JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Kobold Press in Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Kobold Press in Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:45 pm  
    Kobold Press in Greyhawk

Hey everyone. This is my first post, aside from my introduction.

I really love the work of Wolfgang Baur and Kobold Press' Midgard Campaign Setting. It's not necessarily Greyhawk-ish, but I've found that a lot of the traits they've created translate very nicely into Greyhawk, specifically the Crossroads traits if used for the Domain of Greyhawk.

I've taken these and other aspects of the setting for use in my current online Greyhawk game.

Has anyone else out there done something similar with re-branding other setting material to fit into Greyhawk? What did you use?

Thanks!
    GreySage

Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:56 pm  

Well, it's probably a pretty common practice, but since I use the Pathfinder rules, I tend to import any setting-specific material from Pathfinder products over to my own Greyhawk campaign.

Golarian isn't a bad setting - in fact, it's pretty good, just like FR, DL, Dark Sun, and most of the other official settings - but my preference is Greyhawk and I don't want to spend the energy learning a new setting as well as I know Greyhawk.

I have also used stuff from novels, sci-fi, etc. to bring flavor to my own Greyhawk campaign.

SirXaris

Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:44 pm  

Thank you for your response!

No doubt it is a common practice. I've certainly done it before. I guess I should have stated I was looking for what specific material people deemed worthy enough to import.

My knowledge of Greyhawk is pretty low when it comes to anything outside of Principality of Ulek/Pomarj/Greyhawk area, but it was easy for me to recognize that something matched one of those places.

Can I ask what you might have brought over from Golarion? I'm not really familiar with the setting. Thanks again!
    GreySage

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:59 pm  

theDZA wrote:
    Can I ask what you might have brought over from Golarion? I'm not really familiar with the setting. Thanks again!

What's funny is that much of what is Greyhawk was transferred to Golarion, but given different names. Most of the top people at Paizo were Greyhawk fans before Paizo did Pathfinder with Golarion, so that is not surprising. (e.g. Liz Courts, Jason Buhlman, Eric Mona)

For example, The Whispering Tyrant is analytical to Vecna.

What I don't care for in Golarion is that each nation is very different from it's neighbors and is an extreme example of one particular culture. Greyhawk is more a mix of cultures, blended in interesting combinations. I can take some of the horror of Ustalav and incorporate it into any nation/location in the Flanaess without having to give the entire area over to gothic horror. One of the aspects I like the most is the idea of a crusade made up of adventurers of all nations against a demonic incursion like the Worldwound. The Chaos Scar might work well. Oops! Is that another example of Golarion stealing ideas from Greyhawk? Wink

SirXaris

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:51 pm  

I knew that Erik Mona was very active with Greyhawk and that Lisa Stevens was the brand manager for a while, but I guess I never thought that Greyhawk made it into Golarion.

I'll have to look up more about the Whispering Tyrant. I'm a fan of Vecna, and would like to see the connection.
    GreySage

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:43 am  

I thought Zobeck would work well as a basis for Hexpools. The only problem is that Hexpools is supposed to be the actual source of its river, so you'd have to shift things around a bit to use the map. But I like the idea of Hexpools having a large kobold population from the nearby Screaming Mines.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:04 pm  

If ever I play in Ahlissa (I'm not ashamed to admit I had to look up where Hexpools was located) I will certainly keep that in mind. I tend to stick with the areas I know, but I'm trying to change that with my current campaign.
    GreySage

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:21 am  

Lately I've been thinking that Innspa might be a better analog for Zobeck, since it's a free city and on a river rather than the source of it. It also has nearby mines if I recall correctly, and it's conveniently in the center of the eastern Flanaess between Almor, Nyrond, and Ahlissa.
    CF Admin

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:55 pm  

Some of the early Open Design projects included more overt Greyhawk references, in particular Empire of the Ghouls (a sequel of sorts to Dungeon #70's "Kingdom of the Ghouls"), and material from Castle Shadowcrag would work nicely in a Greyhawk-themed plane of shadow.

I provided Maldin with some details about EotG, which he incorporated into his UnderOerth maps @ http://melkot.com/locations/underdark/underdark.html

I don't recall which, but I thought that one of the 4e-era Open Design projects had a strong Slavic flavor, which I always thought would fit well in/around the Burneal Forest.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:42 pm  

Tales of the Old Margreve? It was meant to have a Slavic feel - the Burneal would definitely be a good fit.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: