JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Rod of Seven Parts
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Rod of Seven Parts
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:36 am  
    Rod of Seven Parts

Hello everyone! Its been years since I was on these forums! I am back running a regular group and I am interested in any Canon and good Non-Canon references to the Rod of Seven Parts! I have the boxed adventure, but I don't have access to it right now. I searched the forums but came up dry. Any references would be greatly appreciated.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:54 am  

Rod of Seven Parts [ITM]
    DMG1 - 124,160,161
    DRG#230 - 13
    DRG#233 - 92,93
    DRG#294 - 92
    DRG#299 - 101,103
    EW - 42
    GreySage

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:40 am  

According to From the Ashes Campaign Book, page 37, one of the segments of the Rod of Seven Parts can be found within the Eternal Storm of the Wind Dukes in the Abbor-Alz.

There's a portal in the Whispering Cairn near Diamond Lake (detailed in Dungeon #124), the Black Seal, which leads to the tomb of the Wind Duke Icosiol near White Plume Mountain (this tomb is detailed in Dungeon #129). One of the segments of the Rod of Seven Parts can be found in Icosiol's tomb.

Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss mentions that the Plains of Pesh were in the shadow of White Plume Mountain, which implies the final battle between the Wind Dukes of Aaqa and the armies of the Queen of Chaos created the rift.

In Dungeon #130, it's said a pit fiend called Visciannix has gained possession of one of the fragments of the Rod, and his agents ambush the PCs after they gain the fragment from Icosiol's tomb.

The article "Game Wizards: The Rod of Seven Parts" in Dragon #233 has suggestions for placing the scenarios in the Rod of Seven Parts boxed set on Oerth (and other TSR worlds). There's not a lot to go on here, but the pocket dimension containing the sixth segment of the Rod is located within the ruins of a temple to an evil god. Dragon #233 suggests it might have been a temple of Nerull in "any city but Greyhawk. Somewhere in the Great Kingdom would be most appropriate." I think the Haunts neighborhood in Eastfair would be perfect, with the backstory that locals think the temple was destroyed by devils in the service of Hextor (Rod of Seven Parts just says "a rival deity.")

The gate to Pandemonium in the last chapter of Rod of Seven Parts is at least 500 miles from the temple. Dragon #233 suggests Castle Greyhawk or the Valley of the Mage as good places to put the gate. This might be a good place to use the Eternal Storm of the Wind Dukes, though: if a gateway to Pandemonium is in the center it would certainly explain why there's a permanent windstorm and manifestations of chaos.

Some associate Lake Aqal in the Fellreev (Iuz the Evil, page 27) with the Vale of Aaqa, though I think Iuz the Evil implies they're different places when it says islands there are home to "a group of very seclusive and ancient wizards as powerful as the Wind Dukes of Aqaa." If you use The Mahasarpa Campaign web enhancement, the Vale of Aaqa was placed in that land (which I associate with the peninsula south of Zahind/Zindia south of the Flanaess).
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:04 am  

I missed the rod ref in fta though i have wind dukes gate
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:45 pm  

Wow! Thanks!
    CF Admin

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:17 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    According to From the Ashes Campaign Book, page 37, one of the segments of the Rod of Seven Parts can be found within the Eternal Storm of the Wind Dukes in the Abbor-Alz.

This may be a reference to the "Finger of the Wind" tourney, perhaps; or, more likely, the tourney build upon this FtA reference: http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_tourneys_finger_of_the_wind.html

Allan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: