Canonfire :: View topic - 579cy
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    579cy
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:43 am  
    579cy

Greyhawk 579cy

The year is 579cy and Zuggtmoy is free.

The Slavelords have been defeated. The giant incursion into Geoff and the northern states has been curtailed. The Drow have been revealed. A strange metal citadel in the Barrier Peaks has been discovered and looted. White Plume Mountain has been plundered. Even the little town of Saltmarsh has been saved from an attack from the sea. Acererak's Tomb has once again defeated its explorers and its legend grows.

After nearly 40 years of campaigning in Greyhawk I've moved 3 years forward in game time. Most of the current material found on this blog will be written for 579 in mind, but a good number of projects that I'm working on can be set at anytime, some can be used with any setting or any edition of the game (But when I write about game mechanics I write for 1eAD&D).

What has changed in 579cy? There is a silent war in the city of Greyhawk between the oligarchs. The main contention is between the guild of Thieves and the guild of Assassins.

In the viscounty of Verbobonc, the Wild Coast, Kron Hills, Lortmils. Celene, and surrounding lands there is an invasion of wolf riding goblins.

A death cult has risen in the Bakluni states but members of it are coming to Verbobonc and the ruins of the Temple of Elemental Evil. Prince Thrommel has been rescued and now plans on marrying the daughter of Viscount Wilfirick.

In Nyrond the cult of Incabulos is on the rise.

And still the Flanaess is much how it was in 576cy. The rumor of war is perhaps louder , but no sweeping changes have altered the maps or destroyed nations (at least not in my campaign or what I write about).

Much, Much more is coming in 579 and I plan on working on my version of Greyhawk piece by piece. I hope it can be of some use for other DMs.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:45 am  

So WARS! aside, are you ignoring Gary’s and Rob’s DRAGON articles describing the actions in the Great Kingdom and Shield Lands? However later authors interpreted the outcome, there was clearly a buildup to open hostilities in the east and the northern marches. After 19 years, we’re still in 573 CY—we started in 567 CY—so I haven’t needed to answer those questions yet, but we may get there someday (if we live long enough Laughing).
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:54 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    So WARS! aside, are you ignoring Gary’s and Rob’s DRAGON articles describing the actions in the Great Kingdom and Shield Lands? However later authors interpreted the outcome, there was clearly a buildup to open hostilities in the east and the northern marches. After 19 years, we’re still in 573 CY—we started in 567 CY—so I haven’t needed to answer those questions yet, but we may get there someday (if we live long enough Laughing).

The Dragon Mag articles are Gygax's campaign. Originally his game was pretty wild and loose but later he said that his player's wanted to use the published setting.

Then there is Gygax's Gord Novel setting which is different from both his home game and the published setting. Gygax not only starts WARS! but he destroys the Oerth.

So I will use the Dragon articles and the Gord novels as far as they go. Both give some idea about troop strengths and such. Same with the 2e/3e stuff. A lot provides some 579cy background but I disagree with a lot of Sargent's details.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: