JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Paladin's Canon
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Paladin's Canon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:54 pm  
    Paladin's Canon

Please let me know if I missed in my search a good list of resources or examples inquired about below.

I am building a Paladin and am looking to build a decent canon.

I have fleshed out quite a bit of his stats, loadout and lengthy backstory but am grasping at straws with blunt fingertips for a narrowing of my options for a canon. I would like to actually write it up at length to refer to if there is any question as to how he would react should he be acting in line with his edicts, strictures etc.

I am looking for some guidance or possibly an example canon to review to see what others have done for structure and possibly content. His fealty will lie first in his religion and closely second in his patriotism.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Tower

Last edited by Tower31 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:59 pm  

This is what I have so far... thoughts?

In service to the throne, the Paladin will adhere to the following strictures at all times:

1. Demonstrate in all things Courtesy, Honesty, Valor, Honor and Humility.

2. Never retain wealth. Any excess wealth accrued beyond that which will fund the functions dictate by the throne to the Paladin must be returned to the throne by way of a depository or taxation official. Excess wealth may be determined after necessary portions are allocated to equipment purchasing and maintenance, proper grooming and self-care (including room and board) as it preserves the prestige of the throne and tithing as determined by the Paladin’s faith if any.

3. Denote allegiance to the throne with an inscription on at least one weapon carried. The inscription must read some variation or minor abridgment of “In service to the king"

4. When introducing himself, the Paladin will state his full name, city of training and “loyal servant to the king”.
    As an expression of faith in Saint Cuthbert, the Paladin chooses to perform the following edicts:

Prayer

1. For thanksgiving and blessing before each meal and before anticipated conflict.

2. Upon the completion of a significant task, the Paladin will perform aloud a unique and relevant three line verse in syllabic pattern: five/ three/ five.

3. Offering praise of a fallen comrade upon their internment or other ceremony.

Last edited by Tower31 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:28 am  

#4 seems counter to the concept of humility. Also, a failure to mention one's god before one's temporal ruler seems lacking in piety. Changing it to "I am INSERT NAME HERE, humble servant of St. Cuthbert, and the good folk of Keoland." would solve both issues, I think. It is not as grandiose, mind you, but the purpose seems to be better served. Wink

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:34 pm  

I like that very much. Thank you
    GreySage

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:27 pm  

If you enjoy rhyming, I think you'll enjoy making up appropriate verses during the course of the campaign very much. I'm sure your fellow players will enjoy hearing them, too. Smile

I hope you don't mean for the paladin to be required to introduce himself to every enemy he encounters. Espionage is perfectly honorable to most LG deities when it is deemed the most effective way to ensure the greatest good for the greatest number of goodly folk. Wink

SirXaris

P.S. I'd love to hear some of the verses you come up with during the course of play, too. Feel free to add them to this thread. (Note: Scroll to the top. I have no idea why the link is taking you to the middle of the thread. Confused )

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45357#45357

SX

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:37 pm  

haha the verses are not required to rhyme per se. On the other hand I am one to whip up a parody song or two if their is a song mentioned by a player or our DM. I'll make sure to post some of the good ones once I start running this guy. For now, I'm keeping him in the wings for the day when our LG player characters end up turning on my current LE character. The storm has already started and it's only a matter of time before they oust him or worse.

I'll see if my DM would be cool with sharing one of the parody songs I wrote when we were getting pinned by the necromancer at Bone Hill.

Tower
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: