JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Minor Globe of Invulnerability
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Minor Globe of Invulnerability
    GreySage

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:23 am  
    Minor Globe of Invulnerability

It seems my 'rules' questions are never-ending.

This one regards the 4th level wizard spell, Minor Globe of Invulnerability. Here are my queries:

1) If the mage who erects the Minor Globe then casts other (1st-3rd lvl) spells (such as Shield, Mirror Image, Detection spells, etc) inside the protective sphere, then leaves the Minor Globe, only later to re-enter it (to benefit from its protective effects) will these lesser spells be removed upon penetrating the protective barrier?

2a)Can 'friends' standing next to the mage inside the erected Globe cast spells outside it, just like the wizard who erected it? Or are they blocked?

2b)If they aren't blocked (like the caster), can these 'friends' leave the Globe, just like the mage, and re-enter it without losing their precast spells?

3) If a Dispel Magic is used to destroy the Globe, will pre-erected magical effects remain effectively immune to Dispellation if they occur within the Globe itself? In essence, is the Dispel Magic 'used' to neutralize the Minor Globe (after all the Globe neutralizes all 1st-3rd lvl spells, and the Dispel Magic is, itself, a 3rd lvl spell for both priests and mages)?

4) Are all 1st through 3rd lvl spells, regardless of duration or area of effect, temporarily neutralized upon passing through the Minor Globe? This includes such spells as Strength, Detection spells, Prayer, various Protections, etc., so long as they are 1st through 3rd level?

If I have any other questions, I will add them to the list. Thank you for your answers. I appreciate it.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun May 01, 2016 10:17 pm  
    Re: Minor Globe of Invulnerability

Lanthorn wrote:
    It seems my 'rules' questions are never-ending.

This one regards the 4th level wizard spell, Minor Globe of Invulnerability. Here are my queries:

1) If the mage who erects the Minor Globe then casts other (1st-3rd lvl) spells (such as Shield, Mirror Image, Detection spells, etc) inside the protective sphere, then leaves the Minor Globe, only later to re-enter it (to benefit from its protective effects) will these lesser spells be removed upon penetrating the protective barrier?

No, because..."The caster can leave and enter the glove without penalty".

2a)Can 'friends' standing next to the mage inside the erected Globe cast spells outside it, just like the wizard who erected it? Or are they blocked?

Yes.

2b)If they aren't blocked (like the caster), can these 'friends' leave the Globe, just like the mage, and re-enter it without losing their precast spells?

No, because they are not the caster (see the answer to question one above). Spells with durations are not nullified though, and are only suppressed until the person leaves the globe or the globe duration ends.

3) If a Dispel Magic is used to destroy the Globe, will pre-erected magical effects remain effectively immune to Dispellation if they occur within the Globe itself? In essence, is the Dispel Magic 'used' to neutralize the Minor Globe (after all the Globe neutralizes all 1st-3rd lvl spells, and the Dispel Magic is, itself, a 3rd lvl spell for both priests and mages)?

No. Dispel magic targets EVERY magical effect (including potions) within its area of effect, of which the globe is one.

4) Are all 1st through 3rd lvl spells, regardless of duration or area of effect, temporarily neutralized upon passing through the Minor Globe? This includes such spells as Strength, Detection spells, Prayer, various Protections, etc., so long as they are 1st through 3rd level?

If you mean, does an enemy with those effects upon him lose them if he enters the globe to attack the caster/others? Yes, such effects are suppressed while within the globe. The globe also creates a "dead zone" within a larger area of effect for magic that has a larger area of effect. A 1st-3rd level spell that passes through or is cast into the area of the globe is nullified. For instance, melf's acid arrow cast at a target within or on the other side of the globe will be neutralized, whereas a fireball targeted at a point outside the globe, but not on the other side of it such that the streaking spark would have to pass through the globe to get to its detonation point, will explode and damage everything in its area of effect, but touch nothing with the globe. An area of darkness will have a globe-sized hole in it, and so on. Characters within the globe can cast the spells you mentioned upon themselves while within the globe, and those effects will remain active while they remain within the globe, but if they are not the caster of the globe and they leave and return to the globe, those effects will then be temporarily suppressed as usual.

Wed May 04, 2016 3:40 pm  

I very much appreciate your input, Cebrion. If I have any more annoying questions, you can bet your bottom copper that I'll inquire!

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome from other posters, of course.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: