JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sailing Rates
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Sailing Rates
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 09, 2015 4:02 pm  
    Sailing Rates

I am starting a new campaign over at myth-weavers.com, and my players are considering taking a ship to get from Keoland to Greyhawk by sea and the Selintan River. They are leaving in early Fireseek, when the winds I am told blow from the east. What kind of sailing rate can they expect?

For that matter, what kind of ships would merchants going from Keoland to Greyhawk use?
    GreySage

Sat May 09, 2015 6:14 pm  

You can use the boat rates from a variety of different sources.

1) The original Greyhawk boxed set has them included under its rates of movement for terrain, vehicles, and the like, within the Glossography, page 3.

2) The DMG has movement rates for boats and ships, as well.

3) The Wilderness Survival Guide is another.

The Player's Handbook is a good source, but it only gives descriptions instead of movement rates, but it could be helpful for what types of boats may be used.

-Lanthorn
    Master Greytalker

Mon May 11, 2015 7:50 pm  

Yes, you can use those tables. However, check out this resource.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Journals/TAPA/82/Speed_under_Sail_of_Ancient_Ships*.html

It's an excellent article about this very topic in the real world. I was starting to put together an article for Greyhawk, listing the total days for various journeys between ports just like this article did. I just haven't had time. Anyway, I thought it was very cool.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: