Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Fire the Canon! Issue 1!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! Chronicles
    Fire the Canon! Issue 1!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:24 pm  
    Fire the Canon! Issue 1!

Nyaha! Thought I'd post first here to talk about the first issue of *echoey voice* Canonfire Chronicles! */echoey voice* Throwing out my two bullywug-cents.

It feels VERY well put together. I'm very impressed by the layout and design of the whole magazine. To draw similarities, it feels like all the design goodness of Kobold Quarterly meets the Wayfinder zine. Very impressive, and I hope to see the same level of quality with every issue afterwards.

Other than "Agnosco Adventum", I have yet to read through the other adventures front to back. Of course, I've only read Agnosco Adventum because I had been working on artwork for it back in April of 2012. Long quest, very well written. The others look great, and I can't wait to delve into them!

The cover is beautiful! My only suggestion would be a "on the cover" section in the index, just explaining briefly what it is. I think Dragon and Dungeon Magazine use to do something like that? If not, that's cool. 2 cents.

A small thing, but important to me, a back cover. Yeah. Seems silly. I like to print out the Oerth journals and bind them into physical books that I can hold. To me, I always want a front cover (with an interior) and a back cover (also with an interior). Usually if I don't have a back cover, I use Mortellan's WOG comics as a filler page or back cover (I love those comics!). Back cover looks really great, by the way.

Not-as-positive things. My name is spelled wrong. :( It's "Adam Koča", not "Adam Kòca". Of course, nobody ever pronounces it right in real life, so it's not really a big deal. It's mostly right. I can deal.

The cover for Agnosco Adventum looks AWESOME! I'm not gonna lie, I drew it, maybe I'm slightly biased. It got flipped during formatting. So... pay no attention to the backwards Keoland symbol on the flag.

Slightly confused about the OGL in the back of the zine. Not sure if that was the right move. Meh.

Unfortunately, my picture of Atrox from Agnosco Adventum did not make it in. I'll have to ask SirXaris about that, or see if I can just post it up. Also, I was super-psyched to see a picture of "Bad Ax" from Agnosco Adventum... and alas, no Bad Ax. I would have drawn him personally based on his name alone!

Despite my few little gripes, I am so excited and proud to have been a part of the whole process. I can't wait for the next one. Hopefully it won't take as long as the last one. I think issue 1 was definitely worth the wait, though.

*ribbit*
    GreySage

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:20 am  

Thanks for the praise and suggestions, Adam! Smile

I have noticed, belatedly, that more than one of the pieces of artwork I sent in didn't get included. That's partly my fault for not realizing it during the final edit. I'll check with Wolfling to see what might be done about it.

SirXaris

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:59 am  

Thanks for the feedback Adam - your 2 bullywug cents are most welcome and they were all valid points.

I agree regarding the back cover but we were bound to a strict deadline and alas time ran out. I didn't want to repeat a previous image on the back cover as that seemed lazy so in the end we settled on a plain and simple back cover. In future the back cover will be better thought out.

The 'art on the cover section' is a good idea. I did think about it but the cover art for issue 1 was not intended as Greyhawk art, instead I hunted down an image that had some fire imagery but wasn't as obvious as a dragon or something like that. When I saw the image I thought of Joramy - who as goddess of heated debate and fire I thought was perfect for the flagship issue and Cathrine Langwagen kindly agreed to allow us to use it.

I have just done a re-edit of Issue 1 to include your three illustrations that were missing. I checked back through the artwork I received and those were definitely not amongst the files so I think they all went for a swim for freedom along the way! Either way, it has been rectified now so be sure to re-download Issue 1!

You'll also see the OGL has been taken out.

Aside from that I'm glad you liked the layout - it was definitely a learning curve for me as I was teaching myself the layout program from scratch as I went along. A few stressful moments plowing through tutorials but hopefully it paid off!

It was great to have you on board as your artwork really helped make the issue and I'm sure the whole team will look forward to seeing future contributions from you!!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:20 pm  

Awesome! That was really fast.

However... when I attempt to redownload the issue, I am prompted to enter a password.

I have no password... :(
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 pm  

Heh, the ongoing issues of issue 1 ... I have no password either so that's strange. I'll look into it - from what page is it asking for a password? The download page on Canonfire! or somewhere else?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 am  

Updated version is now available here:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=19

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:13 pm  

THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL SEAL ON THE COVER

I WONDER WHO WAS THE LINGUISTIC GENIUS WHO PUT THAT PHRASE IN LATIN

Razz

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:07 pm  

Le Noir Faineant wrote:
    THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL SEAL ON THE COVER

I WONDER WHO WAS THE LINGUISTIC GENIUS WHO PUT THAT PHRASE IN LATIN

Razz

Awesome LNF! Thanks for the contribution! Happy

SirXaris

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:32 pm  

Shush, I have done so little to make this project happen, I feel like Neal Gaiman. Evil Grin

I had no idea the CFC was in some sort a response to the OJ slowing down; from now on, whenever you have a new project like this, directly contact me, and I will help. Smile

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:40 pm  

Le Noir Faineant wrote:
    I had no idea the CFC was in some sort a response to the OJ slowing down;

Actually, that was never the purpose. We thought it would be a good idea to have the OJ specialize and that would allow the C!C to specialize as well. We hope that people will now have a better idea of where to submit their projects and both ezines will see increased publication.

Quote:
    ...from now on, whenever you have a new project like this, directly contact me, and I will help. Smile

Excellent! That's what we want to hear. Happy

SirXaris

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:46 pm  

Ah, good to know. Greyhawk is still, in many ways, the base for my entire roleplaying, and it's sad to see it is slowly fading without official support. CF is certainly doing a brilliant job in slowing down that process, at the very least. :)

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:07 pm  

We all keep it alive for those who love it and for those who would like to know it better. Smile

SirXaris

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:14 am  

Just meandered my way back and wanted to congratulate everyone on the first edition; it's downloaded and waiting to be perused, but unfortunately so are a lot of other things but that's another story.

Well done, guys, you deserve to feel proud of your achievements.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 pm  

Thanks for the feedback and well wishes everyone. Le Noir Faineant be careful we have ways of making sure you never leave our summoning circles.

Ragr,

Hopefully you get to peruse its contents soon.

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! Chronicles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: