JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Complete Arcane Greyhawk tidbits
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Complete Arcane Greyhawk tidbits
    CF Admin

Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:44 pm  
    Complete Arcane Greyhawk tidbits

Purchasing the Complete Arcane I was pleased to see not only a PrC; the Suel Arcanamach, a mage slayer and bodygaurd of the Suel Mages of Power, but Tarth Moorda.
    Tarth Moorda is set in the Abbor-Alz once used by the garrisons of Urnst, but Duke Karl 15 years ago gave the fortress over to the Order of the Fire Hawk, a society of warmages who desired an isolated stronghold to train their initiates. The text mentions Rary and Urnst as well as a full page map highlighting the warmage class recently introduced in the Miniatures Handbook.
    All in all a nice surprise to see GH getting a share of text in a class book without sacrificing or rewritting previous details.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:07 am  
    Re: Complete Arcane Greyhawk tidbits

Dethand wrote:
    Purchasing the Complete Arcane I was pleased to see not only a PrC; the Suel Arcanamach, a mage slayer and bodygaurd of the Suel Mages of Power, but Tarth Moorda.
    Tarth Moorda is set in the Abbor-Alz once used by the garrisons of Urnst, but Duke Karl 15 years ago gave the fortress over to the Order of the Fire Hawk, a society of warmages who desired an isolated stronghold to train their initiates. The text mentions Rary and Urnst as well as a full page map highlighting the warmage class recently introduced in the Miniatures Handbook.
    All in all a nice surprise to see GH getting a share of text in a class book without sacrificing or rewritting previous details.

There are referances that also through back to Return to the Tomb of Horrors. I don't have my book in front of me, but the feat that refers to Moil is one of those. I thought I saw more. All in all, I really like the book.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:27 am  

I would like to give this book a big "thumbs up," as well. There are Greyhawk goodies scattered throughout the entirety of the book.

I was struck by the discussion of Boccob vs WeeJas as gods of magic, and pleased that The Complete Arcane is in some accord with my own opinion that WeeJas need not take a back seat to Boccob.

IMO, WeeJas is a full fledged deity of magic and not merely a proponent of "creating items or spells" or "using items or spells." WeeJas was THE Suel deity of magic thousands of years before anyone ever heard of Nerull or Boccob ascended. To favor Boccob so unnecessarily smacks of the misogynist. And, as noted, Mr. Uncaring is going to have a lot fewer worshippers that WeeJas just because he is so indifferent.

In any case, this is a great "Greyhawk" book.

GVD

Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:12 pm  

WotC definitely was in top form with Complete Arcane , and the old rumour mill has equally good things to say about Complete Adventurer.
    Since Greyhawk seems to be, at least a little bit, on the minds of the Wizards' design team, one begins to wonder and hope .......

"The trees are our ancestors."----Otto Von Bismark
    Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:23 pm  

Seems the comlete series is getting progressively more adept at inserting GH material. Good deal, I was not sure if I wanted this one or not.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:29 pm  
    Tarth Moorda

Better yet, the Web Enhancement for Complete Arcane has a complete writeup on Tarth Moorda and the Order of the Fire Hawks.

Here's a handy link. Enjoy!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20041119a

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:54 am  

The "complete" series had been rather good. A good topic for the Complete Adventurer would be one the most famous/infamous and appropriate guilds in all of RPG-land. That would be the Greyhawk Thieves' Guild of course. The Greyhawk Assassins' Guild would be a good choice as well.

The Complete Arcane turned out to be what I expected it to be. Tweeked prestige classes, new prestige classes, some feats, and a nice grouping of additional spells that flesh out some of the schools that are light in that department at certain levels. Plus some new variant base arcane magic-using classes to boot. And of course there is a good smattering of Greyhawk related material in it also. Not bad at all. It is worth the money.

I am intersted to see what treatment thieves and especially bards will get in the Complete Adventurer. I'd like to see another throwback version of the bard, similar to the 1e version in feel, other than what has been posted here at Canonfire(where many a looney bard fanatic lurks). Hopefully the book will not contain an overly large section of weird/goofy thieving equiptment. If they stay to the basic stuff and some exotic equiptment then that should suffice. I'd rather see a GH guild presented as a model for developing your own thieves' guild, plus prestige classes(the thief-acrobat is a must). Plus I'd like to see a few feats, particularly some that are class specific(for example the "Hand of Death- This feat is taught only within the organization of an assassin's guild. To teach this technique to an outsider is a death wish.). The bardic colleges/instruments will hopefully make a return. Perhaps the colleges will make up a prestige class or variant bard class in itself.

I can see why they saved The Complete Adventurer for last. I think it will be the most difficult to write well. I also think more people will have a stonger opinion of this book than the others. Either they will like it or hate it.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: