Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Proposal: Cardstock Chronicles?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! Chronicles
    Proposal: Cardstock Chronicles?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:23 pm  
    Proposal: Cardstock Chronicles?

So, over the past year or so I've been working on a lot of Dungeons & Dragons character/monster artwork. Neutral poses. Nothing Oerth shattering. Mostly for reference purposes. Lately, I've been sizing them appropriately and using them for my game sessions. I've even drawn out a few Canonfire-exclusive monsters and used them in games. Fun stuff. My group seems to enjoy them a lot.

I discussed this with SirXaris, and here's my idea. An adventure printed in Canonfire Chronicles (#2, we'll say), that has an optional "web enhancement" you can download. That web enhancement would be in the form of a monster/character sheet, which would allow you to print off all (or select few) the monsters/npcs in said adventure. Battle 8 norkers in the adventure? Great. There are 8 similar but varying norkers on the monster sheet. All scaled appropriately for the game. It'll be a big undertaking, but I think it would be a neat addition to the Chronicles.

For those not familiar with the kind of work I do, here are some (practically) ancient stuff I did at the beginning of the year: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5508

And here are recent examples: http://hologramzx.deviantart.com/gallery/

Yes, there are a lot of Christmas pictures in there. :) Skip past them and you'll see the fantasy stuff.

What are you opinions on this? (Good or bad, I want to hear all opinions)
    GreySage

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:46 pm  

I am very excited about this idea, U_B!

I'm not really sure what you mean by a "web enhancement" - is it simply a different download than the 2nd edition of the C!C? I am envisioning that you'll make up several of these NPC/monster portraits to fit on a regular 8.5" x 11" page and it (or several of them, if we have that many to include) can be added to the download for C!C #2.

Whatever way we do it, I would love to add this feature to our fanzine. It would be a great way to provide miniatures specific to the adventures in our magazine without people having to fork over a lot of money for metal/plastics that are simply close to what the NPC/monster is supposed to look like.

SirXaris

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 pm  

I suppose web enhancement was an inaccurate choice.

You very much hit the nail on the head, SirXaris. A page of printable monsters/npcs. Nothing bothers me more than weird figures that don't resemble what you're fighting (we fought a gnoll the other night, and our figure was a SKELETON with a TUBA). Also, whenever a custom monsters makes it's way into the Chronicles, you always know exactly what kind of monster you're looking at.

And it doesn't take up a lot of room in the zine. Just a few pages, depending on the amount of baddies.
    GreySage

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:41 pm  

Excellent! It should be a very easy thing to include such a page or three into the ezine. The hard work would be on you, the artist.

SirXaris

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:33 am  

Sounds good to me. Don't worry about page space at all, as there is not really any sort of finite page limit per issue (i.e each issue is as long as it needs to be). I would recommend putting the pages of paper miniatures in the issue, but also offer them as a separate file. That way, people who only want to print the paper miniatures can do so, and in the event that the separate file "wanders off", at least the pages will also still be preserved in the issue. Wink

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:32 am  

I give it two thumbs up! The financially strapped would really appreciate those.

On a side note these would be handy as well. http://www.boardgamedesign.com/pages/go_shopping_2012/chipboard_player_pieces.htm with these http://www.boardgamedesign.com/pages/go_shopping_2012/stands.htm

Though your folded version is the best option because you can scale it to the map grid more precisely.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:08 pm  

Sounds like a splendid idea ....
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! Chronicles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: