Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hello
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Hello
    Novice

Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:06 am  
    Hello

Hi all

53-year-old man here, who has been roleplaying for just over 40 years but never really delved into Greyhawk. Hopefully, that is going to all change soon, as I DM for my buddies.

I've grown to really appreciate the setting information that's out there that helps bring the world to life. At first, I thought it was, too mundane, not epic enough, but that's not what I think anymore. I've come to think of Greyhawk in terms similar to Game of Thrones in that politics is high on the agenda, only with more fantasy elements.

Anyway, looking forward to learning from the veterans here.

Happy new year all. :)
    GreySage

Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:10 am  

Welcome to Canonfire! Taffy. Sounds like you're about my age. :)

I am surprised that you haven't gotten into Greyhawk if you began playing that long ago. Did you begin in a home campaign world, then expand into other worlds later?

SirXaris

Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:43 pm  
    I was the same way

I was playing D&D 40 years ago but while my friends were getting the AD&D books, I had gotten the boxed set and kept getting the other boxed sets as they came out. So I was familiar with the Known World and not too familiar with the details of Greyhawk until just a few years ago.
    Novice

Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:47 pm  

That's odd, I am sure I tweaked the settings but I haven't received any email notifications.

Started off my friend was running things, then I had a go in the DM seat, but we never really had a "world", more of an A4 piece of hex paper with hand-drawn terrain. Then, adventures would come out, Temple of Elemental Evil, and stuff, and we ran those. One week we're in Greyhawk the next week we're in the Forgotten Realms (Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, etc), and we didn't have a clue that we were in those places. And that's how it went.

Great times.

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:51 pm  
    Yep

I can relate to that too. When we started, we were playing modules and not thinking about a world they might be assigned to. The modules have a "Start" section and the Basic rules said to not worry about playing between a home base and the entrance.

In high school, I got an allowance for chores which didn't allow for me to buy stuff very often so springing for the $5.00 module was something I planned to use and it didn't occur to me to focus around where the module might be placed. That is something I do today...along with thinking about the ecology of the scenario which we didn't worry too much about in the 80s. So yeah, B2 and X2 kind of get a fun house reputation now. We had fun so they were doing the job just fine then.
    Novice

Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:15 am  

Hello to all new users
    Novice

Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:45 pm  

hello dear man!

GreySage

Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:21 am  

Welcome to Canonfire! JoeGambe and cinemak! We hope you enjoy the show. Happy

SirXaris
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: