Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Which Greyhawk City/Town would you most like to see detailed
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Which Greyhawk City/Town would you most like to see detailed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:57 am  
    Which Greyhawk City/Town would you most like to see detailed

I could have done this as a poll but there would be too many possible options.

Imagine you were told a known 'Greyhawk writer' had been tasked to produce a long article (>10 pages) detailed any city or town in the World of Greyhawk (apart from the Free City of Greyhawk itself). You get to pick which one - which one do you choose and why?

Personally I'm a huge fan of, and have a campaign set in, the Free City of Irongate - so I would choose that. Aside from the excellent but brief Dragon magazine article and the ancient Irongate Project website, there isn't a lot. And for me it has a lot of appeal as a major city, away from some of the more popular spots of Greyhawk.

So what would you choose and why?
    GreySage

Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:21 am  

I agree that Irongate would be a fantastic city to have more detail on as a base of operations, like the City of Greyhawk.

But, from a purely adventuring point of view, I would choose Molag, Rauxes, Port Toli, and a reworking of Hesuel Ilshar in that order. These preferences are all pre-Greyhawk Wars.

SirXaris

Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:17 pm  

So many options!

I supposed I'd go with some of these from a "place you can adventure in" POV (based on 576 CY):

- Rauxes
    - Hesuel Ilshar, the Scarlet Brotherhood capital
    - the olven City of Glass in the Lendor Isles
    - Spinecastle
    - Stoink
    - Highport

Some additional options open up during/after the GH Wars, including Chathold and Icespire among others.

Allan.

Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:00 pm  

Niole Dra! A map is a must by Mike Schley.

Gradsul is my 2nd choice. Ditto on the map.

The Sheldomar Valley is its own microcosm and the central influencer of Keoland, Niole Dra, needs its own definitive write-up.

Great question. Thanks.
    Novice

Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:15 pm  

Skech wrote:

The Sheldomar Valley is its own microcosm and the central influencer of Keoland, Niole Dra, needs its own definitive write-up.

Great question. Thanks.

I second that!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:19 pm  

I thought we would see a lot of love for the Sheldomar Valley, because as you say, it sort of forms its own microcosm. Niole Dra and Gradsul would both be great.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:55 pm  

As a matter of fact, my votes will go to Highfolk City and the Elven capitol of Flameflower.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:50 pm  

Another vote for Gradsul and Niole Dra.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:35 pm  

I'll cast a vote for Stoink.

That seems to have been the perpetually "coming soon" from Dragon Magazines past.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:19 pm  

Add one more vote for Niole Dra and Gradsul.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:11 pm  

Another vote for Rauxes, here. - Perhaps not the obvious choice, but a detailed "year 600" version of the place could make for a pretty unique setting. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Ivid the Undying" and the entire Sargent series of books are probably still the backbone for many a modern Greyhawk player; "Ivid" perhaps moreso than other titles because it was always free.

Following on the free setting book with a free introductory booklet for the main city set in that space, probably worth the while. - Rauxes pre-Wars would have been sweet, but, personally, I'd be more interested in a post-Wars take than that, if only because it would take me to places I don't know about yet. Smile

Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:52 pm  

Rel Devan - or really anything in the south east-ish Flanaess.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:28 pm  

Lots of votes for Keoland. I'm interested to know what it is about Stoink that captures interest?

Rel Deven I agree would be great. And I agree Rauxes would be super-interesting - I too would make it ~CY 600.

Yes - I find I'm always re-reading Ivid the Undying - all those little gems of detail buried in the text are just brilliant.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:50 pm  

Le Noir Faineant wrote:
    Another vote for Rauxes, here. - Perhaps not the obvious choice, but a detailed "year 600" version of the place could make for a pretty unique setting. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Ivid the Undying" and the entire Sargent series of books are probably still the backbone for many a modern Greyhawk player; "Ivid" perhaps moreso than other titles because it was always free.

Following on the free setting book with a free introductory booklet for the main city set in that space, probably worth the while. - Rauxes pre-Wars would have been sweet, but, personally, I'd be more interested in a post-Wars take than that, if only because it would take me to places I don't know about yet. Smile

I think a lot of places would benefit from pre/post-war (circa 600 CY) maps and detailed gazetteer write-ups. In addition to Rauxes and Molag, I would love to see Westkeep, Monmurg, Port Toli - heck, the whole of the former Hold of the Sea Princes! - covered in depth.

And while Gradsul and Niole Dra still top my list, I have no shortage of interest in other regions.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:03 am  

Phalastar wrote:
    ...I'm interested to know what it is about Stoink that captures interest?...

-The Lake Geneva crew had Stoink detailed. IIRC, they were supposed to publish it back in the 1980s. As usual, they never got around to it...
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:35 pm  

All of these would be fine choices. Here are a couple I'd add:

Rel Astra: This is where it all began, the original capital of the Great Kingdom before the Malachite Throne was moved to Rauxes. It's probably got some of the richest cultural and magical heritage in the entire history of Aerdy, particularly with how much of the rest of the Great Kingdom's lore would have been destroyed in Rauxes. The kind of historical continuity and tradition here would be fascinating.

Enstad: Similar to Rel Astra, Enstad is probably one of the oldest and most historic cities in the entire Flanaess. It being a demihuman, particularly a gray elven, city also means that it has potential to be really different than most human lands. Fey creatures like brownies, leprechauns, sprites and unicorns, which are all rare at best in human lands, could all be much more common here. Architecture and art shaped by milennia of tradition could also be shown here, similar to the likes of Qualinesti in Dragonlance or Evermeet in the Forgotten Realms.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:44 am  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    All of these would be fine choices. Here are a couple I'd add:

Rel Astra: This is where it all began, the original capital of the Great Kingdom before the Malachite Throne was moved to Rauxes. It's probably got some of the richest cultural and magical heritage in the entire history of Aerdy, particularly with how much of the rest of the Great Kingdom's lore would have been destroyed in Rauxes. The kind of historical continuity and tradition here would be fascinating.

Also a pretty good choice, for the reasons you named. Probably more interesting than Rauxes itself. I've actually been looking at "The Fate of Istus" recently, one of the few sources I recall on the city, and... Not sure if I personally could make a post-war Rauxes work all too smoothly in a game, even when combining "Istus" and "Ivid". Unless one would have extremely experienced players that want to play out a story that nuances the meta-plot, a more open setting might be better for them.

Like, not saying that Rauxes would be a bad choice, but it's just not the most natural gaming location compared to other places in the Great Kingdom. Like, there's a reason why the German Living Greyhawk community chose Innspa for themselves, and not Rauxes, I guess. Smile

Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:05 pm  

Rel Astra or Rel Deven would be great. Enstad also.
    But Niole Dra as capital of Keoland has to be up there. Massive kingdom never full explored (probably deliberately) prior to LGG.
    And I reckon Gary Holian has it all in his brain ready to write if not written up.
    As an aside Lopolla in Ket would be cool. Cross roads of east and west. And big hole in the ground where Rary’s tower used to be.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:21 pm  

I'm going with Enstad. I can't recall ever seeing a grey elf/faerie settlement (as opposed to high elf or wood elf) anywhere in any setting. What are the gossamer spires like? How does a CG government really function?

There could be taverns there over a millennium old . . . .
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:00 am  

Skech wrote:

Great question. Thanks.

Gradsul is my top choice and Noila Dra my 2nd!
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:02 pm  

I'd love to see a fresh take on Exag. Hated the super boring Paizo treatment.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:07 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    I'd love to see a fresh take on Exag. Hated the super boring Paizo treatment.

...well, there's always the Rose Estes version...

Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:56 pm  

Another vote for Enstad and for Stoink.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: