalism or alchemy can be mentioned (stat-wise or not), it is easy to give the impression that the herbalist pursues endeavors not already amply covered by any number of other people simply by only mentioning those things that one would think would be the most specific to their character. Call him an Alchemist if you wish. Basically, ask yourself the question, "With there most likely being other herbalists in the community, exactly why do people come to this person at all?" It shouldn't be for healing potions, or draughts that make plants/animals grow well or to not be sick. Stay away from areas like that and you pretty much can't go wrong. Create your own niche for the character (s).

Finally, as a reminder, Secondary Locations are NOT there to made extensions of any Main Locations. Just figured I should mention that, seeing as you chose locations right next to each other. Wink

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:34 pm  

Cebrion wrote:

Finally, as a reminder, Secondary Locations are NOT there to made extensions of any Main Locations. Just figured I should mention that, seeing as you chose locations right next to each other. Wink

Wow talk about getting singled out..... Shocked Shocked
    LOL seriously....
    I figured it was an opportunity for a "Mrs Cravets" or for you CF hairlings out there... Arabella Figg
    Razz
    Every town needs a busybody neighbor, and what better place to see strange goings on than near the Herbalist Apothecary.... Cool
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 am  

What I mean is that a Secondary Location is not meant to be additional property of the Herbalist/Alchemist. What you just described is a Main Location (notable business/NPC) and a Secondary Location (basic village home/NPC with some meat to their background) in exactly the proper format so far as what each type of location is meant to be.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:38 am  

So my "Residence" choice could be the home of the Guard Captain?

As an example.

Is Residence #40 still available? It's "black."

Oh! In my description of the Guard House, how many "permanent" Guards does the Village have? Or are allowed?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 pm  

Yes, but it otherwise can't have anything to do with the Guard House, and #40 is yours.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:22 pm  

Excellent!

And the number of "professional" Guardsmen? I'm thinking two, villagers can be used to form a posse, if needed.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:03 am  

Check your PMs.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 am  

Got it! Cool

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 pm  

Somewhere, Ceb finally came up with a name for this village, but I can't find it. Confused Exclamation

What is it again?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 pm  

The name of the village is Wildrun, and it is named for the portion of the Gamboge forest that it is in, and which goes by the same name. So, referring to the village itself, somebody might say, "I visited Wildrun last week.", while somebody speaking of the area might say, "I visited the Wildrun last week."

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:02 pm  

Whatever happened to Wildrun?

FWIW; critiques from the peanut gallery?

#42: Farmhouse/Pigsty

For the players: You approach a hut, raised on stilts [closer look: poorly maintained], surrounded by a fence. There is a smaller, wood building outside the fence [smokehouse]. The hut is apparently covered with (pig) hides [for protection against fire]. [During the day] a rope ladder is seen leading up to a trapdoor up the center of the hut [the ladder is drawn up and the door barred at night]. Over a dozen swine are seen within the pen [under the hut or outside, as the weather goes].

[During the day, the swineherd [15%] or his stepmother [15%] might be seen tending or training the swine . They might [5% for each] be working in the smokehouse, or in the hut [5% for the swineherd, 75% for his stepmother.]

[During the day, the swineherd e grove alone [55%] or with a random parishioner [3%], and at night, might be out tending or “meditating” [5%].]

1. Swineherd’s House.

15’ x 15’ wooden structure with a wooden roof on 8 legs (11’ high, 4 per corner, and 4 around the trapdoor), with a rope ladder coming, over a fenced in pigsty.

a. Kitchen/Parlor

Long Table and 8 armchairs. Well-stocked fireplace/ oven, including utensils from ceiling.

b. Bedroom (Swineherd)

Doublebed and wardrobe. Chamber bucket.

c. Bedroom (Step-mother)

Doublebed and wardrobe. Chamber bucket.
    d. Storage/Pantry
    Stored goods, spare furniture (including cots and a singlebed broken into its component parts), miscellaneous stored items, barrels filled with water.
    e. Pen (around hut)
    2 boars; 15 sows; 6-15 piglets. One of the sows has (among other pig traits) Follow Scent, and is Trained in Track, Assist Track [Complete Adventurer, p. 100], Hunt [Complete Adventurer, p. 100], Seek, Attack, and Down.
    f. Smokehouse (30 yards to west).
    6’ x 8’ sauna/smokehouse.
    The swineherd wasn’t doing well with his parent’s property until about 10 years ago (even now, it’s a little run down). Then, he shifted from gardening and animal husbandry (for which he has little love) to hunting and foraging. His truffle-hunting forays, with the assistance of his trained sow, have been particularly lucrative, if dangerous [he will be hunting one thing or another 70% of the time; 4% of the time he will be at market]. So far, he has survived his fights with the hostile denizens of the woods. After his father’s death, he has married, and his half-sister married the adept of Phyton (to whom he is indifferent) [visiting 1%]. Those who don’t understand Flann very well might have trouble communicating with him.

Treat him as initially “Friendly” or “Indifferent” to most villagers, and “Indifferent” to everyone else.

If the village needs the services of a tracker, he will proudly spend up to two weeks assisting without charge. For a period over that, or for outsiders:

Helpful Friendly Indifferent
    Per Day of Tracking (with trained pig) 3 sp/day 4 sp/day 1 gp/day

Note: This is for his services as a tracker, not a sniper/infiltrator, for which he would ask the tracking fee, plus a double share (for the pig), assuming that he accepts at all.

He is trying to train additional pigs.

D&D 3: Male human Com1/Sct2 (3,503 XP): HD 1d6; hp 6; AL N; Str 10, Dex 11, Con 11, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 12. Appearance: 41 yrs., 5ft. 3in., 129lb., wavy near black hair, brown eyes, reddish-brown skin, Com 5. Skills: Climb +1, Handle Animal +5, Profession (Herdsman) +3, Profession (Hunter) +5, Profession (Stockman) +1, Search +1, Survival +5. Languages: Flann (native), Common (basic). Feats: Skill Focus (Survival) [+3]; Track. Traits: Illiterate. Special Abilities: Trapfinding, Skirmish.
    AD&D2: 1st level Thief (162 XP): HD1d6; hp 5; AL N; Str 11, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11, Com 6. Possible Proficiencies: Light Crossbow, Animal Handling, Tracking, Hunting, Foraging, Handaxe.
    AD&D1: 1st level Thief (162 XP): HD1d6; hp 5; AL N; Str 11, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 12, Com 5. Possible Proficiencies: Light Crossbow, Animal Handling, Tracking, Hunting, Foraging, Handaxe.
    Possessions: Light Crossbow and handaxe; padded or leather armor (by season).
    Post- CY 577: At the end of CY 588, the swineherd’s old trained pig will die, but will have been replaced with two others. At the end of CY 591, one of the legs of the hut will break in the middle of the night, collapsing the hut in the middle of the night. No one will be killed, but it will take a while to rebuild, even with the neighbors’ help. A Craft (Carpentry) DC of 20 within one month of the collapse will notice the flaw, DC 15 within 24 hours. Neither the swineherd, his step-mother, nor any regular visitors will note the flaw before the collapse. If a PC does, the swineherd’s attitude improves one category, if the PCs help, it improves by two categories.

The swineherd’s stepmother’s husband passed away three years ago. She is the mother of the wife of the priest of Phyton. She generally stays inside nowadays, cooking and cleaning [5% at market].

D&D3X: Female human Com2 (1,699 XP): HD 2d4+0; hp 2; AL N; Str 4, Dex 8 , Con 9, Int 12, Wis 12 Cha 13 Appearance: 5ft. 1in., 130lb., 62 yrs., wavy near black (graying) hair, light brown eyes, very dark reddish-tan skin, Com 5. Skills: Clib +3 –Str = +0, Heal (non-class) +1 +Wis = +2, Profession (Cook) +5 + Wis + SF = +9, Profession (Seamstress) +4 + Wis = +5, Profession (Stockman) +5 + Wis = +6. Languages: Flann (native), Common (basic). Feats: Lt. Crossbow, Skill Focus (Cook) [+3], Great Fortitude. Traits: Illiterate* [*D&D 3.5 UA, p. 88].
    AD&D2: 0 level Woman? (+ 343 XP): HD 1d4+0; hp 2; AL N; Str 5, Dex 9 , Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 11, Com 6. Possible Proficiencies: Light Crossbow, Cook, Animal Husbandry.
    AD&D1: 0 level Woman? ( +343 XP): HD 1d4+0; hp 2; AL N; Str 5, Dex 9 , Con 11, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 11, Com 5. Possible Proficiencies/Skills: Light Crossbow, Cook, Animal Husbandry.
    Post- CY 577: She will be hurt badly (i.e., temporarily reduced below 0 hit points during the hut collapse in CY 591, but will survive at least until after the new year.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:50 pm  

I meant to post this late Thursday night, but I slept instead. Happy

I lost my Postfest file. Working versions of the map? Gone. More importantly, all of the text I had organized and written was lost. Anyways, I fortunately still had the "finished" map (which is hosted on dropbox), and over the last few weeks I have been in the process of going through the various threads and recompiling all of the information I formerly had. At this point, I only have about six pages of notes to go through. As usual, I just need to stick to finishing writing what is needed, and not get sidetracked by new ideas I think of along the way. Razz

Last edited by Cebrion on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Paladin

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:08 am  

All good Ceb.... we have all been there on PC glitches......
    Thanks James for the the Thread bump & the structuring for various offshoot editions...... will be re-visiting mine to better frame out "usurping" your style. Evil Grin
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:37 am  

Bump? Question
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:36 am  

We'll be going back to a simpler format for the next Postfest instead of pursuing this one at the moment. So this topic will be continuing to take a bit of a nap (but not a dirt nap). Laughing Expect an interim Postfest announcement sometime after tax season is over and done with (in the U.S that is). Until then...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: