Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Comments on Vecna:Hand of the Revenant.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Comments on Vecna:Hand of the Revenant.
    CF Admin

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:29 am  
    Comments on Vecna:Hand of the Revenant.

Hey, all.

I imagine most of you have seen or read the post regarding Iron Hammer's Vecna: Hand of the Revenant (V:HotR) at the WotC GH board (if not, check it out HERE). It's a good discussion.

Assuming one were to use some elements of Vecna's story as presented in V:HotR, who are the people of Fleeth? I know the notion of Fleeth itself is not a serious possibility in the Flanaess. But, whatever we name the city of Vecna's origin, who were they? I imagine they are other human Flannae. Because there are no other humans in the Flanaess yet, right?

So, Vecna destroys the human city of his origins - whether we call it Fleeth or something else. Thus exacting revenge on those who slew his mother. Is Pelor a better fit then Pholtus for these people, if we are talking about Flannae? During the Ritual of Light, does it make more sense for the priests to be Pelorians instead?

Just a couple of thoughts and questions. What do you guys think, huh?

Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:34 pm  
    Re: Comments on Vecna:Hand of the Revenant.

Greyson wrote:
    I know the notion of Fleeth itself is not a serious possibility in the Flanaess.

Why`s that?
    CF Admin

Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:29 pm  

I enjoyed the graphic novel myself, and although it has it problems fitting in 'canon' per se it still is a worthy read. Tovag Baragu, the Serpent, Ur-Flan, Acererak and of course Pholtus as the deity of choice in the story makes for a good GH setting.

Fleeth however can be either a ruin or destroyed city it really doesnt matter, as Kas beheaded all the people of Fleeth after carving the Sacrifice in the Temple of Blinding Light at the end of the story. Some major departures to me at least, are the loss of Vecna's hand and eye from the holy spell of Pholtus. I was under the impression that Kas did that, but in either case its good use of background.

I think it was a good project, but I hear that its kaput and basically at an end, perhaps someday we will see more of that writers veiw of Vecna.

Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:31 pm  
    Shiboleth

I noted that Fleeth is not a serious possibility because I've never heard of it outside of Vecna: Hand of the Revenant. But I will definitely accept Fleeth as a former city in the Flanaess if everyone else does.

Is it possible that modern Shiboleth is built on the ruins of ancient Fleeth?

And who were the inhabitants of Fleeth? Flannae? Should Pelor have been the patron of those people instead of Pholtus?

By the way, I absolutely enjoyed Vecna: Hand of the Revenant! It's a freaking shame there were not more after Blood and Fire.

Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:40 pm  

Greyson posted:
    Quote:

that would be as good of a guess as any ones and sounds good to me. Smile

Greyson also posted:
    Quote:
    And who were the inhabitants of Fleeth? Flannae? Should Pelor have been the patron of those people instead of Pholtus?

Its quite possible that they could have been either Flan or Oeridian, but thats a judgement call on interpretation since few game facts were included. A real shame on that. As for Pelor instead of Pholtus, I feel the portrayed Pholtus quite well and think that the almost stubborn preists fill the role of the lawful blinding god quite well...if you recall the panels near the end after the ritual was complete, all the preists were blindfolded.
    Just a few thoughts.

Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:40 am  
    Re: Shiboleth

Greyson wrote:
    I noted that Fleeth is not a serious possibility because I've never heard of it outside of Vecna: Hand of the Revenant. But I will definitely accept Fleeth as a former city in the Flanaess if everyone else does.

By the way, I absolutely enjoyed Vecna: Hand of the Revenant! It's a freaking shame there were not more after Blood and Fire.

The History of the Siege of Fleeth is described in the Chronicle of Secret Times by Uhas of Neheli in the introduction of Vecna Lives! (and also mentioned in the 1E DMG i believe.) It is a bit different than in the comic though...

I`d have the inhabitants of Fleeth as Oeridians, as they woship Pholtus. In the flashback young vecna and his mother are clearly flan and outcasts/slaves in the city. I`m not sure how this fits with the cultural earth parallels of teh oeridians.
    CF Admin

Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:00 pm  

I like the idea of merging Fleeth from V:HotR and the Lost City of Gaxmoor from Troll Lord Games---for the original GH background on that city, see the Archives at http://www.greycitadel.com/greycitadel/greytalk.nsf/%5Cgreycitadel/Greytalk.nsf/SearchResults/EF177BF231169CF1852569A60002F393?OpenDocument

Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:02 pm  

grodog wrote:
    I like the idea of merging Fleeth from V:HotR and the Lost City of Gaxmoor from Troll Lord Games.
    Did Troll Lord Games ever release the Gaxmoor product? I could not find it in their catalog.

Okay, if most are leaning at retaining the inhabitants of Fleeth as Oeridians and Pholtans, are they Aerdy? Can they be some other pre-Great Migration tribe?

You're right, Randy. I didn't notice those Pholtan priests were wearing white blindfolds until you pointed that out. Very cool - nice touch.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:07 pm  

Greyson wrote:
    grodog wrote:
    I like the idea of merging Fleeth from V:HotR and the Lost City of Gaxmoor from Troll Lord Games.
    Did Troll Lord Games ever release the Gaxmoor product? I could not find it in their catalog.

Yep, it was released, and IIRC it's on their liquidation list (since it's 3.0); details at http://www.trolllord.com/gaxmoor.htm

I'd call or post on their boards at http://pub83.ezboard.com/btrolllordgames before ordering, since I think they had some sort of special going (though it may have expired, of course).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: