Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Fleshing Out Far Bank?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Fleshing Out Far Bank?
    Novice

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:50 am  
    Fleshing Out Far Bank?

Has anyone developed Far Bank, the location directly west from the city of Greyhawk across the Selintan river?

First background, then specific questions:

Module WGA3, "Flames of the Falcon" gives a very good reason why it hasn't been developed beyond the few shacks on the beach: the interior of the hillside is (or at least was) full of The Falcon's cohorts, derro, hook horrors, hetfish, and meenlocks. A vertical tunnel shaft has the possibility of introducing a path to the entire under-dark. So yes, that would present quite a deterrent.

Officially, I believe these tunnels were cleared, but it doesn't say how, or to what extent. At a bare minimum to satisfy canon, it would seem that The Falcon's cohorts would've been destroyed, as well as some number of derro to destabilize the community. "The Adventure Begins" states that there are rumors of "evil dwarves" nearby, possibly remnants of the derro.

However, I believe tat this area is ripe for development. If you look at the various canon maps from "Flames of the Falcon" and Maldin's maps (subsequently ahem, borrowed by I believe "Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk"), what's not to love (assuming out clear out the monsters and secure the area)?

Maldin's map quite correctly (IMO) has the four separate tunnels from the derro cave complex open into an abandoned warehouse, a sewer, and two taverns (presumably fronts for the Falcon, and subject to confiscation from the city and/or characters): R12 The Dogtail Inn (from return of the Eight?) and R13 The Maned Lady (not sure where? aspect of Ehlonna..?).

So questions:
    Fleshing out Far Bank
    Has anyone developed the area?
    After the events of Module WGA3, "Flames of the Falcon", and presumably they were solved by PC's, would Greyhawk allow this area to be developed?

The hill above Far Bank towers above the city of Greyhawk itself. Perhaps it's a security issue for the Oligarchy? But maybe having strong allies secure it at their own expense with a Greyhawk city "listening post" might be possible?

Anyone have any maps?
    In a pinch I've used the map of Daggerford from the Forgotten Realms setting (yes, blasphemy). With a bit of fudging, it actually fits. Well, with a few Move Earth spells, but yes, it actually fits. Just change the names a bit, and it works. I guessing at the number of years it would take to build such a place, but now that Wall of Stone became an "instantaneous" spells, not long at all.

In my campaign, It took a few years in campaign play, especially s the party often ran in to "permitting issues" hat were easily solved when the party id favors for the Directing Oligarchy.

It was a great way to drain both the City of Greyhawk's goodwill (both by introducing a competitor and absorbing the refugees) as well as the party's extra gold.

Any have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:05 am  

I can't imagine Greyhawk allowing any development of the far bank EXCEPT under their control... or at least under their TAXATION.

Having said that, one thing is historically clear. New development brings economic growth. And if those hills do, indeed, tower over the walls of Greyhawk, a defended outpost on the far bank makes perfect military sense as well.

Indeed, it makes one wonder why the city was built on the east bank instead of the west. Greyhawk would have been MUCH more defensible on the west bank, and wells could easily be dug in between the hills.

After all, Rome was built on a series of hills, primarily for defense....
    Novice

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:59 am  

Excellent points. The taxation is an 80/20 split, with the occasional "unsolvable problem" for the City solved by the party a few times a year as the cost of doing business.

Building the Daggerford-sized town was good way to drain the otherwise hoarding party of their cash and give the proper kick-backs and bribes to the city itself.

Anyone do any thing themselves?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: