JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Alignment Map Guide page 44
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Alignment Map Guide page 44
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:16 am  
    Alignment Map Guide page 44

The Scarlet Brotherhood gets a bad rap. That mountain/plateau region is straight-up LN. No sneaky snake of Lawful Evilness in sight.

But Kro Terlep and Ekul do not appear to lie within the shaded region...

My (wildly heretical) reading:

The true Scarlet Brotherhood is an isolationist monastic order that dominates the Tilvanot Plateau. Its nefarious reputation stems from outsiders' suspicion about its refusal of commerce and diplomatic ties and from the evil activities of a splinter Brotherhood faction that controls Kro Terlep and Ekul in the lowlands/coastal regions.

The Black Brotherhood (the splinter faction) works with the serpent-men of the far south, slavers, and pirates.

-----------------------

Almor's three map alignments are CG, NG, and N.
    That differs notably from the Glossography, pg 31, which notes LN and LG as typical alignments for PCs from Almor.
    Contradiction? Yes, it seems so.
    But maybe(and I know I'm just pulling this out of my hat) lawful types find Almor uncongenial and so are prone to wander.
    Most Almorians are CG, NG, or N. CG fits Kord; Dragon magazine lists Almor as one of the noted centers of his cult.

The Guide's description of Almor as a state 'only loose organized' and possesses a 'strong spirit of freedom and justice based on religious precepts' sounds petty much like what I'd expect from a CG, NG, N mix.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:05 pm  

The one I find most interesting on that table is Celene: LN. I remember looking at that and going, the most elven of elven nations is LN?

Later books corrected that to CG--but I keep wanting to reconcile the sources.

My current thinking is that the elves of Celene are indeed CG, but the half-elves, humans, and other underclass races adhere to a LN ethos; this sows the seeds for some interesting class-warfare scenarios there, maybe even a rebellion . . .
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:16 pm  

edmundscott wrote:
    The one I find most interesting on that table is Celene: LN. I remember looking at that and going, the most elven of elven nations is LN?

Later books corrected that to CG--but I keep wanting to reconcile the sources.

My current thinking is that the elves of Celene are indeed CG, but the half-elves, humans, and other underclass races adhere to a LN ethos; this sows the seeds for some interesting class-warfare scenarios there, maybe even a rebellion . . .

Good catch.

How many of the People of the Testing came from Celene? The mass expulsion of the native humans of the Lendore Isles has always seemed to me to be out of character for CG elves. But LN types convinced by their religious leaders that they owned the islands?

Last edited by NorkerMedic on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:22 am  

My WoG boxed set has a map that shows three alignments for Celene: NG, LN, TN.

I run pre-Wars and without any attempt to adhere closely to later published sources (though I'm very happy to use them).

Celene is roughly one part human, one part elf, and one part gnome/halfling by my interpretation and expansion of the demographic information in the Guide.
    (I assume several thousand halflings where the book lists the race but does not provide a figure and I count half-elves as part of the generic--default human--population of 20K.)

So my take on it might be:

NG Ehlonna (elves, good-aligned gnomes and halflings)

LN Saint Cuthbert (lawful humans)

TN Obad Hai (humans, neutral-aligned gnomes and halflings)

That sets up a three-way rivalry.

The Cuthbertines have been proselytizing successfully among humans.
    The queen looks upon the burgeoning sect with disfavor.

After suffering years of harassment, pranks, and insults from followers of established cults, this strain of the faith has grown hard-edged and combative, even for Cuthbertines. Its regional founders were LN and their ethos has prevailed.

I think I would ignore or marginalize the Seldarine for this one, at least in Celene.

Ehlonna is a perfectly good elf deity.

I imagine most humans in Celene are farmers. The map shows a lot of open/clear land. That could include many woodlots and small stands of forest, but Celene is not a forest kingdom.
    I would guess that it includes extensive meadowlands.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: