JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Fly + Dimension Door combination effects
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Fly + Dimension Door combination effects
    GreySage

Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:03 pm  
    Fly + Dimension Door combination effects

So, another infamous Lanthorn query that has my main player/co-DM and I at odds:

A Fly spell is precast but the wizard is walking along instead of flying. He is attacked, and to escape, uses a Dimension Door to "teleport" straight up into the air. The mage is now unable to do anything for a round, as per the spell effect description.

Does he fall? OR Does the Fly spell prevent him from falling?

We are 'debating' the outcome, with one of us at the former end, and the other taking the latter position.

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:31 pm  

I think I have to go with the fly spell keeps him aloft.

I am basing this on the fly spell mentioning it takes no more concentration than walking and the dimension door spell mentioning the caster will fall if no solid ground is below them "unless further magical means are employed."

I think one can make an argument the other way as well but as for me, I would allow them to at least hover while recovering from the dimension door spell.

I based this off the 2nd edition versions of the spells.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:40 pm  

The character is not unconscious, just unable to take any action, such a movement, etc. Hovering is not considered to be movement, just holding position, like standing is (and I am pretty sure that a standing spell caster doesn't just flop over onto the ground prone after using a dimension door spell). Wink Also note that, after using dimension door spell, the spell caster is not otherwise hindered, so keeps Dexterity modifiers to AC, etc. Dimension door is just a lower level spell, with a slight downside for play balance, and nothing more.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:29 pm  

I'm with mheaton118. The Fly spell should immediately work since, as you said Lanthorn, a standing spellcaster doesn't fall prone upon Dimension Dooring. Therefore, the Fly spell should cause him to hover instead of falling from the sky.

SirXaris

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:22 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    I'm with mheaton118. The Fly spell should immediately work since, as you said Lanthorn, a standing spellcaster doesn't fall prone upon Dimension Dooring. Therefore, the Fly spell should cause him to hover instead of falling from the sky.

SirXaris

That was Cebrion, actually. Wink

I guess I am merely wondering just what "Recovery from the use of a Dimension Door spell requires one round" entails. I will agree with Cebrion that the spell-caster isn't knocked unconscious, but I read this to mean the person is disoriented, winded, and the like, and thus, an easy target if discovered.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:14 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    I guess I am merely wondering just what "Recovery from the use of a Dimension Door spell requires one round" entails. I will agree with Cebrion that the spell-caster isn't knocked unconscious, but I read this to mean the person is disoriented, winded, and the like, and thus, an easy target if discovered.

I suggest that a better interpretation of that quote is simply that the spell caster must get his or her bearing before taking any action. They are not sickened, nauseated, off-balance, etc., but simply require a bit of time to allow their senses (sight, mostly) to orient themselves to their new location. Once that is accomplished, they may act normally. This means they can stand and even walk around slowly, but they need at least a few seconds to see where opponents and physical obstacles are located with respect to themselves before taking any offensive action.

As an example, I blacked out from pain once and woke only a couple of seconds later. I saw my vision narrowing into a black tunnel, felt my legs and arms stop moving, and the last thing I knew, my body was falling forward. Almost immediately, I awoke on my back with full faculties. I know it was only a couple of seconds because my (ex) wife had only that much time to react when I fell. Never-the-less, I had to lay there for a few seconds to take stock of my situation - to make sense of what had just happened, why I was lying on my back on the floor, and whether I was injured or not.

That may not be a perfect simulation of what it's like to magically transport instantaneously, but I think it offers some insight into the possibilities.

SirXaris

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:08 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:

-Lanthorn

Initially, I was of the opinion that the caster should fall. However, too many cogent posts in the other opinion have changed my mind on that.
    I do believe that the round of disorientation after stepping through the Dimension Door should, or at least could, mean the caster would be unable to move effectively, and therefore lose any Dex bonuses to AC, for the duration of disorientation. I mean even if the caster did step through, onto solid ground.
    So, in your situation, my opinion is that the caster steps through, into the air, and due to the Fly spell, would be saved from falling, but spends the round hovering there, regaining his bearings. As you said "an easy target, if discovered". Of course, that assumes the foe(s) think to look up.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:38 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:

There are no other penalties. It is just way to make the spell less powerful ( though still useful) by imposing a limitation on what a character can do. The character is in no way a sitting duck. The character is aware, has full Dex modifiers, isn't stunned, etc. They just can't choose to do anything the next round. It is best thought of as the RPG equivalent of board games' "Lose Your Next Turn". Laughing (Seriously though, that is exactly what it is, and how it works.)

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:23 pm  

Thank you all for your interpretations and comments. It has helped to resolve the debate between my friend and me...in fact, you all convinced me that he wouldn't plummet to his demise under these circumstances (should they come to fruition). Happy

thanks!

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:59 pm  

Possibly fun reminder: the duration for fly is 1 turn/level + 1d6 turns, but you, the DM roll the d6 and keep it from the player, so depending on how long the spell has been active, he or she has doesn't know when it will run out.
    GreySage

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:33 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Possibly fun reminder: the duration for fly is 1 turn/level + 1d6 turns, but you, the DM roll the d6 and keep it from the player, so depending on how long the spell has been active, he or she has doesn't know when it will run out.

According to 'the Rules' spells with a variable duration should be rolled secretly by the DM and recorded. Cool Those with a predicted duration are recorded by players. I don't really hold to this hard and fast, but it is true that not all spells necessarily give much of a warning, if any, before they fail. DM call, I think.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:29 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:

According to 'the Rules' spells with a variable duration should be rolled secretly by the DM and recorded. Cool Those with a predicted duration are recorded by players. I don't really hold to this hard and fast, but it is true that not all spells necessarily give much of a warning, if any, before they fail. DM call, I think.

-Lanthorn

I say always go with the option that can produce more laughs, and somebody's wizard unexpectedly falling out of the sky is, by definition, inherently funny.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: