#greytalk-discord
    JOIN THE CHAT
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Naval Rules
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Naval Rules
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:20 pm  
    Greyhawk Naval Rules

I haven't done much with naval combat or shipboard adventuring and I'm looking to change that. I have Ghosts of Saltmars h for 5e and a pdf of the 2e Of Ships and the Sea. I also have the Birthright Naval Battle Rules which I'm not going to use but instead canniblize for ideas. Hasd anyone done work on Greyhawk Naval rules?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:56 pm  
    Edition

I don't think naval rules are setting specific but rather rules specific. I believe Original, Basic, and Advanced cover naval encounters.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:13 pm  
    Re: Edition

Raymond wrote:
    I don't think naval rules are setting specific but rather rules specific. I believe Original, Basic, and Advanced cover naval encounters.

For me Greyhawk has a specific flavor that I try to maintain. Rules must be blended to suit Greyhawk, not Greyhawk made bland to suit rules.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:44 pm  

I liked the rules in the 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms supplement Pirates of the Fallen Stars. They had fairly simple rules, but additionally a lot of the background material could be converted for Greyhawk, especially the islands off the coast of the Hold of the Sea Princes.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:22 pm  

tarelton wrote:
    I liked the rules in the 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms supplement Pirates of the Fallen Stars. They had fairly simple rules, but additionally a lot of the background material could be converted for Greyhawk, especially the islands off the coast of the Hold of the Sea Princes.

I will have to see if they have a pdf of that. Ive owned it but dont think I do anymore. I take it that it is different than Of Ships and the Sea?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:32 am  
    Re: Greyhawk Naval Rules

JasonZavoda wrote:
    I haven't done much with naval combat or shipboard adventuring and I'm looking to change that. I have Ghosts of Saltmars h for 5e and a pdf of the 2e Of Ships and the Sea. I also have the Birthright Naval Battle Rules which I'm not going to use but instead canniblize for ideas. Hasd anyone done work on Greyhawk Naval rules?

I agree with the other recommended sources mentioned and also have another, the module Slavers. Slavers has a small area containing rules for naval combat that's pretty cool. You could also use SpellJammer rules, and it would still fit the Greyhawk mold because Oerth is heavily featured in SpellJammer.
    CF Admin

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:46 pm  

I just took the 3 plane aspect out of spelljammer and dumbed it down to 2 planes and has worked for me fantastically for years.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:53 pm  

I actually what I converted in a word doc if anyone wants it. PM me a email. its for 2nd ed

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:04 pm  

abysslin wrote:
    I actually what I converted in a word doc if anyone wants it. PM me a email. its for 2nd ed

Would be happy to check that out, abysslin, thanks!: grodog@gmail.com

Allan.

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:08 pm  

Ill send it your way tomorrow, Gro.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:19 am  

Alan,

They should be shared to your google drive. Please confirm.

Jason,

Looking at these documents (I made them in 2007,) The encounter chart has some Greyhawk flavor. I think doctoring some of it up wouldn't be too difficult and perhaps I'll throw them on a forum here or something as my next project.

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:30 am  

A friend of mine ,Guy Sclanders of Great GM fame, had a kickstarter and patreon site that addresses this very problem.... most settings do a terrible job at the adventure on the open seas, and he hopes to remedy that... I have read through the rough draft and it looks promising. It will be available on DriveThruRPG fairly soon. So check out the kickstarter page for an over view.

Though not Greyhawk specific, I have hopes of cannibalizing it and meshing it with other less cumbersome pieces.

DLG
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guysclanders/a-complete-guide-to-nautical-campaigns
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: