JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Adapting the Enemy Within to Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Adapting the Enemy Within to Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:57 am  
    Adapting the Enemy Within to Greyhawk

The Enemy Within is a series of six Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying (hereon abbreviated as WFRPG) adventures and source material published from 1986-1989. They are highly regarded and considered the definitive WFRPG campaign. The Greyhawk connection is that Carl Sargent wrote two of them: Power Behind the Throne (the fourth book) and Empire in Flames (the sixth book).

The current version of WFRPG by Cubicle 7 is doing a (slightly) modified version called The Enemy in Shadows. There will be spoilers in this thread for the adventures; if you are going to play them then stop reading this! I am using the original numbering on the adventures, though modern versions (both Cubicle 7's and Hogshead's republishing in the mid 90s) combine the first two (The Enemy Within and Shadows Over Bogenhafen) into Shadows Over Bogenhafen.

There is usually considered to be a steep drop off in quality after Power Behind the Throne. Something Rotten in Kislev (the fifth book) was not originally slated to be part of the series. Cubicle 7 is going to replace it with the Horned Rat which was the name of the original adventure slotted for it.

Within the last year, and I ran the adventures, and I stopped after Power Behind the Throne. I am not well suited to running published adventures, WFRPG 1st edition is a clunky system, and I didn't like the way the GM is expected to treat the party. While the Enemy Within has a good claim to being one of the first narrative adventure paths (I believe that Dragonlance is the first narrative adventure path and while GDQ might be the first adventure path, it is not a narrative one), it being the first meant that it had poor ways to move the players from adventure to adventure. I had to keep reminding myself that the entire series was published before White Wolf came about and focused more heavily on narrative/storytelling where previously it was expected that the GM and players would manage that themselves.

Before we get into any of the specific events, it should be noted that the Enemy Within introduced the Chaos God Tzeentch into the setting. He's the Chaos god of magic and change. The original first edition WFRPG book had three gods of Chaos: Khorne, Nurgle, and Malal. Malal was dropped out over rights concerns, so this series introduces one of the four main Chaos gods (Slaanesh was introduced later; I'm not sure when). This sort of thing has precedence in Greyhawk, with the GDQ series introducing Lolth, the Temple of Elemental Evil introducing Zuggtmoy, and the Forgotten Temple of Tharzidun introducing, well, Tharzidun. My point being, if you want to introduce a completely new evil deity/outer planar entity as having cults involved, you can. Tzeentch is also very easily substituted with an existing evil power, my preference would to be go with an obscure or original one and leave the name "Tzeentch" out of it. Greyhawk has the advantage of having an entire Outer Planes to draw from, so making the extraplanar entity involved a deity, demon, devil, daemon, or demodand is up to the DM. The events are probably a good opportunity for a quasi- or hero-deity make the jump to the next level of divinity, so that is also an option.

For the original adventure, the extraplanar power isn't that important, but the D&D system involves more powerful characters than the WFRPG system. WFRPG characters can't defeat a Chaos god, but high level D&D characters could defeat an enemy on the level of an archdevil or demon prince. Consider the events of the Enemy Within as simply one plot by assorted minions of the power, rather than a plot directly involving the power itself.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:14 am  

Let's go over some technical details first.

While Paizo's adventure paths are designed to take a character from level 1 to 20, the Enemy Within is not going to do that. The bulk of any experience awarded is going to come from story awards, not combat; it isn't a combat-heavy adventure.

It is suitable for starting with a level 1 party. I would estimate that they might end up at level 10-12 by the end of the whole thing. I'll put what levels I think a party would be at for each of the pieces of the adventure.

A lot of the combat portions will need tweaking. The WFRPG system has combat where any character who gets an unlucky roll can be one-shot. Casting spells in combat also makes the spellcaster completely vulnerable (I believe they are automatically hit), so doing so can be deadly. It's a low magic setting.

In contrast, Greyhawk is a high magic setting where combat is not so lethal to the PCs. It's best to think of the original adventures as outlines to be sketched in, rather than a specific adventure to rigorously adapt.
    GreySage

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:38 am  
    Re: Adapting the Enemy Within to Greyhawk

LarethTheBeautiful wrote:
    Greyhawk has the advantage of having an entire Outer Planes to draw from, so making the extraplanar entity involved a deity, demon, devil, daemon, or demodand is up to the DM.

I think Graz'zt would actually make a pretty decent substitute for Tzeentch. Failing that, possibly Abraxas, Arzial, Gresil, or Marbas (from Green Ronin's Book of Fiends).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:52 am  

Graz'zt works. I'm not even sure whether it needs to be someone on the level of a demon prince/archdevil; a duke of Hell or the Abyssal equivalent would work just fine.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:58 am  

The Enemy Within is the first part of the Enemy Within campaign. The original release involved mostly source material for the Empire and an introductory adventure which is called "Mistaken Identities" in the current releases and combined with Shadows Over Bogenhafen. This portion of the adventure is very short.

This was set as an introductory adventure, so PCs should be level 1-2 and should number somewhere between 4 and 6. There are times in the series that the party should split up to cover more ground (as these are urban adventures with a low amount of combat, the old maxim "don't split the party" can be ignored), and having a slightly larger group helps with that. There's quite a bit of investigation and role-playing in the series (not so much in this portion), so if that doesn't work with your players, I'd recommend just picking out a piece here or there rather than trying to do the whole series.

Placing the adventure in Greyhawk can be tricky. We have a nominally benevolent empire, so evil nations are inappropriate. The royal family is inbred and incompetent, and the Empire is also strongly associated with at least two good deities. No nation fully meets the guidelines, so it becomes a question of what parts to remove.

The things to keep in mind are that, if you follow the outline of the original, the emperor dies without a suitable heir, and a civil war between the two religious factions is stopped by a divine sign by the two good deities.

Furyondy, Keoland, and Nyrond can all fit the bill. Both Furyondy and Nyrond have threats on their border (the Horned Lands and Iuz or the Great Kingdom). Despite that, I would personally go with Keoland. It's always seemed a little less martial to me, and the lack of an external threat makes it all the more vulnerable to, sorry I can't resist, an enemy within. It is also less detailed due to there not being an equivalent book to the Marklands for Keoland.

The initial adventure involves the PCs going to Altdorf to join the Crown Prince on a crusade. On the way there, they come across chaos mutants and their recent victims, one of whom is a dead ringer for one of the PCs. Said person has personal identification as one Kastor Lieberung and a letter on them, indicating that he is the heir to a title and considerable fortune that can be collected at the law offices in Bogenhafen. The PCs don't make it to Altdorf in time, and decide to make their way to Bogenhafen to collect this fortune. On the way, the PCs are attacked by a bounty hunter. Kastor Lieberung is a chaos cultist, and the bounty hunter set up the whole fake inheritence to trap him.

Unpacking this, it is unsuitable for a party with Good aligned members. Could you imagine a paladin trying to steal the inheritence of someone else who looked like him? That would result in an ex-paladin very quickly. The players may also feel that they are being led around by the nose, and the whole adventure series has a bad habit of making promises to the PCs and then reneging on those promises after the PCs fulfill their part. In the WFRPG system, where all combat can go incredibly wrong for the PCs, they have to suck it up. In Greyhawk where the PCs are significantly more powerful than most of the NPCs, I feel that this would results in the NPCs getting a well deserved beatdown. I would suggest giving the PCs the reward, but toning them down to make them reasonable. If you have a group of players where this won't work, let's look at what can be changed.

Removing the whole "this PC looks like Kastor" isn't recommended because there are more than a few instances where the chaos cult thinks that Kastor has betrayed them and sends cultists to capture or kill him. Instead, consider having documents that transfer the money to a temple or charity that fits your PCs. If the cleric of Heironeous comes into a document that puts a few thousand GP from probate into a temple of Heironeous's coffers, they will go to Bogenhafen. You could also change things around to Kastor investigating the cult rather than being a member, so that would explain why he is on this duty to help a good temple; the bounty hunter can be hired by the cult. The important thing is to move them to Bogenhafen.

There are also a few NPCs that the party will meet. Most go away at the end of the adventure, but two of them are of note: Ernest Heidlemann poses as a student physician, but is really a chaos cultist that will be more important in Death on the Reik (adventure 3), and Josef Quartjin is a friendly boatman who ferries the party to Bogenhafen and will help them get started out in Death on the Reik. Replacing Josef with a friendly Rhenee makes sense.
    GreySage

Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:25 pm  

LarethTheBeautiful wrote:

The things to keep in mind are that, if you follow the outline of the original, the emperor dies without a suitable heir, and a civil war between the two religious factions is stopped by a divine sign by the two good deities.

What if this was the Iron Schism in the Church of Hextor described in Ivid the Undying, with the followers of Patriarch-General Pyrannden going to war with followers of Krennden, Patriarch of Hextor in Rel Astra? And then a sign from Hextor makes them decide to unite?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:52 am  

A DM could set the campaign in the Great Kingdom prior to the Turmoil Between the Crowns. The House of Rax got inbred and incompetent before it was deposed. So that period would fit before the GK truly went bad.

It could also be an NPC or patron that has the inheritance and needs help to go claim it. Maybe an apparent attempt by another bounty hunter on him to cause him or her to need adventurers as body guards.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: