Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Who owns the rights to Oerth Journal articles?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Who owns the rights to Oerth Journal articles?
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:31 am  
    Who owns the rights to Oerth Journal articles?

Several years ago I wrote an article for Oerth Journal which was published in the on-line magazine. Who owns the rights to the article content? Can I legally re-use my article concepts for another publication that is not Greyhawk related, excluding artwork of coarse?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:42 pm  

The link from Canonfire! is broken to the Oerth Journals, but I found this on the Table of Contents page in the Canonfire! Chronicles.

"Text portions not belonging specifically to other owners are copyright to their respective authors."

This is as I remembered it, but I wanted to provide proof, not speculation. Wink

SirXaris

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:09 pm  

Which means if I reuse my article material for another D&D publication I am in the clear legally. Yes?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:24 pm  

From page 1 in Oerth Journal 1

"ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, AD&D, GREYHAWK and WORLD OF GREYHAWK are registered trademarks owned by TSR, Inc. All TSR characters, character names, and the distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks owned by TSR, Inc. The Oerth Journal is made available to users of America Online, Genie or MPGNet (or other electronic retrieval systems later sanctioned by TSR, Inc.). Please do not upload this file to any other BBS, FTP site or any other form of electronic media. Any reproduction or transmission of this material without the expressed consent of TSR, Inc. and the authors of the work is a violation of copyright law. Unless otherwise noted, all individual contributions copyright their respective authors."

From page 3, in Oerth Journal 25:

"DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, DRAGON, DUNGEON, GREYHAWK, and the WORLD OF GREYHAWK are registered trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast/ Hasbro. All characters, character names, and the distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc. Text portions not belonging specifically to other owners are copyright to their respective authors. Permission is granted to copy and paste the text portions for game use only. No other use is implied or granted by this posting. For any other use, please contact the publisher."

Sergio :-)
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:57 pm  

I have plans to publish my world through the 5th edition open game license. I just wanted to make certain that my article concept is free for me to use. Im not making a greyhawk product, nor is there any mention or tie to greyhawk.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:54 pm  

As an editor of the Oerth Journal, I have always known it to be the author owns the material of the article. Whereas WOTC/ Hasbro owns any specific names contained in the Greyhawk IP.
    http://www.oerthjournal.com http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:09 pm  

Thank you vverry much, thst was the answer I was hoping gor.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:01 am  

All of the above is absolutely correct.
    Having dealt with kind of thing for years as a professional artist, there's only one proviso that I would add ...
    You absolutely own everything that you've written , in this case. But, you've also granted permission to the Oerth Journal to reprint and reproduce your work. So, in the event that your published world takes off and does well, the OJ won't be violating anything, either.

Because, you know, people are jerks, and try to go back and say stuff like that, after consent had been given. We had that happen here before, someone came back and tried to say we couldn't have stuff up from years ago ... so, if anything tries to tell you that, just tell them they're dumb, and that you already granted that permission. :) <3

And, BTW, you have done amazing stuff for years, Eileen. The archives and whatnot is always dotted with your stuff, and I love suggestions you make in threads all the time. I'm certain that anything published will be great material.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:59 am  

Since people are actually responding here, are there current and working links to the Journals? All of them?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 am  

heychadwick wrote:
    Since people are actually responding here, are there current and working links to the Journals? All of them?

https://archive.org/search.php?query=oerth%20journal

CF Admin

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:00 pm  

This is what I have on my Greyhawk Links page: http://web.archive.org/web/20150702123350/http://oerthjournal-canonfirechronicles.blogspot.com/p/oerth-journal-downloads.html

Allan.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:24 pm  

That works! Thanks!
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:43 pm  

EileenProphetofIstus wrote:
    I have plans to publish my world through the 5th edition open game license. I just wanted to make certain that my article concept is free for me to use. Im not making a greyhawk product, nor is there any mention or tie to greyhawk.

I'm no lawyer, but I would caution you that:

1) If you're using the OGL, you can't use any trademarked terms owned by anyone else (like Oerth, Iuz, etc.). So you'll need to scrub everything.

2) If you're planning on publishing on DM's Guild, you can't publish a campaign setting other than Forgotten Realms or Ravenloft.

Hope that helps!

Joe / GG
    Master Greytalker

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:53 pm  

Its strictly homebrew material with no affiliation to WOTC terms. I made up a dragon kingdoms article for the Oerth Journal. I now am designing my own world and took the concept of a dragon kingdom and put it in my world. There is no reference to Oerth, Greyhawk etc. It will be compliant with the 5th edition open game license. My publisher will make sure its strictly followed.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:18 am  

Best of luck to you in your publishing venture EPoI! Happy

Also, The Oerth Journal links are some of the first that I updated when the dropbox fiasco hit, and have always been available HERE.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:18 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Best of luck to you in your publishing venture EPoI! Happy

Also, The Oerth Journal links are some of the first that I updated when the dropbox fiasco hit, and have always been available HERE.

Probaly you need to update the link in "Features" section (below Greyhawk Wiki coat) too. Now it point to:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2

And, in this page, links are to (for example):

http://www.oerthjournal.com/oerthjournals/OJ_19pf.pdf

And it dont work.

Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:22 am  

I have been aware of those (and other) broken links since the CF! webpage address format changed from "/cf/" to "/cf/", but I only have permissions to modify various site modules. These include Downloads, Encyclopedia, FAQ, Forums, News, Reviews, Surveys/Polls, Topics, Links (most of these are accessible via the top navigation bar, though even within these areas I am unable to modify things created by someone with a higher permission), and member accounts. Unfortunately the sidebar areas are not in my sphere of control, nor is the registration area, otherwise any broken links in these areas would have been updated long ago. The issue was brought to the appropriate person's attention a while back. The Articles section is currently getting some attention, but otherwise any correspondence regarding broken links can be posted in the Help & Feedback forum, PM'd directly to PSmedger or myself, or sent HERE.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:20 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    I have been aware of those (and other) broken links since the CF! webpage address format changed from "/cf/" to "/cf/", but I only have permissions to modify various site modules.

Thanks!

Adept Greytalker

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:02 pm  

Late to the party, but yes, you own your article except for the Greyhawk-specific bits. I've probably got the legalese somewhere on my hard drive, but that's it in a nutshell.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: