Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Mad God's Key (possible spoilers)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Mad God's Key (possible spoilers)
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:11 am  
    The Mad God's Key (possible spoilers)

So, after a 10 year or so hiatus, I recently started playing again (3.5--I didn't want to buy a bunch of new books), and I've been running this adventure.

For those of you who've ran it, there's a couple things that have been annoying me, so I'd like to see what solutions and work-arounds, if any, others implemented.

1. The Green Daggers are trying to build enough of a rep to "make a bid" with the Guild of Thieves. This seems kind of silly. "We thought we'd horn in on your action so you'd notice us" seems more likely to end in severe pain than a job offer, IMO. I'm going to assume that Cyrathas's (and not the author's) strategy just wasn't that well thought-out. If any of the gang survives, I plan for the Guild to implement a "hostile takeover" and confiscate/liquidate any remaining GD assets, possibly redistributing a cut to the PCs.

2. The book stolen from the library apparently has no title. Now, I realize the book is locked shut and the title might not be written on the cover, but you'd think the librarians would have access to a few sages/diviners to make an educated guess, or at least have given it a name or number for cataloging purposes. Given its subject matter (the creation of undead) & the religious affiliation of the book thieves (Vecnan cultists), I'm planning to reveal it to be a copy of Vecna's early work, Ordinary Necromancy.

So, how'd you guys deal?
    GreySage

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:42 pm  

In my game -- and the story I posted to CF -- Cyrathas and the Green Daggers survive, since the module -- "The Mad God's Key" -- doesn't show them not surviving.

As for the book, I leave the title a mystery -- as is the content -- but I ascribe authorship of the book to Zagig Yragerne. According to the module's beginning, no scholars or sages have been able to access the book to determine its subject matter, or its nature. Thus the search for Zagig's key, which is capable of opening any lock.

This assignment of authorship is based upon the (possibly erroneous) conclusion that most come to based upon the theft of both objects: The one is definitely known to have belonged to Zagig Yragerne, thus . . .

The subject matter and religious association revealed by the opening of the book at the conclusion of the adventure makes for "wondrous astonishment" by the Librarians after the adventurers return the -- now open -- book to the Great Library.

Setting up for the next adventure; "Key to the Grave." One day, I'll get around to finishing the story. Laughing

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:25 pm  
    Re: The Mad God's Key (possible spoilers)

Robbastard wrote:
    So, after a 10 year or so hiatus, I recently started playing again (3.5--I didn't want to buy a bunch of new books), and I've been running this adventure.

Very cool, Rob!---you planning to resurrect your old web site too, by chance?

Allan.

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:26 pm  

grodog wrote:
    Robbastard wrote:

Very cool, Rob!---you planning to resurrect your old web site too, by chance?

Allan.

I have somewhat--work did away with free "personal" pages, so I've moved some of the stuff to a wiki. I eventually hope to transfer more to it. Glad someone remembers. :)
    https://bstard-greyhawk.fandom.com/wiki/B*stard_Greyhawk_Wiki
    CF Admin

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:13 pm  

Robbastard wrote:

I have somewhat--work did away with free "personal" pages, so I've moved some of the stuff to a wiki. I eventually hope to transfer more to it. Glad someone remembers. :)
    https://bstard-greyhawk.fandom.com/wiki/B*stard_Greyhawk_Wiki

If you're looking for permanent hosting, I'm sure we could make room for you on GreyhawkOnline---the admin team has pulled in Jason Zavoda's index, the Oerth Journal, Chris Siren's Gord's Greyhawk site, the Great Library of GH wiki, etc., etc.

Allan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: