Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - Breeds and Varieties of Animals
Breeds and Varieties of Animals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A-Baneful-Backfire
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Breeds and Varieties of Animals Reply with quote

What are the noteworthy breeds of domesticated animals in the Flanaess that have been mentioned in published sources?

I am trying to flesh out mundane animals for a little more flavor to my campaign. I am focusing on breeds of animals – not monsters. The sort of creatures that might be available for purchase or use by the players.

Here is what I have found so far:

Brazen Horde Horse – “In addition, they had an even finer stock of horse – swifter, stronger, and no less enduring.” Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, page 84.

Blackfair Warhorses - City of Greyhawk Boxed Set, Gem of the Flanaess, page 32.

Chendl Watch Leopards - “At night, three watch-leopards are set loose in the grounds...” of the palace in Chendl. “These leopards are trained to attack any intruders...” Fate of Istus, page 90.

Greyhawk - “...Small, grey hawks which populate the region.”

Silverhounds – City of Greyhawk Boxed Set, Gem of the Flanaess, page 60.

Paynim Horse – Identified in the comparison with the horses of the Brazen Horde.

Barbarian War Ox – “Riding on beasts ranging from horses to musk oxen, the barbarians approach...” Howl From the North, page 42.

A related question is:

What breeds, subspecies or varieties of animals, wild or domestic, can be inferred from what has been published?

Just descriptive distinctions, not on trying to create a completely new stat block. Here are just a couple of thoughts based on coats of arms:

Celadon Forest Bear – inferred from the arms of the Duchy of Urnst.
Red Barrens Horse – from the Rover arms.
[/b]
Crag
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iuz the Evil: Great Oxen of Tenha; pull a plow, two days without rest, incredible stamina, also adapted to colder climes. Prized by the men of stonefist, and I assume the northern barbarians, most seized and driven north, after the downfall of the Duchy.
SirXaris
GreySage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only specific animal I can think of are rothe - the smelly cattle of deepoerth (though, that may be a FR reference, not Greyhawk-specific).

I have had players buy war dogs for their low-level characters on several occasions. I have used the following:
Drow war dogs = Doberman Pinchers;
Wegwuir war dogs = Irish wolfhounds;
Perrender war dogs = Rottweilers;
Cooshie (elven war dogs) = look like the Tibetan Mastiff and non-magical versions may be acquired by PCs;
War dog (general breed, which may be found nearly everywhere in the Flanaess = Bull Mastiff;
Furyondian Shepherd = German Shepherd;
Seal Dog = Newfoundland - great swimmers used to hunt seals on the north coast of the Hold of Stonefist;
Fruzti war dog = Great Dane;
Schnai war dog = Saint Bernard;
Cruski war dog = Siberian Huskie;
Rovers war dog = Rhodesian Ridgeback;
Bandit Cattle Wrangler = Boxer - bred in the Bandit Kingdoms to be strong enough to herd cattle and serve as a war dog.

Yes, I know I have focused on the northern Flanaess, but that is where most of my campaigns take place. Feel free to use whatever inspires you. :)

SirXaris
Mystic-Scholar
GreySage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirXaris wrote:
I have used the following:SirXaris

Nice list. I'll bet that took some time and effort. Laughing
smillan_31
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeshirs are hounds that were bred in the last centuries of the Suloise Empire for hunting Halflings, whose meat was considered a delicacy by the Suel nobility. The migrant Suel houses brought yeshir with them into the Flanaess although the majority are kept now by Aerdi nobility and in the Scarlet Brotherhood, where the bloodlines are purest. The Naelax Overkings revived the sport of hunting Halflings with yeshir.
They are large, heavily built hounds standing about 3-4' tall at the shoulder and weigh about 150 lbs. They have bristly coats of brown, black or gray, broad, blunt heads with heavily muscled necks and powerful front legs with long claws for digging.
Source: LGJ 24 (DNG106), "Enchiridion of the Fiend Sage: Beasts of the Scarlet Brotherhood" pp. 91

There are some descriptions of dog breeds that someone did, either on CF! or as part of LG, I think for Keoland, but I can't find it.
smillan_31
Grandmaster Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasgon did an entry on dogs in the Monsters of Oerth thread he started back in 2011. He also listed some references that might be interesting to look into.

It's near the bottom of the page.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4491&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=breed&start=50
Dark_Lord_Galen
Paladin
Paladin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Greyhawkery (dont remember how far back) there was discussions around Castle Ehlenestra. This castle is first mentioned in the sourcebook The Marklands, Ehlenestra sits is at the western edge of the kingdom and is home to Sharnalem, a ranger swanmay Knight of the Hart who trains tyrgs to hunt down goblinoids.

By night, large packs of canines patrol around the castle walls including Tyrgs and Mist wolves. The tyrgs are famous throughout the land and are specially trained to hunt and attack orcs and goblinkind on sight.

Sharnalem is known to have many friends among the Highfolk. While she is a shy and elusive woman her gifts of tyrgs to Kalinstren have earned his gratitude.
mindseye
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are there flying cats? That place with the floppy hat wizard and the musical theatre group on a power trip have flying cats.

:D
A-Baneful-Backfire
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, how about some homebrew?

Dirawaen Softgait
These palfreys were bred to take advantage of the arcane roads for which they are named. Softgait refers to the peculiar gait of these horses that is faster than a trot but slower than a canter or gallop. They can maintain this gait for extended periods.
Dirawaen Softgaits come in all common horse colors, are a medium sized horse, and have well-defined withers, shoulders and legs. They are now found throughout the Flannaess.
3.5 As a light horse, but a base Speed 70 ft. when carrying a light or medium load and neither running or charging. When running, charging, pulling any load or carrying a heavy load it has a base Speed of 60 ft. Price 150 gp.

Jalpa Trotter
Jalpa is a significant city on the dirawaen roads so it was inevitable that local horse breeders developed a horse for carriage work. The Jalpa Trotter excels at pulling lighter carriages transporting people at a quick pace rather than hauling heavy freight wagons. When not overly burdened the trotter moves quickly. It is easily guided when used in teams.
3.5 As a light horse, +4 to Handle Animal checks for operating a vehicle pulled by all Jalpa Trotters, and base Speed 70 ft. when carrying/pulling a light or medium load and neither running or charging. When running, charging or carrying/pulling a heavy load, it has a base Speed of 60 ft. Price 150 gp.

Elredd Bandog
Dumb and vicious, these mastiffs are bred in the Wild Coast and Pomarj to deter trespassers. They are usually chained to a location as an obvious deterrent and to keep others out. To enter, the chain is usually shortened, limiting the area the bandog can reach. It is safer than relying upon the bandog’s limited degree of obedience to training. Alternatively, multiple bandogs are allowed to roam a fully enclosed area. The cruelty of Wild Coast owners means bandogs can spend their entire lives chained to one spot and end up eaten when they are no longer useful.
The breed itself is powerfully muscled, has short bowed legs, powerful jaws and a short coat with a dark mask. Their coats are of any common canine colors. Many Wild Coast owners have the bandog’s tail docked and ears cropped.
3.5 As war mastiff (Heroes of Battle), Speed 30 ft., +4 Str, Int 1, -4 to Handle Animal checks directed at the bandog, no racial bonus to Jump, and replace the Endurance feat with Weapon Focus (bite). Price 150 gp.
crash72ndst
Novice
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Burneal Forest wolf-dogs Reply with quote

Gary Gygax introduced the Burneal Forest wolf-dog way back in the 1st Edition Greyhawk Glossography and 1st Edition Guide to the Word of Greyhawk. They are huge dogs used by the Uirtag "to locate and corner or bring down prey." On the Glossography encounter tables they were described "as wild dogs but equal to war dogs."
edmundscott
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like flying cats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: