JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - standard powers of any demigod
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    standard powers of any demigod
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:06 pm  
    standard powers of any demigod

I can't find my deities and demigods but when do these powers take effect in the round? What does it take for the demigod to use any of these powers? Would he still get an attack or the chance to cast a spell?
    GreySage

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 pm  

Again, going off memory, but the innate, or spell-like, powers all demigods (or Gods, too) possess do not require material or somatic components and, if I am correct, have an initiative modifier of +3 to their roll.

-Lanthorn
    CF Admin

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:00 am  
    Re: standard powers of any demigod

mcneilk wrote:
    I can't find my deities and demigods but when do these powers take effect in the round? What does it take for the demigod to use any of these powers? Would he still get an attack or the chance to cast a spell?

That's an age-old question that's still being debated today :D and basically results in you as DM having to make a call on how spell-like abilities and powers work in your games. For some recent discussion of this, see Dragonsfoot @ http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65018

FWIW, I rule that spell-like powers as used in addition to the full melee attack routine, and further that they are spell-like and not spells, therefore that their usage cannot be interrupted in the same way that spells can. YMMV, of course!: other folks rule that monsters with spell-like abilities are only able to attack or to use a spell-like ability in a round but not both, and some of them still allow spell-like abilities to be disrupted by successful attacks by PCs.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:06 pm  

Demigods are tricky....a strong party can possibly go toe to toe with one, but they do bring considerable powers to a fight. I don't think every Demigod has the ability to cast Finger of Death like Iuz, which is quite powerful considering he can perform it once every round, but I could be wrong. So I wonder, is defeating a Demigod one of the steps to becoming one yourself?
    GreySage

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:16 pm  

According to pages 37-38 of the Glossography of the original boxed set (A Guide to the World of Greyhawk), the Standard Divine Abilities "common" to ALL deities includes the following:

Astral and Ethereal travel
    Comprehend Languages
    Continual Darkness/Light
    Cure Blindness, Deafness, Disease, Feeblemind, Insanity
    Detect Charm, Evil, Good, Illusion
    Detect Invisibility, Lie, Magic, Traps
    Geas
    Infravision and Ultravision
    Know Alignment
    Levitate
    Mirror Image
    Polymorph Self
    Read Languages, Read Magic
    Teleport without Error
    Tongues

IN ADDITION, DemiGods have the following abilities:
    Anti-Magic Shell (1/day)
    Command, 2 rounds (2/day)
    Cure Light Wounds (3/day)
    Dispel Evil/Good, Illusion, Magic (2/day)
    Finger of Death
    Gate (1/day)
    Heal (1/day)
    Holy/Unholy Word (1/day)
    Invisibility
    Limited Wish (1/day)
    Phantasmal Force
    Protection from Evil/Good, 10' radius
    Raise Dead (3/day)
    Remove Fear
    Summon (limited to one or two creatures of not more than 20 HD total; of same alignment and same type)
    Symbol (1/day)
    True Seeing (2/day)
    Wall of Force

Given these astonishing powers alone, I wouldn't wanna meet one in battle...

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:06 pm  

thats what the temple module says. But what does it mean?

do they know alignment, comprehend languages, detect charm, evil, etc automatically. if it is automatic does that also include all the other abilities in the first section ie. levitate, plymorph self, teleport without error.

When does automatic come in the melee round? What about the additional abilities of demigods? How much could iuz perform in five or six segments.

I am thinking with a wave of his gnarled boney claw a wall of force against the wizard, a spittle attack vs the druid who has been instrumental in the success of the party and a melee attack vs the ranger all before St. cuthbert shows up.

Assuming they can acquire the last power gem
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:26 pm  

They are innate, spell-like abilities. Read your PHB/DMG to find out how many segments it takes to use such things.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:57 am  

mcneilk wrote:
    thats what the temple module says. But what does it mean?

do they know alignment, comprehend languages, detect charm, evil, etc automatically. if it is automatic does that also include all the other abilities in the first section ie. levitate, plymorph self, teleport without error.

When does automatic come in the melee round? What about the additional abilities of demigods? How much could iuz perform in five or six segments.

I am thinking with a wave of his gnarled boney claw a wall of force against the wizard, a spittle attack vs the druid who has been instrumental in the success of the party and a melee attack vs the ranger all before St. cuthbert shows up.

Assuming they can acquire the last power gem

Alright, let's go through these powers line by line. Here's how I'd rule at my table. YMMV.

Astral and Ethereal travel = as his action for the round
    Comprehend Languages = automatic, as if under a personal permanency spell
    Continual Darkness/Light = as his action for the round
    Cure Blindness, Deafness, Disease, Feeblemind, Insanity = as his action for the round
    Detect Charm, Evil, Good, Illusion = automatic, as if under a personal permanency spell
    Detect Invisibility, Lie, Magic, Traps = automatic, as if under a personal permanency spell
    Geas = as his action for the round
    Infravision and Ultravision = automatic, as if under a personal permanency spell
    Know Alignment = as his action for the round
    Levitate = change elevation as his action for the round; can take other actions while hovering
    Mirror Image = as his action for the round
    Polymorph Self = as his action for the round
    Read Languages, Read Magic = automatic, as if under a personal permanency spell
    Teleport without Error = as his action for the round
    Tongues = automatic, as if under a personal permanency spell

IN ADDITION, DemiGods have the following abilities:
    Anti-Magic Shell (1/day) = as his action for the round
    Command, 2 rounds (2/day) = as his action for the round
    Cure Light Wounds (3/day) = as his action for the round
    Dispel Evil/Good, Illusion, Magic (2/day) = as his action for the round
    Finger of Death = as his action for the round
    Gate (1/day) = as his action for the round
    Heal (1/day) = as his action for the round
    Holy/Unholy Word (1/day) = as his action for the round
    Invisibility = as his action for the round
    Limited Wish (1/day) = as his action for the round
    Phantasmal Force = as his action for the round
    Protection from Evil/Good, 10' radius = automatic, as if under a personal permanency spell
    Raise Dead (3/day) = as his action for the round
    Remove Fear = as his action for the round
    Summon (limited to one or two creatures of not more than 20 HD total; of same alignment and same type) = as his action for the round
    Symbol (1/day) = as his action for the round
    True Seeing (2/day) = as his action for the round
    Wall of Force = as his action for the round
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:51 am  

Cebrion i looked in both books and didn't see what i was looking for.
    DMprata thanks for the list but i don't quite agree with all of them. In a one minute melee round i am sure that a demigod could do more than invisibility which is a 2 segment spell.

I will keep looking in the phb and dmg to get the info and will post if i find it.

ps- gaming this weekend. We will finally finish the ToEE. Started in the fall of 2012.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 am  

mcneilk wrote:
    Cebrion I looked in both books and didn't see what i was looking for.

Don't you just love how awesomely organized the 1E core books are, and how useful the indexes are? I used to know the 1E books backwards and forwards, but enough years spent away from them leaves one feeling lost much too often when revisiting them.

I think that spell-like abilities are treated like spells, and that the speed factor for spell-like abilities is covered with a generic note in the Spells & Combat section of the DMG. I can't remember where though, but I think it is there. Read very carefully, line by line, or you might miss it (too many things are like that).

Also, though the spell-like abilities have a speed factor, it takes but a thought to activate them, and as such they cannot be interrupted by enemy attacks. They always go off, unless the creature using them is killed first.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:11 pm  

mcneilk wrote:
    DMprata thanks for the list but i don't quite agree with all of them. In a one minute melee round i am sure that a demigod could do more than invisibility which is a 2 segment spell.
    You're the DM and can do as you like, of course. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the 1E rules, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that even a demigod can use multiple spells or spell-like abilities in a round.
    GreySage

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:41 pm  

Ceb is right about spell-like abilities. They CANNOT be disrupted by successful attacks against the being that uses them.

They have an initiative modifier of +3 to the die roll.

ONE can be used per round. Period. It counts as an action (though you may allow the being to move up to half its total rate, etc).

If you want, some can be enacted PRIOR to the encounter, especially the detection spell-like abilities.

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:37 pm  

thanks for the discussion guys. I am going with one spell like power in the round but am gonna have some physical attack as well. That +3 initiative will be useful since we use a 2e version of initiative.

Reading the 1e books makes me feel like i am getting quite alot for my money. Its an amazing game.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:17 am  

Oh, there are tons of things in those books, just not all of it is easy to find all of the time. You'll just have to read it ten times then (not exactly a punishment)! Happy
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: