JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hexblade and Warlock
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Hexblade and Warlock
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:46 am  
    Hexblade and Warlock

This is somewhat off topic but here goes.

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the use as a PC class of:

(1) Hexblades from the Complete Warrior?

and

(2) Warlocks from the Complete Arcane?

I am, necessarily as I do not play or run anything but Greyhawk, thinking of allowing these in my Greyhawk campaign but I am concerned that they may be potential trouble, particularly the Warlock from the Complete Arcane. Both are so new that I have only little evidence from personal experimentation. If anyone has thoughts or experience with either, I would love to hear about it. My concern is more mechanical than fitting them within GH.

GVD

Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:09 am  

I haven't got the Complete Arcane yet but I have also been wondering about how the Hexblade might fit in to Greyhawk. The first thing that came to mind was that they seemed like quite a Suloise thing to me. I don't mean a part of the Scarlet Brotherhood though. They just seem to have a Suloise feel.

The other thing that came to mind was linking them somehow to Hextor - i think the connection in my mind is as lame as HEXtor HEXblade...crap I know..sorry...but a competitve order like the Hexblade type seems to fit. However I seem to remember that Hexblades aren't always evil...so maybe it's simply a case that Hexblades might often choose Hextor as an ally or patron.

Wee Jass is another good choice for a religious connection if you are looking for one.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:16 am  

The inclusion of Hexblade in my campaign made it easier on the players that previously tried to juggle the fighter/sorcerer multiclass.
    And Wolling, you are right, they just cannot be good. True Neutral Hexblade worshipping Hextor might work, but Boccob might be better.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:41 pm  

My wife played a half-elf Hexbalde in a couple of playtest adventures that I ran for adventures set in the WoG. I think the hexblade class is pretty decent, and can fit well into the WoG... I have not had CA very long, and nobody has played a Warlock yet... but it seems like a fine class, and I was thinking about making one of the villians in my monday night game a Warlock.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:03 pm  

Í can't say about the warlock, but I like the Hexblade (though IMHO it needs some tweaking) and while I consider them a rare class in Greyhawk, they can be an excellent hook to Ralishaz. The god of misfortune could have inspired the first hexblaade and then it spread. Even if a hexblade does not worship Ralishaz, his curses and aura of unluck can do a lot on the god's name.

Victor Caminha
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:06 pm  
    Re: Hexblade and Warlock

GVDammerung wrote:
    This is somewhat off topic but here goes.

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the use as a PC class of:

(1) Hexblades from the Complete Warrior?

and

(2) Warlocks from the Complete Arcane?

GVD

Complete Arcane was just released, so I don't think people will have much on-hands experience with Warlocks yet (the author and playtesters aside, of course!)

Reading the class over, it seems to me to be the first real new class in the series; the others from the Complete Arcaneand the other two Complete books didn't really jump out at me as being something you can't make work by multi-classing.

As for thoughts, I would think Warlocks would make great villians, especially Half-Fiend ones. Since they can't cast real spells, there aren't to many traditional WoG NPCs that would automatically fit as true Warlocks, although I can see many NPC wizards with a level or three in the class! Those Eldritch Blasts are nasty!

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:26 pm  
    Myrmidon

I have read the class, and was not overly impressed. Actually the Complete Warrior as a whole was, well... buy it if you like it.

I am using AEG's Merceneries, and have found the Myrmidon class to be a hit, and not out of line. If you do not wish to purchase the volume, this class can be downloaded from their web site. It was not written Greyhawk specific, but it may fill this niche for you.

I realize that many of you stick with WOTC products, but we really enjoyed this class. I should note, though, that there are about 15 myrmidon only spells in the Merc's book that are useful.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: