JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Silent Ones
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
    Silent Ones
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:34 pm  
    Silent Ones

Anyone introduced any Silent One NPCs into their 5e campaign yet? I considered porting the Silent One prestige class into 5e as a separate class which Silent One NPCs could be multiclassed in, but now I'm considering just making it a Sorcerous Origin, which doesn't really fit the flavor of origins, but might be the easier way to do it. Any thoughts?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:34 pm  

Here's the prestige class if you're not familiar with it. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20060711a
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:11 pm  

I remember reading about them in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, though I can't check because I'm at work right now eating lunch. From the looks of it you could simply make it a variant of the Sage background in the 5e PHB, but make it a requirement to be an Arcane caster.

Skills: Arcana and History
    Languages: Ancient Suel

There's still one more language to learn or maybe you can swap it out for a Tool Proficiency like a Forger's Kit. One of the ways they could "hide" magic is to make forgeries of real knowledge and books they steal; then they forge a copy and turn magical knowledge into non-magical myths.

For the background ability you'd still benefit from the "Research" powers of the Sage. I have a low level Arcane Trickster who uses that power all of the time.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:00 am  

They just released prestige class rules as an Unearthed Arcana article: http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Rune_Magic_Prestige_Class.pdf
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:14 am  

I hated making the Silent Ones a sorcerer prestige class so I generally ignore it. It was part of 3e's attempt to be inclusive. They play quite a significant role in my campaign. It's fun to have a war with the Seekers bubbling behind the scenes of a lot of adventure threads.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:20 am  

Why not making it a sub-class of the Sorcerer?
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:45 pm  

For me, personally, because keepers of lore and hiders of secrets screams Wizard (and Lore Bard) so loudly my throat is sore. Innate magicians obsessed with the ancient lore and magical secrets of the Suel Imperium's archmages just doesn't ring true. It just feels wrong to me but to each their own.

For our part, agents of the Silent Ones can take the Criminal (spy) or Faction Agent background. We haven't found the need to specify anything beyond that. Other benefits of being involved the the Silent Ones can be conveyed through the story rather than mechanics.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:37 am  
    Re: Silent Ones

smillan_31 wrote:
    Anyone introduced any Silent One NPCs into their 5e campaign yet? I considered porting the Silent One prestige class into 5e as a separate class which Silent One NPCs could be multiclassed in, but now I'm considering just making it a Sorcerous Origin, which doesn't really fit the flavor of origins, but might be the easier way to do it. Any thoughts?

They have just made an appearance in my 5e Greyhawk campaign.
    I am running them as Sorcerers, based on the bloodline power idea. They are all pureblood Suel who can trace their ancestry to the Mages of Power. The more ways one person can trace ancestry to a MoP, the more likely they are of developing sorcerous powers, so the candidates for Silent Ones tend to be among the most inbred of the Neheli.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: