Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Spells and Magic that Grate on my nerves within GH
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Spells and Magic that Grate on my nerves within GH
    Master Greytalker

Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:11 am  
    Spells and Magic that Grate on my nerves within GH

I have been playing (2nd ed) for several years and enjoy it but their are just some spells and magic items that have become as nails on the proverbial chalk board to me, I cringe when they are mentioned.

The spell Clone : I know they were trying to provide a magic-user alternative to raise dead, so much for the uniqueness of the priest class and value of established faiths, but it is just plain silly most DMs can be browbeaten into clones so at higher levels every wizard has an army of sleeping clones rending him unkillable see the recent revivial of the circle of eight.

The spell Fireball : not so much for the spell but how it is misunderstood sigh...it is usually the first flashy spell the wizard tries to get most can only see the extra 1d6 per level aspect and happily fling fireballs at anything that moves but a fireball is explosive it can't be used in a small confined space say a dungeon (blowback), a forest (anger the druids and rangers), farmland or cities (most people don't like to fight fires or see their homes and crops burn).

The spell Creeping Doom : This is suppose to be the epitome of Druidic power to solve planetary threats, it's power a symbol to others respect nature and druids or else and used as such responsibly works well unfortunately most players for some reason ego or boredom sooner or later see the 500 - 1000 damage and completely lose their mind as they go on a homocidal rampage...as if the druidic circles would allow the guardian of Oerth to wander personally assassinating the powerful.

Apparatis of Kwalish : will someone please explain with all the relatively simple spells to explore the sea how a Jules Vern contraption (new name) appears as a magic item in GH.

Overpowered spells and items cause the magic creep that ruins games because before long fighters and thieves are complaining not without reason that they can't match the walking unkillable artillery pieces that magic-users become and before long you can't sling a dead cat without hitting someone walking around bedecked in cloaks, rings, and the numerous various + whatever swords of ultimate death.

I could go on but I will stop (rant over)

I look forward to your replies and your lists plus the reasons they grate on your nerves.
    CF Admin

Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:44 am  

How about Chromatic Orb!?

Once the caster is 8th level + the target is paralyzed for a number of rounds even if it fails it save!

I had a 6-8th level group kill a T-Rex within a few rounds with the mage paralyzing him every at his conveinence. Hardly a challange....

I ripped that page right out of the damn book after that episode, heh..

Maybe had it not been such a low level spell, I could relate.

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:24 pm  

Hey don't get started on Polymorph Other Shocked

old rant enclosed in this thread;
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=350&sid=21058dd3d0042ecf684e043c58bfc6e9

Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:14 pm  

Personally, I don't see the problem with clone. I run 1st/2nd ed. There hasn't been a clone yet, but one PC is trying to save up to afford it. The spell description says that the clone starts growing immeadiately, and when it achives consciousness it has to fight with the original.

Thus, clone is not a problem if the DM makes the players figure out how they are going to keep the clone from growing until the right time. "Armies of sleeping clones" are simply too expensive.

One scheme I have outlined to my players involves taking a piece of flesh, casting Freshen on it and Permanency on the Freshen, then casting a Contingency spell with the Clone, such that clone will be cast on the flesh if the owner ever is dead for more than two weeks. One limited wish is needed to allow the contingency to be cast on a spell of more than 6th level, and another limited wish is needed to allow the contingency to be cast on something that is not the caster. I don't, but a DM could rule that another limited wish is needed to allow the Permancy to be cast on a spell not specifically allowed in its description. Since limited wish ages and Permancy can reduce Constitution, by the time the character pays for all off this, one clone ends up costing a huge sum. An army is impossible.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:54 am  

Yeah those spells are quite contentious. One set of spells that springs to my mind from 3E that I hate is all 'Mass' spells. There was a few of em in 2E but now in 3E there is a mass version of everything. It was cool at first but now its ridiculous. For healing I can see the need, but most mass spells are for buffing up characters now. Lame.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: