Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Introduction + question about city of Greyhawk and more...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Introduction + question about city of Greyhawk and more...
    Novice

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:10 pm  
    Introduction + question about city of Greyhawk and more...

Hi,

I've been roleplaying for several decades and DMing since 1983. The second roleplaying product I ever bought was the old Greyhawk box set. I found the wealth of information intimidating at the time, plus my poor grasp of English didn't help.

Eventually, the oldest of our group because "The Greyhawk guy" and it never felt right for me to use this. I turned to an amalgam of Harn and forgotten Realms products and tied them in some sort of homebrewed setting, and forgot Greyhawk ever existed. For some years now, I have abandoned fantasy gaming and mostly done sci-fi, horror, etc and concentrated on being a player.

But now I'm back ! I'm slowly preparing to DM a fantasy campaign and while I will use D&D 5th, I'm fully committed to run a flavorful, classic game.

Thing is, I'm not sure yet where I want to set this whole thing. I still have my 80s GH Box set. And by chance, I acquired the 1999 GH Gazetteer and started reading it. To my surprise, I enjoyed this a lot more than I anticipated. I also have. The only other product I own right now is Iuz the Evil.

I'm really bugged by the fact I can't seem to locate any information about the city of Greyhawk. I've looked for the box set in my area and couldn't find a copy for sale.

I have a chance to acquire the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. I hear great things about it having detailed entries. Does it contain infos and maps on Greyhawk ? As a DM I really enjoy and rely on city adventuring in my campaign. If the LGG can't help me, where can I find this information ? Are there ressources and maps to legally download somewhere ?

Take care !
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:58 am  

Try Amazon or ebay for the City of Greyhawk boxed (see HERE), which contains two books giving a good amount of detail on the city itself (it also contains maps). The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is a good source too, as is Ivid the Undying (the latter being freely made available by Wizards of the Coast a number of years ago).

And welcome to Canonfire! Happy

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 am  

Welcome to Canonfire!, Consonant_Dude! Happy

For an adventure with lots of city maps and intrigue, you might try to find a copy of Fate of Istus. Also, the classic Village of Hommlet has that village fully mapped out with every villager described.

Additionally, Maldin's Greyhawk website has a wealth of fan-made material for Greyhawk, including maps of the city.

http://melkot.com/locations.html

SirXaris

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:40 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Try Amazon or ebay for the City of Greyhawk boxed (see HERE), which contains two books giving a good amount of detail on the city itself (it also contains maps). The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is a good source too, as is Ivid the Undying (the latter being freely made available by Wizards of the Coast a number of years ago).

And welcome to Canonfire! Happy

Thank you Cebrion ! I live in Canada, and most amazon sellers will not ship here. The entries available to me start at 96$ + shipping, which I would never pay.

Thanks for recommending "Ivid". Looks splendid !

Is the city of Greyhawk box set the only ressource where the city was described in detailed or mapped ?
    CF Admin

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:46 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Additionally, Maldin's Greyhawk website has a wealth of fan-made material for Greyhawk, including maps of the city.

http://melkot.com/locations.html

Denis' map is definitely the way to go, and you can get a fair amount of city info/detail from the Greyhawk '98 product, The Adventure Begins (which is likely much cheaper to buy than the older boxed set).

In terms of other city sourcebooks that you might want to use to detail Greyhawk, I recommend:

- Lankhmar City of Adventure (TSR)
    - Thieves World (Chaosium, boxed set)
    - The Free City of Haven (plus supplements, by Gamelords; various Thieves Guild materials would also fit in nicely)
    - Cities, Tulan, Carse, Towns of the Outlands (Mikdemia Press but Cities, Tulan, and Carse were also reprinted by Chaosium)
    - Bard's Gate (Necromancer Games)
    - Marienburg and Warharmmer City (Games Workshop)
    - FR1 Waterdeep
    - Citybook series (Blade/Flying Buffalo)
    - "Barnacus: City in Peril" (Dragon Magazine #80)
    - Pavis and Big Rubble (Chaosium)
    - Irillian (White Dwarf 42-47)

Of those, probably Lankhmar, Cities or Thieves World, and Pavis would be my recommendations, along with Gary's Gord stories, too, of course: http://home.comcast.net/~chris.s/greyhawk.html#greyhawkcity

Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:29 pm  

Also if you want to start "abit smaller" than Greyhawk City, You could (with a bit of patchwork) use Hardby.
    Information can be found Wiki here
    A generous Background for the city, maps of the town, some major buildings and Plot hooks can be found Dungeon #109
    Lastly a "nice" GH map can be found from our cartographer Goddess here

DLG
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: