JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Cataracted Rivers
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Cataracted Rivers
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:08 am  
    Cataracted Rivers

I don't remember any mention of cataracts in the description of any river in the Flanaess. If there was one, it would make the river unnavigable at that point and would require a portage point, or maybe a canal.

Did I miss one?

Any ideas out there?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:04 pm  

IIRC from the gold box section on rivers, the rivers depicted on the large-scale maps were specifically those clear of cataracts and thus were navigable their full depicted length by at least river barges.

The maps only depict major rivers, and there will be dozens if not hundreds of smaller rivers and streams not depicted. A good rule of thumb is that there will be a minor river or large stream in every hex on the Darlene map. Even in the desert, there will at least be frequent dry river or stream beds, where water flows during the rare rains. These lesser watercourses will be less navigable, or course.

Of course, there's several places were cataracts or even full-bore waterfalls would make sense, if a DM were inclined to make small changes to canon. As always, your game; your rules.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:55 pm  

The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer says that "the Upper Neen River descends from the Cairn Hills in a low series of waterfalls to fill" Mist Lake. This is from the entry for Mist Lake on page 149, instead of the entry for the Neen River (page 152).
    From WotC's Living Greyhawk Archives (consult the Wayback Machine to find this) article on the Duchy of Berghof comes this entry on the Hool River: "the fast-flowing upper Hool River cuts a broad gap [through the ring of mountains surronding the duchy] as it tumbles from Lake Spendlowe to the plains in a series of spectacular cataracts. This information is also found in the Greyhawk Wiki under 'Berghof" and "Duchy of Berghof."
    GreySage

Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:00 pm  
    Re: Cataracted Rivers

jamesdglick wrote:
    I don't remember any mention of cataracts in the description of any river in the Flanaess. If there was one, it would make the river unnavigable at that point and would require a portage point, or maybe a canal.

Did I miss one?

Any ideas out there?

Vulcan wrote:
    Of course, there's several places were cataracts or even full-bore waterfalls would make sense, if a DM were inclined to make small changes to canon. As always, your game; your rules.

The portion of the Velverdyva River that runs through the Yatil Mountains would be a prime candidate for such.

In my own campaign, I positioned Sanctigaard (Sir Xaris' castle) at the point of the Jewel River that the WoG Glossography describes as the northernmost point navigable by large water craft. I put a small waterfall at that point on the map here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkrjs4hovcjvhii/sir_xaris_map.png?dl=0

Here is a link to the Canonfire! article: http://canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1013

SirXaris

Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:47 pm  

LG Nyrond placed the hamlet of Big Rapids at the headwaters of the Duntide, where it emerges from the Flinty Hills. Presumably the settlement is aptly named.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:38 pm  

As I recall, the Javan river is navigable by boat as far north as Cryllor (Keoland). The mountainous source of the Javan strongly suggests that there would be cataracts along its northernmost stretches.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: