Signup
Welcome to... Canonfire! World of GreyhawK
Features
Postcards from the Flanaess
Adventures
in Greyhawk
Cities of
Oerth
Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New Hellish and Planar magic items
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    New Hellish and Planar magic items
    Author Message
    CF Admin

    Joined: Jun 29, 2001
    Posts: 1537
    From: Wichita, KS, USA

    Send private message
    Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:42 am  
    New Hellish and Planar magic items

    For your infernal and planar gaming needs: https://grodog.blogspot.com/2024/06/new-planar-magic-items.html

    Enjoy! :)

    Allan.
    _________________
    Allan Grohe (grodog@gmail.com)
    http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html
    CF Admin

    Joined: Jul 28, 2001
    Posts: 681
    From: on the way to Bellport

    Send private message
    Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:30 am  

    These are amazing Allan. I especially like your epigraphs by Iggwilv.
    CF Admin

    Joined: Jun 29, 2001
    Posts: 1537
    From: Wichita, KS, USA

    Send private message
    Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:40 pm  

    Thanks Marc!—writing the bits and fragments of lore is one of my favorite aspects of designing for Greyhawk :)

    Allan.
    _________________
    Allan Grohe (grodog@gmail.com)
    http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html
    Novice

    Joined: Jun 26, 2024
    Posts: 1


    Send private message
    Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:35 am  

    I appreciate your summary, there are a lot of fascinating items.
    CF Admin

    Joined: Jul 28, 2001
    Posts: 681
    From: on the way to Bellport

    Send private message
    Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:07 am  

    grodog wrote:
    Thanks Marc!—writing the bits and fragments of lore is one of my favorite aspects of designing for Greyhawk :)

    Allan.

    I agree. Evoking the world through the author's distinctive "voice" is quite fun.

    And thanks for linking in that article to this one, Planar Architecture for grodog's Current Greyhawk Campaigns, which I hadn't prior read and am now presently amidst (just starting to read about Oerth's "sister worlds").

    I've not well developed gates IMCs, but I have liked what Paizo / Pathfinder did with their aiudaras (elf-gates) but with thoughts to broaden them as entrances to Faerie, or perhaps individual pocket dimensions of particular fairies / nature spirits that in turn connect to Faerie / the First World.
    CF Admin

    Joined: Jul 28, 2001
    Posts: 681
    From: on the way to Bellport

    Send private message
    Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:20 pm  

    grodog wrote:
    "Faerie" - in some form or other - the homeland of elves and fey; probably won't be an alternate Prime, but more like the Shadow Plane or Ethereal, in that it's accessible from many Primes (via regio-like zones from Ars Magica/Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood), https://grodog.blogspot.com/2020/05/planar-architecture-for-grodog-greyhawk-campaigns.html

    That's spot on, and thanks for informing me about Mythago Wood—about to check whether it's available in my public library!
    CF Admin

    Joined: Jun 29, 2001
    Posts: 1537
    From: Wichita, KS, USA

    Send private message
    Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:42 pm  

    mtg wrote:
    grodog wrote:
    Thanks Marc!—writing the bits and fragments of lore is one of my favorite aspects of designing for Greyhawk :)

    Allan.

    I agree. Evoking the world through the author's distinctive "voice" is quite fun.


    Yes, and trying to emulate that voice in new works in a fun, and tantalizing challenge :)

    I’ve begun to specifically create new lore fragments for Iggwilv, The Fables of Burdock, and other in-game repositories of lore, in addition to creating new ones (_The Book of Eyes_ in OJ#37, when it releases, will detail another such work; and this reminds me that I need to revisit my original version of _The Whispering Tome_ from Hyqueous Vaults, too (at http://hyqueousvaults.blogspot.com/ ), as it got chopped down a bit for publication).

    mtg wrote:
    And thanks for linking in that article to this one, Planar Architecture for grodog's Current Greyhawk Campaigns, which I hadn't prior read and am now presently amidst (just starting to read about Oerth's "sister worlds").


    That term is one that I borrowed from Michael Moorcock, who describes the plane of the dreaded “halflings” (more like ghoulish demons, and I’m sure a nod to his dislike of Tolkien ;) ) in _The Eternal Champion_ as a “ghost world” or “sister world” to the home plane of the Eldren (or perhaps I’m slightly conflating those with the planes from Corum’s worlds??).

    mtg wrote:
    I've not well developed gates IMCs, but I have liked what Paizo / Pathfinder did with their aiudaras (elf-gates) but with thoughts to broaden them as entrances to Faerie, or perhaps individual pocket dimensions of particular fairies / nature spirits that in turn connect to Faerie / the First World.


    I know nothing about PF, so any pointers to books that focus on these elf gates would be very appreciated: I picked up a bunch of ICE’s ShadowWorld books and sets for similar research/inspirational reading.

    mtg wrote:
    grodog wrote:
    "Faerie" - in some form or other - the homeland of elves and fey; probably won't be an alternate Prime, but more like the Shadow Plane or Ethereal, in that it's accessible from many Primes (via regio-like zones from Ars Magica/Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood), https://grodog.blogspot.com/2020/05/planar-architecture-for-grodog-greyhawk-campaigns.html

    That's spot on, and thanks for informing me about Mythago Wood—about to check whether it's available in my public library!


    De nada!—you’re in for a treat, and if your library doesn’t have a copy let me know, as I probably have a spare. Mythago Wood (which I got turned onto via Moorcock’s blurb praising it on the pb cover) is great, and is definitely part of my inspiration for my treatment of the missing Folio Forest too: https://grodog.blogspot.com/2020/04/the-strange-case-of-the-forgotten-folio-forest.html

    Allan.
    _________________
    Allan Grohe (grodog@gmail.com)
    http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html


    Last edited by grodog on Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

    Joined: Jul 28, 2001
    Posts: 681
    From: on the way to Bellport

    Send private message
    Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:44 pm  

    This is a solid overview of the Pathfinder aiudaras (elf gates), https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Elf_gate, with good references, including a recent PF 2e Adventure Path, Gatewalkers, from last year, and its Player's Guide. Also, here's a PF 1e ritual spell, Aiudara Activation.
    CF Admin

    Joined: Jun 29, 2001
    Posts: 1537
    From: Wichita, KS, USA

    Send private message
    Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:47 pm  

    mtg wrote:
    This is a solid overview of the Pathfinder aiudaras (elf gates), https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Elf_gate, with good references, including a recent PF 2e Adventure Path, Gatewalkers, from last year, and its Player's Guide. Also, here's a PF 1e ritual spell, Aiudara Activation.


    Some interesting ideas in the wiki article, thanks Marc! I’ll check out the other references too!

    Allan.
    _________________
    Allan Grohe (grodog@gmail.com)
    http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html
    Display posts from previous:   
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

    Jump to:  

    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum




    Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

    Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!


    Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

    PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.32 Seconds