Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Bucknard, where for art thou Bucknard?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Bucknard, where for art thou Bucknard?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:01 am  
    Bucknard, where for art thou Bucknard?

Canoneers,

Could any of you fellers/ladies point me in the direction of information about the history/exploits/anything concerning the affable, yet missing (shows you how far charm and wit gets you...), Bucknard, of everfull purse fame.

FL
    CF Admin

Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:14 am  

Per Zavoda's index, ofcourse.

Quote:
    Bucknard [NPC]
    DMG1 - 122
    DRG#71 - 19
    DRG#82 - 59
    LGJ#0 - 6
    PGTG - 18,23
    TAB - 60
    WOGG - 33

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:13 am  

From GH'98 products, my understanding is that Bucknard was lost on adventure -- perhaps on another plane of existence, or maybe in parts south of the Flanaess.

Great adventures could be had recovering/rescuing him. IIRC, Bucknard was connected to the Keoghish throne (though this may be IMC).
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:55 pm  

I always was fascinated about Bucknard no matter how little i knew about him, and loved the idea of his everful purse (which was a shame to have his name erased from this artifact in the description of Epic Level Handbook). I decided to make use of his disappearance as one of the major plots of my campaign. After become frustrated by the inaction of the Circle of Eight when Iuz was released and after his concubine (a relatively powerful rogue) fell to the clutches of the Cambions Minions and was vampirized by Maskaleyne, he tried to search for a way to topple the new demigod once and for all. With the help of Keoghtom (I didnt know how to describe him as a wizard or rogue/bard, so I used the former option and put him as a planeshifter also) , he discovered about the Soul Gem of the Old One in Zuggtmoy's plane and with the help of the qualsi-deity and Zagyg, he managed to steal it after the demoness of fungi became entrapped/unconscious with the fall of the Temple of Elemental Evil.

His disappearance was planned as he studied in his voluntary exile (he knew Mordenkainen wouldnt have his way) the best way to destroy the soul gem in his lab at the demiplane he adopted as base. However, his subterfuge didn't last long and eventually Iuz perceived the illusory trickery behind a fake soulstone that rested in the plane of Zuggtmoy. After a furious search, the Old One finally discovered the culprit and sent his greatest demonic forces after the demiplane. Bucknard would escape if Keoghtom wasnt stopped by a much regretful Zagyg, that according to Boccob's all-seeing eye, the former member of the Circle was meant to be caught, no matter the consequences (a rare command of the Uncaring God). The wizard was captured, much tortured and interrogated, but the soul gem wasnt there (he chose a safer and unlikely hideout for it prior) and worse, even the most power divinations of the Old One couldnt extract the truth. Bucknard something erased all his work about the Soul gem and even a wish couldnt restore the lost information. Frustrated, Iuz decided to relocate the wizard to somewhere more isolated than Prime, so Bucknard is in eternal torture in one of the cells of Grazz't Argent Palace. Bucknard wasn't foolish and planned a contact in the case of his quest went awry, but he couldnt be more unfortunate to choose his former friend Rary, whom he hasn't been in contact for several years. His spells didn't reach the Traitor's Mind and his last contingence plan -> sending his partially amnesic adult son to contact the mage in the City of Greyhawk was foiled as Rary was now a wanted criminal. This young human is one of the character, who sometime ago finally discovered the identity of his father through a secret message, also learning WHO (Iuz) was looking for him, sending so many assassins, including his deranged vampiric mother. He still doesnt know why Iuz wants him so badly (he has the clues that will eventually lead to the Soul Gem)

I know this is a personal campaign plot and not a canonical version (there's very little of him in the sources..thanks Abysslin - the reference you brought helped me when i browsed the Dragon Mag CD), but i was so glad someone who was interested in this enigmatic Bucknard. I would like to know alternative versions of him in other campaigns :-)

Victor Caminha

Last edited by Wykthor on Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:41 am  

Wykthor,

Absolutely fantastic story/plot/scheme! It fits in perfectly with the canon sources (I have not read the bits in the Dragon about our lost little lamb...anything good?).

I suppose that Bucknard, known (and welcome?) in courts (and presumably brothels and fest-halls) from Keoland to Nyrond, has many citadels and lairs, and a huge network of contacts and spies (rivaling Mordies). Bucknard is reportedly very young, friendly and an archmage. Any ideas about his origin, plans, and relationships with any important people of Greyhawk?

I am planning to have one of the characters be an apprentice of Bucknard, who is suddenly and abruptly dismissed from service (along with almost all other retatiners) preceeding Bucknard's jaunt to other planes and summary dissapearance in CY 579.
    The players will enter the ToEE scenario. Your idea about Bucknard seeking Iuz's soul is PERFECT, especially if the young apprentice eventually attracts the attention of the Old One, who discovers a "spy" for Bucknard (who just pilferd the ONE thing Iuz truly cares about...) deep in his business. Throw in that (IMC) Mordenkainen was behind the abduction of Thrommel (to "balance" the intervention of Cuthbert), and "sold" him to Grazzt (with the caveat that no harm could come to the Prince). Grazzt, (to the consternation of Mordie), "sold" Thrommel to Iuz. Additionally, Lolth is prolly going to get her claws on the golden orb and take over the ToEE, (Falrinth et al.--including some nasty drow--stage a coup in the temple), then use this item/control of nodes to exact some VERY painful concessions from both Tzuggtmoy and Iuz.

Throw in the players and things could get messy.

FL
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:11 am  

>Absolutely fantastic story/plot/scheme! It fits in perfectly with the canon sources (I have not read the bits in the Dragon about our lost little lamb...anything good?).

Thanks :-) . Unfortunately, there wasn't anything new. Only reference to him, but no details.

> I suppose that Bucknard, known (and welcome?) in courts (and presumably brothels and fest-halls) from Keoland to Nyrond, has many citadels and lairs, and a huge network of contacts and spies (rivaling Mordies).

Didn't remeber his vast network, but I put him as a friend of Morgyr the Old, leader of the Silent Ones. As Bucknard was well-known in Keoland, it would make sense to develop some relationship.

> Bucknard is reportedly very young, friendly and an archmage. Any ideas about his origin, plans, and relationships with any important people of Greyhawk?

Well, canonically no. I've created some background for him (not really much, as he still didnt appeeared in the sessions)

> I am planning to have one of the characters be an apprentice of Bucknard, who is suddenly and abruptly dismissed from service (along with almost all other retatiners) preceeding Bucknard's jaunt to other planes and summary dissapearance in CY 579.

Great! I wished the player whose character is the wizard's son would be a mage so i could made him an apprentice. But she loves fighters :-)

> especially if the young apprentice eventually attracts the attention of the Old One, who discovers a "spy" for Bucknard (who just pilferd the ONE thing Iuz truly cares about...) deep in his business.

Agreed 100%. I had to put some "divine scrying-foil" under the party to avoid the "instant discovery and boneheart war party carnage". Thanks to some indirect interference by St. Cuthbert and Rao (the greatest enemies of the Old One), thats didnt happen yet.

> Throw in that (IMC) Mordenkainen was behind the abduction of Thrommel (to "balance" the intervention of Cuthbert), and "sold" him to Grazzt (with the caveat that no harm could come to the Prince).

Nasty nasty nasty Mord :-)

> Grazzt, (to the consternation of Mordie), "sold" Thrommel to Iuz.

Hmm.. does Mordenkainen have any contingency plan for that?

>Throw in the players and things could get messy.

Agreed.

Victor Caminha
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: