Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Which Greyhawk NPCs would you most like to see detailed?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Which Greyhawk NPCs would you most like to see detailed?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:16 pm  
    Which Greyhawk NPCs would you most like to see detailed?

I love reading about WoG NPCs and I love who many of them have developed over the years. I really enjoyed the Dungeon write up of Evard and Warduke.

It got me thinking about the perpetual dream of a Greyhawk hardcover, and which NPCs do you think are so important to Greyhawk that they would be detailed in the main hardcover - rather than being left to another region specific book (think 3E FR hardcover, versus regional softcover books).

Obviously the Circle of Eight would need some detail, though you probably couldn't fit right ups of all of them like in LGJ#0. But Mordenkainen I think would have to be there.

Obviously Iuz is central to many plots and would need to be detailed - though as a deity he might already be covered.

Who else rates a mention in your view?
    Canon Hazen? King Belvor? Queen Yolande? The Dread Hierach (if he lives in your campaign), the Father of Obedience? Perhaps Nerof Gasgol since the hardcover would have to talk about the Gem of the Flanaess?

Then perhaps a second question: if not in the main Greyhawk Hardcover, but somewhere else, like Oerth Journal - which Greyhawk NPC would you like to see written up?
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:53 am  
    Re: Which Greyhawk NPCs would you most like to see detailed?

Phalastar wrote:
    I love reading about WoG NPCs and I love who many of them have developed over the years. I really enjoyed the Dungeon write up of Evard and Warduke.

It got me thinking about the perpetual dream of a Greyhawk hardcover, and which NPCs do you think are so important to Greyhawk that they would be detailed in the main hardcover - rather than being left to another region specific book (think 3E FR hardcover, versus regional softcover books).

Obviously the Circle of Eight would need some detail, though you probably couldn't fit right ups of all of them like in LGJ#0. But Mordenkainen I think would have to be there.

Obviously Iuz is central to many plots and would need to be detailed - though as a deity he might already be covered.

Who else rates a mention in your view?
    Canon Hazen? King Belvor? Queen Yolande? The Dread Hierach (if he lives in your campaign), the Father of Obedience? Perhaps Nerof Gasgol since the hardcover would have to talk about the Gem of the Flanaess?

Then perhaps a second question: if not in the main Greyhawk Hardcover, but somewhere else, like Oerth Journal - which Greyhawk NPC would you like to see written up?

For me it would be Bigby. I don't often have player's encounter many of the more famous NPC's but Bigby has always been more accesable in m campaign. He will often be the source of quests for higher end mid-level characters.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:53 pm  

Philidor with his biography

Canon Hazen

The Timeless Tree community on the Vesve could be profiled
    GreySage

Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:40 am  

I would like to know more about what Iggwilv has been up to lately.

Likewise, I am interested in the further development of Eclavdra and Obmi, Tzunk, and Keraptis.

I would like to know more about ancient civilizations like the Ur-Flan, Caerdiralor, Sulm, The Kingdom of Ehlissa, Vecna's empire, and the Isles of Woe.

SirXaris

Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:10 am  

Well, if the question is about a main setting book, I think the focus should be on present day characters the PCs are likely to frequently encounter.

I wouldn't bother with major rulers, then, except perhaps Nerof Gasgal.

It's not really the place for detailed writeups of ancient historical figures.

Mordenkainen has been statted a couple of times in 5e already (in Curse of Strahd and Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus). Iggwilv appears in, and was statted in, The Wild Beyond the Witchlight.

I'd focus on other members of the Circle of Eight, like Jallarzi, Drawmij, Bigby, Warnes, and Nystul, and characters like Kieren Jalucian and Org Nenshen who are important in their respective regions and likely to act as patrons for the NPCs, and on important villains like Keak, Obmi, Eli Tomorast, and Rary.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:01 pm  

We're living in an era of nostalgia and it's increasingly boring seeing Greyhawk's touchstones trotted out and rehashed again and again and again.

I'd like to see new content and new NPC's.
    Ideally, one third of the characters would expand the world and be located in Greyhawk's far-flung, under-developed areas to add interest and inspire adventures.

Another third would be wheels-within-wheels connected to Greyhawk's classic sites and personages. Agents of the CoE that PC's will encounter long before the fabled archmages ever reveal themselves. Heralds and recruiters of rulers. Captains of the watch in Marklands cities that murder hobos are likely to encounter. Tharizdun's most notable cell or cult on the Nyr Dyv.

The final batch would be obscure characters that have only been mentioned or described once before. Drenel and Naz. The Ring of Five apprentices. Patch, the former Boneheart high priest, completely mad and reincarnated by a Dark Druid.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:18 am  

I can agree with a lot that. We don't really need a lot of NPC stats; especially for high level NPCs. Concepts are generally much more useful - this NPC over her does this/facilitates that, etc. The most useful NPCs to fully stat out are villains the PC's will actually face off against, and those should only be statted out in a module that players really shouldn't be seeing (DM eye candy only! Evil Grin).

Big names? Probably Incosee. Overall? More middling level NPCs everywhere, as they would be more likely to interact with, influence, or be foils to the PCs. Is there even a single powerful merchant guild master fully statted out anywhere? How about one from Greyhawk, Dyvers, Irongate, Hardby, Highport, or Monmurg?
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: