JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Spell effects on Outer Planes creatures
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Spell effects on Outer Planes creatures
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:16 pm  
    Spell effects on Outer Planes creatures

I was wondering what the general consensus is on certain spells being able to affect creatures from the Outer Planes. Of course any spell would have to get through the creature's magic resistance first if they possess resistance. I'm specifically asking about spells that cause internal damage such as Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting for instance. Against normal creatures the spell evaporates moisture from bodies causing massive damage. Would that spell or a similar spell cause damage to a Demon, Devil, or other highly magical creature from the Outer Planes?
    GreySage

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:28 pm  

Firstly, you are correct that magic resistance must be overcome from the onset against such a creature.

Secondly, most spells will state what creatures cannot be affected within the description. For instance, healing spells have NO effect on undead, and the same is true of most charming spells. I would rule that unless the spell states otherwise...or the description of the creature states otherwise...that spells operate against them.

There is also a listing of spell effect immunities within the general descriptions of fiends. Some fiends are totally immune to certain types of magical effects, or only partly affected by them. Look to the list of your fiends for this.

If you don't have 'said list' let me know, and I will share it with you.

FYI, as an aside about your Horrid Wilting spell question, I would imagine if there is any moisture in the creature's body to be impacted (blood, ichor, juices, etc.) then the spell DOES work. This includes fiends.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:18 am  
    Re: Spell effects on Outer Planes creatures

xo42 wrote:
    I was wondering what the general consensus is on certain spells being able to affect creatures from the Outer Planes. Of course any spell would have to get through the creature's magic resistance first if they possess resistance. I'm specifically asking about spells that cause internal damage such as Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting for instance. Against normal creatures the spell evaporates moisture from bodies causing massive damage. Would that spell or a similar spell cause damage to a Demon, Devil, or other highly magical creature from the Outer Planes?

Yes, as it does not qualify as any of the listed forms of damage that demons, devils, or other creatures have resistance or immunity to. That being said, consider what the spell does and apply it accordingly, depending on the creature. For instance, the spell should do nothing to a fire elemental or modron, as they have no moisture to evaporate, and so it would have all of the efficacy of destroy undead spell being used on a marmoset. Laughing This spell should do nothing to most anything unliving, such as constructs or skeletal undead (including mummies). Most supernatural creatures have fluids and structure to them. It is just "exotic" fluid and structure, but that may only grant them a measure of resistance to such magical effects (i.e. magic resistance) rather than immunity. In (A)D&D, demons and such creatures are not immaterial spirits capable of manifesting pseudo-corporeal forms, but have actual physical forms, and so effects that affect physical forms can affect them.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:09 am  

Thanks Lanthorn and Cebrion! I was thinking along the same lines as you both, but wanted to hear some other opinions. I knew that spell didn't fit with the already listed Demon/Devil immunities and since they have internal fluids, ichors, etc., I think it (or similar spells) would work against them. Naturally it would have no impact on other creatures without similar internal organs, fluids, or similar structures though.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: